• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My FitchBox (tm)

what like how many watts the circuit can hold?

P = I * E

So, if you have a 25 amp fuse at 13 volts you can draw up to 325 watts before your fuse trips.

I think that's how it works.

No I mean before the fuses. On the low voltage circuit. How much wattage/amperage does it take to trip the coil. I'm trying to figure out what gauge to make my ground wire.

Well I am a bit disappointed. I'm gonna have to get a bigger enclosure. The 6x4x2 just isn't big enough to have 10 gauge wiring shooting all over the place. I was almost done too :( and there's just no more space. I'll go to the shack tomorrow and pick up the next biggest enclosure.

It definately is tight. It seemed like it took me longer to figure out how I was going to lay everything out than putting it together. And I still got it wrong!

bandit455 said:
so tell me if i understand this

the box is used to mount switches without having the run the wires directly to the switch

right?

No, not really. Its part of the switch in that it is required so you don't run the full current through the switch. It is just a holder for relays so that they can be wired efficently and stored efficently. It allows seperation between switches and the relays...ie now you can mount your switches up next to you where you want and your relays in the back where there is more room or in your engine bay near the battery, or wherever you want them.

I think most people are mounting them in that empty space across from the factory spare location. Although, you can mount it anywhere. Under the back seat would be fine, unless you ever go in water... or if your XJ leaks.

whatevah said:
I think most people are mounting them in that empty space across from the factory spare location. Although, you can mount it anywhere. Under the back seat would be fine, unless you ever go in water... or if your XJ leaks.

Yeah, good possible locations. I was wondering if they had found a sweet spot underhood. I can think of a couple possible spots but will have to check for available space.

Yeah, mines under the hood on top of the fuse box, wedged under one of the AC freon tubes. I would take a picture, but I have some "temporary" wire under there that I'm too embarrassed to show.

I saw somewhere at NAXJA i think that a guy was using a OEM underhood fuse/relay block out of a ZJ to do this job. I was looking at going that route cause all you do is pop in fuses and relays but you have to rewire the bottomhalf of it.

I think i am going to combine both ideas. This Fitchbox is great!

ramjet308 said:
I saw somewhere at NAXJA i think that a guy was using a OEM underhood fuse/relay block out of a ZJ to do this job. I was looking at going that route cause all you do is pop in fuses and relays but you have to rewire the bottomhalf of it.

I think i am going to combine both ideas. This Fitchbox is great!
i bought one of the factory boxes as well. but i haven't found a source of the female terminals that the relays and fuses plug into. they're a certain kind that snap into the box so they don't get pushed out. if you find them, please please please let me know. :D

Without trying to hijack the thread... I will see where i saw the write up and try and send you the link.

FitchVA said:
i bought one of the factory boxes as well. but i haven't found a source of the female terminals that the relays and fuses plug into. they're a certain kind that snap into the box so they don't get pushed out. if you find them, please please please let me know. :D

I was bored and drew up a quick basic PCB for a 40amp 6relay pcb board pack all the connectors on one side. Only real issue is costs going this route.

23$ plus shipping for relays, 10$ for the cat5 socket and connection points for the relay output. Don't even ask about pcb production costs.

oh and FYI, you can buy 10 SPDT 40amp relays on ebay for like 15$ shipped, 25 if you want sockets.

ramjet308 said:
thanks for the link

i attempted this back in '05 and have limited success.

i didn't want to reuse the wires they had installed so i tried what that guy did. uncrimping those connectors was impossible. they either broke when uncrimping or when recrimping.

pictures of the connections before i broke 'em all:

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

Back