• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

must haves for lift install?

Stripers247 said:
by BFH do you mean like a rubber mallet type instrument or an actual hammer?

It depends on what you are hitting. I usually keep a heavy brass hammer, a big deadblow, and a sledge around.

JoesXJ said:
A drill and tough bits to get get the rear shock mounts bolts drilled out after they break.....and they will.

I didn't have any trouble with mine used plenty of PB blast thew two weeks leading up to the install though

MisterFubar said:
Ship the kit to me and I'll install it on my XJ and do a step by step write up with pictures for you. Then when you order another kit for yourself you should be able to do it without any problems.

Seriously though, I think everyone pretty much covered everything you need, although I didn't see anyone mention a running vehicle. It seems everytime I work on something I have to run to the store to pick up something.

I actually had to run when I did mine. That was fun

Since it seems it will be at least a few days before you get started... Go ahead and start spraying stuff with PB Blaster, especially the upper rear shock mounts.

It is amazing what this stuff will free up if you let it soak for a couple days. I did this and have never broken a suspension bolt on my XJ, and I have had it at 2",3",4.5", and 6" over it's lifetime.

Fortunately, my Jeep really didn't have rust to deal with......However, when I first got my F150 (DD), the rear diff check plug was extremely tight and rusted (truck was from Michigan). I was at the point of almost stripping it, so I stopped and sprayed it for a few days with PB. When I went back out to check it, the plug came right out with little effort!

BFH generally means a sledge, the smaller handheld ones.
A dead blow comes in handy as well, it's kinda like a rubber mallet, but without the kickback, not really a BFH though.
Just don't use a claw hammer, they are for wood!

NateST said:
Don't forget the sawzall/angle grinder etc, if you want to do some extra trimming (assuming your getting bigger tires as well) might as well do it while your putting your lift on.

OP is in the Northeast--don't forget a torch and possibly a welder (speaking from experience with my rear shocks and springs) in addition to the Sawzall.

JoesXJ said:
A drill and tough bits to get get the rear shock mounts bolts drilled out after they break.....and they will.

Being from the Rustbelt yours probably will break. Just PB blast it for a few days prior and maybe you will get lucky.

Frank Z said:
If you've got alot of rust, PB Blaster is great. I'd go one step further and suggest trying to tighten the bolts you plan on removing before trying to loosen them. Sounds bassakwards, but it does help in alot of cases.

Ha ha! I did that on just about every damn bolt, but on accident. :doh:

I either had the rachet switched wrong or got my right-tighty / lefty-loosey backwards after crawling into position to reach the bolts. Actually about half way through the install, I started to think it was helping me out..turns out it may have!

Drill an 1/8 inch hole above the bolt on the nut side of the rear spring carriers and shoot some of that PB in the hole once every day or so untill you do your lift. That little trick I learned saved my from an arson charge and prison time!!!:yelclap:

picked up some pb blaster...been sprayin it down everyday...been through about 1 1/2 cans so far.

reading through the posts of other installs, like you guys have noted, the rear shock mount bolts might become a problem...aswell as maybe some other bolts...

my question is, there seems to be a multitude of methods in getting the broken bolts out....what do you guys think is the most straight foward way?

ive found a method where you drill it out, then use a tap and dye to rethread then rebolt...i was gonna go in this direction then i started reading about other ways...idk which is better/less time consuming/straight foward

gixxer410 said:
Drill an 1/8 inch hole above the bolt on the nut side of the rear spring carriers and shoot some of that PB in the hole once every day or so untill you do your lift. That little trick I learned saved my from an arson charge and prison time!!!:yelclap:

the connection where the leaf spring connects to the body towards under the rear seats?

ive decided im going to make things easier on myself and motivate myself to get going into future projects and pick up some air tools.

are there any specs i should go by??

to power the impact wrench i figure i need a tank that will put out around 5 CFM @ 90psi....i dont know though if i should get a 3/8" or 1/2 impact wrench and what torque rating it should handle?

any words of wisom?

def go the 1/2 impact wrench for any serious action. i keep a 3/8 right angle for some stuff, but barely use it. get the highest torque rated, but torque adjustable wrench you can get. sometimes they can be useful for just twisting bolts off, and then you can turn it down if need be. just my 2c

Stripers247 said:
ive decided im going to make things easier on myself and motivate myself to get going into future projects and pick up some air tools.

are there any specs i should go by??

to power the impact wrench i figure i need a tank that will put out around 5 CFM @ 90psi....i dont know though if i should get a 3/8" or 1/2 impact wrench and what torque rating it should handle?

any words of wisom?

For your 1/2 drive go Ingersoll Rand. 200 series are nice. For my 3/8 stuff I went with harbor freight because they are cheap to replace. Your 1/2 impact is your most imortant so get a good one. 3/8 I would just get an air rachet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INGERSOLL-RAND-IR-231G-1-2-INCH-AIR-IMPACT-WRENCH_W0QQitemZ220130668904QQihZ012QQcategoryZ73110QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

get a pickle fork if you need to do a trac bar and if your thinkin bout a spring compressor id forget it and get some rachet straps and just do those, worked great for me and my frineds cuz the guys at schucks rented us out the spring compressor that goes inside the coil like for a strut

alexer03 said:
get a pickle fork if you need to do a trac bar and if your thinkin bout a spring compressor id forget it and get some rachet straps and just do those, worked great for me and my frineds cuz the guys at schucks rented us out the spring compressor that goes inside the coil like for a strut

how did you set up those ratchet straps?

the lift and tires are sitting in my garage..im gonna get in there on fri morn bright and early.

never mind...i see now..
1278.jpg

Stripers247 said:
never mind...i see now..
1278.jpg

In all my years as a mechanic I have never seen it done like this :shocked: I realy wish I would have thought of this though, looks much easier and safer than the bulky compressor Ive been using for years. Dude, mad props man!!!!!

Back