• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My FitchBox (tm)

you need to make sure they have an indentation in the side of them. that can be seen in the last picture if you look at the one that's pointing up and to the right. it has a indentation at the bottom. that's for the retaining clip on the box to snap into to keep the terminal from getting pushed out of the bottom

You guys inspired me to build one of these myself. It has turned out great so far, just need to pick up some terminal strips to mount on the box for easy connecting and I'm done. I would post pics but I'm not a member :(

I second the motion to call this a FitchBox (tm), now and forever. :worship: Thanks for the great write-ups Fitch.

Quick question: Where did you guys pull the positive power for the switches? I will be mounting mine on the overhead console as well, and I'm trying to figure out if I can just tap into the light wiring or if I need to run a wire from the fuse box.

Well I finally got off my lazy bum and finished this thing. It took a new soldering iron, some more crimps, and about 2 or 3 hours of my time to complete, but I'm happy with it. I also had to ditch the high-dollar fosgate wiring, but it will be used on my headlight harness. However, the wiring is still 10awg, just cheaper stuff. I kept everything mega simple, as I've had some wicked creepy electrical bug/fires in the cars I've owned... Should be able to handle any accessories I run. I also did the barrier strips differently, meaning not at all. The only ones I could find were so tiny they looked like they were intended for 20awg speaker signal cable. So I came up with the simplest of simple ideas...

P1010161.jpg

P1010162.jpg

P1010163.jpg

P1010164.jpg

P1010169.jpg

Thats nice!! I like the use of the bolts. Are they just bass bolts? I'll have to see if I can find some for the next one I build. I got one finished for my buddies TJ and it worked out great. Now I need to finish mine and I have an order for 2 more. I used 10 awg from the relays and 4 awg to the fuse block. I also used the block with 8 fuses and used 30 and 15 amp relays.

Yes they are brass bolts. I wanted copper, but nobody made them so brass was next in line. Home Depot has an entire section in theid hardware isle that has brass bolts, buts, washers, etc...

Great job, and excellent idea with the bolts! I don't know why I didn't think of that. Especially cuz I have access to copper bolts.

Lucky! I had a ton laying around, but I swear they were used to hold together microprocessors or something lol. Splitz what did you do about the switch box?

You should be using sockets for the relays and sealed relays to keep moisture out. Other than that the cat5 is nice and modular.

... This will all be inside

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a relay harness with bigger than 14 gauge wiring. Mine is 10. The connections themselves will be fine, all that will touch IF something does move, are the plastic covers.

Great Idea, Almost done with mine, ran out of connectors for the 10 awg.

Front View
Picture015.jpg

Back View
Picture016.jpg

I already have a small wire cable 24awg running to my light switches inside, so I only need a couple feet of cat6 to run to my switch block under the hood, so I didn't go to the extra expense of getting the cat5 connector out of the box.

FitchVA said:
very very nice!

Thanks, and thanks for the nice write-ups

Fitch, I want to thank you for the great wrie up on this. I am building my third one now and have another one to build for another one of my club members. These are great I just need to figure what else I can add to the jeep so that I can use all of the switches.

DanMan2k06 said:
Looks good! No cat5 port though?

Since my switch panel in my overhead console was already wired up I only need, maybe, a 15 inch run front my "FitchBox TM" to where my switchblock is located. That and there is no more room in this box with all the 10 awg. If I make another I will probably run the power with 14, that should be plenty to carry the current.

jwtrapper said:
Fitch, I want to thank you for the great wrie up on this. I am building my third one now and have another one to build for another one of my club members. These are great I just need to figure what else I can add to the jeep so that I can use all of the switches.
glad i could help. it's nice to see people getting use out of the writeups. :cheers: but it sucks to see these relay boxes when they're nicer than mine :gag: :)

Back