• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep build with photos over the last few years.

A drop pitman with make your angles worse. Imo a drop pitman is never the answer on an xj.

I think a trackbar upgrade is in order. One that puts the frame end in double sheer. They usually drop the frame mount a bit and that will make your angles just about perfect

Last edited:
Track bar will match drag angle.

But I need to lock down drag angle first. Right now its 6deg angle drop pitman will make it 3 or 4 deg.

I wont be running thr factory truck again as pictured it will bump steer like crazy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Couldn't sleep so did some mock up.
I bought a frame side mount but it wont work and holes are half off

Drag and track bar will be nearly the same length and perfectly parallel.
I do wish steering was up 1" that would considerably flatten angle.

But this 6 deg isnt bad. Its actually 6.4

Wondering about oil pan clearance have 3" on the high side of track bar. I think it will clear at full stuff . I may put track bar in lower axle side hole and build frame side to match

So far nothing is burned in anywhere.

Tomorrow plate frame cut track bar to mach drag length and build the bracket to anchor it on the frame side.
f84a61975132c224ec4dae2ded2783de.jpg
695fe2cb24a6a6066fc3b86d03e46115.jpg
6ae8b896eed96be6a4e0347914864a34.jpg
6f890aea32894ee2e66f772530617fc1.jpg

Nice! Should be about perfect!!

As for the tb... it is at a fixed point on the high side (driver) so that side can’t get higher... and for the passenger side to hit the oil pan- your wheel would be waaay through the fender I’d bet

At least that’s the geometry I see in my head. Mine is mounted where the uca was... and never has touched the oil pan. Clearance issues with tb are usually it hitting the diff on full driver side stuff. With no bends on yours that’s what I’d be testing for before calling it good personally

Last edited:
Measured measurements ughhhh
I think I'm ready to burn this chicken coup
Well I'm at my photo limit. Darn

Imagur i think is easiest to host

I got hung on a down tree on the lower control arm bushing so I'm plated through the track bracket down to 2" from the control arm bushing.

Steering feels very good offroad however Rcp is correct in calling out the steering flop or wonder. Steering is tighter than the original xj steering but has more wonder then I'd like for knew steering. Ilbe ordering the cure fro ruff stuff but it's not a huge priority. I've also been unable to get the high angle link on the pitman to take grease. That really bugs me.

Suspension feels softer on the slow crawling ledgy stuff and theres not even hint of bump steer.

I'm pretty excited about this upgrade steering and suspension feel better in one wack
be9fc99ef03a92beb26300f6b2f8c051.jpg
217097aa8a7bea28343f842f58b0019b.jpg
66a5eb2e4c373021fd81060a267e81ac.jpg
c2dc64f852b6f8c11ce3bc4ca285803a.jpg
487746ff57a2353ff381cb1870b388dd.jpg
60364aef21281432d56562fd2984c1bb.jpg

Stock lower control arm mounts?
The plate/ skid should reinforce them... But they are flimsy... And is a hellish return home once ripped off.

I know you got a lot you are doing to her... Just thought Id throw out the weak link and save some headache dtl.

Steering looks beefy. The inverted Y (or T as RCP called it) aint horrible. Without dubJ knuckles I think you have as good as it can get. I wouldnt worry about it personally. Until you can score some knuckles the current serup should be just fine. I ran about the same in my ZJ, and it held up fine. Hell, a common upgrade for stock xjs is the stock zj steering- which yours is a waaay stronger than IMO a solid upgrade

I'm not worried one bit.

Your right.
I've got another axle planned to go in. I consider this my practice axle.
I'd definitely like to do some beefy lower mounts.

Pics dont show it but these are mangled pretty good.

Noticing some rock rash on my sliders thinking about playing 5" of the sliders with 1/4" before the get mangled.

Been thinking about gears to. Ughhhh so much to do.
a521db2b38c7fdd93caf7068a0323a5c.jpg

I looked back a bit in your thread but dont see the brand of steering kit you used. Ruffstuff has this thing called the Cure. Its a delrin style boot for your drag link tie rod to prevent the flop that can make the steering feel like it has a dead spot. Your angles are fantastic but inverted t inherently has that issue.

Props to ruff stuff. I called to tell them my hi angle tie rid end isn't taking grease there sending another one no questions asked.

It's the little things.
I've had shit for brakes and the pedal started going to the floor. I've been neglecting the rear brakes because theyl soon be disc.
Last night I broke down and adjusted them. Pedal is firm now and goes no where near the floor

Rcp
I'm thinking about buying a esab 235 mig only. I've only ever ran Miller and Hobart I'd love to buy a blue 252but that's more moolah than I have. esab has a good following.
The esab 215 pro is also being considered its alot of machine
1500-2200

Rcp
I'm thinking about buying a esab 235 mig only. I've only ever ran Miller and Hobart I'd love to buy a blue 252but that's more moolah than I have. esab has a good following.
The esab 215 pro is also being considered its alot of machine
1500-2200

I recently purchased the Esab 235 mig only to replace my old Lincoln powermig 215.

For me, it was night and day. The Esab is an excellent machine. I couldn't be happier with it. I got it from IOC welding supplies. Best price I could find and fast shipping. Highly recommend the Esab and IOC.

Wish I had done it sooner.

Jonny
Thank you for the reply.

I've been reading alot on it. It sounds like alot more machine than my Hobart 180 that I've been torturing

Not sure what's going to happen with this but stated doing something last night.
11193bd06a5ad486ab776dc0ae5ad2ab.jpg

Clearancing a hp30 non disco axle for the RS steering and TB relocation?

*we’ve gone over the LCA mounts already... so I’d be remiss if we didn’t mention how flimsy the stock passenger side UCA mount is... the most flimsy of em all in fact. Def can get with the swap to delete the disco garbage on the other... but this mount DEF needs to be played and gussets added

Fwiw

I think I'm going strip it to bare tubes. Still deciding. It's so dang rusty I think i have t strip. And yes man the upper mount is paper thin the cad axles upper is beefy in comparison.

I took the jeep straight fro burning welds t going on cam trip so never got a chance to see what contacts.

At full stuff tire bumping fender, track is just barely touching oil pan. The nut on the frame track bar heim is marking the coil spring. But just barely I never hear it. I think itl self clearance.
Othere than that it feels great I get n steering imput crawling slow and havent found situation yet where I cant steer.

I have a iron rock joint to see what they're all about. I think I like it. Not sure I'll use them or heims though.

Ruff stuff hi angle tie rod end is enroute.

Been eyeing the iron rock truss with coil mounts and brackets. I've emailed them to see if they can do the truss minus shock mounts , track bar and sway bar brackets. Basically a stripped down version. But man that's a spendy truss..

Sitting here trying to figure out what these gladiator coils are about. They seem ideyto the stock xj maybe feel stiffer under my weight. I wonder what the plastic things purpose on coils is. Noise?

I'm better get to bed or I'll hack that 30 up and maybe regret it tomorrow
74431a6582aba4451d93164c667dd107.jpg
d091120d5365c45763bed218978ee8af.jpg
a047dde65f0e94f1f7003abbb367248a.jpg
a31df310c8f83d5d8e8de9a78a902b08.jpg
1f193bc4e719ab775de042b128ecf376.jpg

Back