• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new XJ

the fronts got new gears in it...i can drive it, i just cant engage 4wheel. in 2high the front isnt connected, it just spins freely. so it still drives the same as before...once the 8.8 is in it will make a difference in how it drives.

looks good man!
i'd like to gear mine soon...
...maybe with the 4.56s you won't have to bump it as bad to crawl those curbs! :laugh:

well...now i have a coolant leak. wonderful. looks like ill be buying a new radiator next month. im gonna try to patch this one for the jamboree, since im pretty much broke right now. its dripping from the drain valve, about a drop every few seconds.

Can you wrap the petcock in some teflon tape to get a good seal on it?

its this stupid looking plastic valve, with no room to get to it. when i loosened it...i guess it lost its seal or something. im going to try tonight to seal it up. the thing is a pain to move at all, you have to use pliers just to turn it.

i know of this drain!... it's in the worst possible place ever...
good luck with the repair...

i tried sealing it, no luck. the stupid plastic part broke in half...so it wont close the valve. I just bought a new radiator last night, it'll be at my house today. May have to push the axle install til later this weekend.

ill be puttin the radiator in tonight. never swapped one before, so it'll take me some time. after this and the jamboree...the jeep is getting put on hold for the rest of the summer. ive spent too much on it and neglected other projects i need to get working on.

hey man, that radiator is super easy! it only takes me about 20 minutes to swap one in! all you have to do is pull out that stamped plate above the radiator, and be careful takin the a/c condensor offa the radiator. when you refill the system, fill it up while the motor is running, and it will cut back on how many bubbles you get trapped in the head and hoses.... call me if you have any questions...

I pulled my radiator the other night .. took about an hour including all the coolant and trans fluid. I've never done one either, but it was super simple. Presumably, I should be able to put the new one in pretty easy.

Though, my rad wasn't connected to the condenser at all.

yeah, mine was in an 87, and i have a 5spd, so no tranny cooler lines. i just junked my a/c stuff, and went with the new style radiator. i was a little kamikaze when i did it too, so if you're tryin to do it right it might take a little longer i guess.....

well i got it all knocked out, here's a few pics:

newradiator001.jpg

old piece of crap out:
newradiator002.jpg

newradiator003.jpg

new radiator from 1-800 radiator. 120 bux, free shipping, came in under 24 hours:
newradiator004.jpg

stuff i had to take out:
newradiator005.jpg

new tranny cooler:
newradiator006.jpg

i cut the tranny cooler lines off, extended them, and ran them to this cooler i found at the junk yard. all filled up with fluid, no leaks. temps are averaging 5 degrees cooler, and sitting waiting at the drive-through, it wouldnt go over 209...MUCH better!

nicely done my friend!!!

...i've found that taking a couple extra things off and out of the way can save you time and hassle in the long run... and i'd say you removed just about anything possible that could have held you up, lol...

what time did you order from them? phone/online? that's pretty quick! they must have a warehouse near nashville or something...

nicely done my friend!!!

...i've found that taking a couple extra things off and out of the way can save you time and hassle in the long run... and i'd say you removed just about anything possible that could have held you up, lol...

what time did you order from them? phone/online? that's pretty quick! they must have a warehouse near nashville or something...

i ordered it around 7pm last night, it was at my moms house by noon today. i got lucky with the trans cooler...the lines just happened to be the exact size i needed for the fittings.

Back