• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My slooooowwwwww build thread :)

you need to fix that cluster f*ck of wires coming off the battery. i would jump it and test the alternator. make sure you unhook the jumper cables before testing
Will do this. AND I KNOW I HATE IT. When money come I'm making a priority list. Those wires are disgusting. Just like my headlight harness. I want to redo most of it.

if your gonna daily drive that thing you need to get both those cables replaced. if need be go to the u pull it and grab a decent set of used ones and clean them up. take the batt and alt and have them tested. then see what u have

Thank you skreed. Good idea about the junkyard. Most likely my dad will help me out tomorrow. We will see. I been doing a lot to get my life on the right track and they obviously see that. And I will most likely end up doing that. Removing the alternator and battery and taking it to an auto place to get tested.

Here are some photos and videos.

After a bit of a charge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX2Pq9lb9Y8
Removing the negative cable while engine is running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jecMY3uPpPA

Also I put the tester on the alternator as best as I could. And as far as I seen there was no charge what so ever.

Photos. For whatever reasons.

This was my battery under a load. Without putting it under a load it was sitting at about 12 volts (I'd imagine it still needed more charging as I drained it a lot last night)
dscf4208.jpg

Was scoping out where the cables from the alternator went to.
dscf4216.jpg

alternator>fusebox>positive terminal
dscf4218.jpg

dscf4219a.jpg

My starter is really oil and I got a drip coming off that filter (I tightened it well last oil change. 1 Week ago)
dscf4220o.jpg

Wiring clusterXXXX. You can see the one cable I replaced 1 week ago.

dscf4221.jpg

black box thing on alt > ground on block
dscf4222.jpg

dscf4233i.jpg

dscf4241m.jpg

dscf4242.jpg

dscf4245a.jpg

From what I conclude I think the alternator is dead and I need to beef up and fix my craptastic cabling.

Question. If I were to get a new alternator tomorrow. Should I go for the Durango alternator? If so what part#/year? From what I seen in other threads you have to "grind" the bracket a tiny bit. In the future the extra power will be nice. (upgrade fuses in the future as well). I am thinking I want to replace my a/c compressor with the alternator and get the right belt (part#?). I'm just wondering if a Durango alt would fit on top okay.

A/c dont work btw I could care less I'm a window guy/

Last edited:
I'm still not sold that the battery is the correct size for the truck but since you are low on cash I'm sure it will work for now. If your alt is shot...if it was me I would just get a stock replacement. I got one off ebay for 65 shipped. You can try to get a used one but its gonna be a crap shoot if its a good one. I was going to put my alt up top but I did a lot of research and just didn't feel comfortable with the way it mounted in the AC comp bracket, also fabbing something up is not my strong suit. If you want you ac stuff out of the way...do as I did and rip all your AC stuff out. then get your self a delete pulley.

It's just a spare pully correct? I was sold that you can just get a different sized belt and no need for that. And I suppose I will just go with a stock alternator. Ebay however will take too long. I would neat to pick it up tomorrow.

Yeah its just a pulley on a bracket that bolts into where your ac comp would. But you could worry about that later. If you have another working alt I would swap it out at least to try it out and see if it makes a difference.

Not saying an alt relocation can;t be done...i just dont care to fab something up. As for the shorter belt you have to make sure all the pullies are turning the correct way. When I looked into this the prob was that the water pump needs to turn a certain way to wrk. Again not sure but I think the 90 renix engine pulleys are positioned different than the HO motors pulleys.

Not saying an alt relocation can;t be done...i just dont care to fab something up. As for the shorter belt you have to make sure all the pullies are turning the correct way. When I looked into this the prob was that the water pump needs to turn a certain way to wrk. Again not sure but I think the 90 renix engine pulleys are positioned different than the HO motors pulleys.

Yeah now that I looked at it again. It is a pain in the ass.

Today I will most likely pull the battery and alternator and bring to to the parts store for testing.

edit:
I'm going to drive my jeep to the auto parts place right by me (Car port) to have them battery/alternator tested. The battery was on charge all night. I am pretty sure my battery is fine.

Last edited:
Alternator is bad.
Let's see how today turns out.

Going to pull the alternator and the junkyard said they will replace it.

Last edited:
Old alternator / fork for getting that ZJ tie rod end I left at the junkyard
dscf4247q.jpg

ZOMG I FINALLY DID IT!??!
dscf4249j.jpg

dscf4250y.jpg

Just got back from the junkyard. I wish there was more/better U pulls around. This place is always swampy and hard to navigate. I had to ask them to move a cherokee for me. I pulled an alternator out of a 91 and I got the zj tie rod end. (Didn't pay a cent being that I traded my bad alternator in and they owed me that tie rod end lol)

Going to throw the alt in now.

Holy freakin crap.

So I got the alternator in and I took it for a test drive. Seems to be charging fine and my steering feels a lot more solid now.

What happened? Well I have to say I drove no more than 2 miles. I shifted to neutral (auto trans) and turned the key off while rolling. I went to start it again and NOTHING. So I had to roll in front of someones house. Where it is at right now (They let me park it there). If you notice in the first post I had a engine code. Something to do with the TCM.

Here is exactly how it feels. I turn my key on. Lights gauges everything engages fine. As if the battery is fully charged (which it is) when I turn the ignition on I get absolutely nothing. No clicks or anything. It feels as if I am in drive or something other than park or neutral and trying to start it. I tried moving the shifter back and forth to see if it would help. But same deal. I disconnected my battery for a couple of minutes and reconnected and still the same problem.

Please help my mosey :(

Also I should mention that I rushed a little in the end of throwing the alt in. Although everything is connected right. My battery was sitting without being strapped down. And the one "long" bolt that comes out of the battery tray may have fell onto the positive terminal. I'm not sure if this actually happened. But it is something to consider I suppose.

smack your starter with hammer. solenoid may be stuck

Hm. I tried tapping it with a big screw driver with the guy. But seemed to not do anything. I suppose tomorrow morning I can try the hammer. For the meantime. Any other suggestions I can pile up? Fuel pump kicks in and everything. Radio shuts off as if it is trying to start. But not a thing.

Back