• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor install help needed

HEP111

NAXJA Forum User
What would you take to help me install my engine?
I work at a bar; gladly provide the beer;hell, would trade ammo or other assets if not too out of the blue...
East Bay
Thanks for looking!
scott

a few more details would be needed before showing just up. Do you have tools or not. What year the engine is. Is it an engine swap or was the engine rebuilt. When would you like it done. Things like that. Id love to help but I'm not driving out to san pablo without a few more details about the situation.

Thank you for the responses gents.

And I value your time and comments. So to help those that would help me, here's some specifics.

In no particular order. 99 XJ, locked, trussed, lifted, blah blah....putting In a renix stroker motor that I pulled from my old 89 jeep. I have a lift, engine stand, air/hand tools required. I've done a couple engine swaps, but the main thing I really need help lining up the motor to the transmission, and putting the flywheel on to the torque converter. Something has been completely kicking my ass as far as mating the engine to the tranny. I've never had it be this hard before. Suffice to say I probably was a little younger at the time, and didn't have a recovering broken back from too many tours overseas. I'm available during the day, as I generally work at night. I am off all day and night Sundays and Mondays. I used to be in search and rescue, and I know how it feels that you want to help somebody is... you also need them to help themselves first. So here is the long winded explanation for you. I basically just want this vehicle to get up and running once more just so I can go camping. Ive literally had this project take years for me to do...dragging the jeep and motor everywhere. Such is my narcissism lol.

Thank you for your generosity of time and good intentions. Theres a reason Ive enjoyed Jeeping so much throughout my life...good ppl.

well the 89 is 21 spline and your 99 is 23 spline. so what tranny are you using ?

and the 89 and 99 have different flex plates I think

Just to complicate matters
Old Jeep: 89 I6 ax-15
New Jeep:99 I6 AW-4
Switched the flexplate (drive plate) over from the 99 onto the Renix, differing ' plate bolts (shorter I know...), umm as far as I know from there its a straight swap yes???

Last edited:
How thoroughly have you researched the swap to make sure it will work? I dont know off the top of my head that it will work. Is it just the long block ? renix has a different TPS, it has a knock sensor, different MAT sensor, and im sure more than that even.

- Did you remove the bushing around where the old pilot bushing was. If you don't the snout of the torque converter won't fit into the crank. I had to drill a couple holes in mine and hammer and chisel it out. Now that I'm swapping in a manual again I have to find a new bushing and press it in so it will accept a new pilot bushing.

- Spline isn't really an issue as that has to do with the out put of the trans.

- Did you remove the bushing around where the old pilot bushing was. If you don't the snout of the torque converter won't fit into the crank. I had to drill a couple holes in mine and hammer and chisel it out. Now that I'm swapping in a manual again I have to find a new bushing and press it in so it will accept a new pilot bushing.

- Spline isn't really an issue as that has to do with the out put of the trans.

This seems like the most logical soloution. As far has how to get the pilot bearing assy from the crank, try an old mechanics trick. Find a punch, rod, or deep socket that will just barely fit into the pilot bearing. It is important that this is a tight fit. Using a grease gun, fill the void in the crankshaft behind the pilot bearing completely with grease. Make sure grease is coming out of the pilot bearing. Insert the punch/rod into the pilot bearing and hit it as hard as you can with a big hammer. The hydraulic action of the grease being pushed in with the rod with push the entire pilot bearing from the crank.

Found this on youtube: http://youtu.be/28bSl4r1kwQ
This guy need to use a slightly bigger bolt and hit it harder, but this should show you the basics on how to do it.

That will get the pilot bearing out but not the bushing. It is pressed into the crank
This is what it looks like
y8e8yme8.jpg

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/716164--pilot-bushing-750quot-id-x-1818quot-od/

Back