• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Homemade rear bar and carrier

quickie little question. . .

just wondering why you opted to keep the hitch?
you could have easily built one into your bumper... save some ground clearnace & a little weight....

other than that question... thats one of the nicest cleanest bumpers ive ever seen. . . props to you man. . .

Here in Australia if you have a hitch it gets inspected at the yearly inspection. If it's not a rated hitch then you wont pass the inspection. Other than that I fell more comfortable towing with something that has been tested and is rated :) It actually doesn't eat up much ground clearance as it butts up to the end of the fuel tank skid and sort of follows the lines of that.

I would have liked to get rid of it though, mostly for the weight saving more than anything else :(

Cheers
Steve

Excellent work Steve.

Do you have a profile pic that shows the tire in relation to the hatch?

karstic said:
Excellent work Steve.

Do you have a profile pic that shows the tire in relation to the hatch?

This is the best I could find, if you want a closer one let me know and I'll grab a shoot tomorrow :) It's running 32x11.5x15 here. The arm just sits out past the old number plate light and as you can see there is room to go to a bigger tyre, say a 33x12.5 up to about a 38 if I felt like it :)

Wheels_020_nonum.jpg

menai_flex_BIG.sized.jpg

Cheers
Steve

WOW, just noticed this thread has had over 10,000 views and is the 18th most viewed thread (I had to know ;) ) in this section......

Might have to post up my camper build as well now :)

Cheers
Steve

Looks great!!!!! I like how you connect the bumper into the body with the ends. I would have swapped the bumper brake lights for some huge back up lights.....But thats just me. I like it a lot and I have been thinking of making my oun as well.

Just the view I was looking for.

Have you any problems with the tire carrier rattling? How is the latch holding up?

I'm not going to lie... it looked kinda amateur at first.... can you make me one?!?!? haha, I like it better than ARB.

you should incorporate some reverse lights...

Back