• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Morongo Basin SAR Desert Run 10/4

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
WHAT IS THE "DESERT RUN"?

The Desert Run is an off-road course between 15 and 20 miles long with 5 game playing stations along the way and the ½ waypoint has a porta-potty. You’ll encounter some rocks, sandy washes, hills and some extreme areas for the hardcore enthusiast. If you don’t feel comfortable with an obstacle, we’ll direct you to the easy way around. Our event is co-sponsored by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and held at Soggy Dry Lake in Johnson Valley, CA. Our event will have plenty of family fun at Base Camp and a course sure to please everyone. Over 450 vehicles participate annually, making the total attendance at approximately 1800 people. There will be a Balance Beam, Vehicle Articulation Ramp, Kids Games, Bounce House, Prize Drawings, Vendor Displays, Hot Food, 50/50 Drawing! This is not a race, so bring the whole family!!! 4X4, Motorcycles, Quads, Buggies and all other off road vehicles welcome!!!!!

WHO CAN ENTER?

Anyone who can legally drive his or her off-road vehicle in rough terrain. This is a family event and we encourage the whole family to participate. We offer a course designed to challenge everyone’s skills; whether it’s your first time out in your new sport utility or your hundredth in your reconditioned land rover, you’re sure to have a great time! We've included an easy way around tough obstacles. Entering allows you to play 5 different games and become eligible for the door prizes, given away after the event. This is a family event; not a race! So bring the kids and plan on a good time. Course length is between 20-30 miles through the desert, so be sure to bring plenty of water and gas for everyone in your vehicle.

FACILITIES

There is open camping permitted. We provide port-o-johns, a first aid station, a chuck wagon and a trash dumpster at Base Camp. Trash bags are included with your entry packet. Hot food and drinks will be available on Friday till 8PM, Saturday 6AM till 8PM & Sunday 6AM till 9AM at Base Camp. Its 15 miles to the nearest town so bring plenty of water, ice, food and gas!

DIRECTIONS TO THE DESERT RUN

Soggy Dry Lake is about halfway between Yucca Valley and Lucerne Valley off of SR247 (Old Women Springs Rd). Turn North onto Bessemer Mine Road and follow the signs to Base Camp. San Bernardino County Thomas Brothers Map pages 369 H7 or 4482 H5.

RULES & REGULATIONS

Motorcycles, quads, rails & ATV’s must have a current green or red Off-Road sticker. Helmets or seat belts must be worn at all times. No riding in the back of vehicles without proper restraints. Alcohol, firearms, or explosives (such as fireworks) are not allowed on the course. Pets must be on a leash at all times while at Base Camp. The speed limit is 10 MPH around Base Camp and all other campsites. Participants and campers must follow all BLM rules and regulations while on BLM land.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Friday October 3rd

4 PM - 9 PM…Registration is open

4 PM - 8 PM…Vendor displays, T-shirt booth & food booth open

Saturday Oct. 4th

6 AM - 10 AM…Registration is open

6 AM - 8 PM…Chuck Wagon is open

7 AM…Driver’s Briefing at Base Camp stage

8 AM - 10 AM…Starting line is open

10 AM…Starting line closes. All vehicles must be on the course.

6 PM - 8 PM…Trophy Presentation and Prize Giveaway

8 PM…Entertainment at Base Camp

Sunday Oct. 5th

6 AM-9 AM…Chuck Wagon is open

9 AM…Base Camp cleanup & pack/load gear

HOW DO I ENTER?

You can enter at the Registration Booth at the event or save money by Pre-registering. Click Here for a Pre-registration Form. Print the brochure, fill out the form and mail a check or money order to:

Morongo Basin Search and Rescue
P.O. Box 982
Yucca Valley, CA 92286

PRE-REGISTRATION: $55 per playing card; minimum one card per vehicle.

*Check in at Base Camp to receive your packet. Check or money order must be mailed in by September 12, 2008 to receive the discount. Due to the volume of entries, confirmation notices will not be mailed out. However, you may contact us at 760-365-8185 or email us at [email protected] to confirm your entry has been received. If you are paying for more than one entry, be sure to include everyone’s name on the registration form or download additional forms from our web site.

REGISTRATION AT THE EVENT: $60 per playing card; minimum one card per vehicle.
*Check in at the Registration Booth at the times listed above.

WHERE DOES MY ENTRY MONEY GO?

Morongo Basin Search & Rescue is a non-profit volunteer organization with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Dept. The money is used to purchase new equipment and training for the unit.

©2006 Morongo Basin Search & Rescue | www.desertrun.org

Every year I want to go, and every year it either falls on a weekend I have something else, or liek this year, my Jeep isn't running/ready.

This is not a race, so bring the family

This is a family event; not a race! So bring the kids and plan on a good time.

While this sounds like fun I take offense to the wording above!!
I started taking my daughters to Baja races when they were about 4 and 11. They still say those were some of the best times.

And I have plans for Oct 3-5....yep a race in Mexico :)
http://codeoffroad.com.mx/mapa.pdf

The 55 is for the run, you don't have to do the run.. I'm going with some friends.. This is like the tera del sol thing, i would think.. But hey this is a big area to play in, so come out... I could be wrong...

It is a OK run. If they use the same route they did the 3 times I did it you will not be impressed. I ran 85% of it in my old XJ in 2WD.

It is a decent time and for a good cause.

Karstic i need info please... Is there going to be a group of XJ's out there? I have some people going that wanted me to ask you... They have XJ's so they want to see different rigs, the set up they are running..
Thank you for your time

I won't be there. I'll be getting ready to head to Moab. I posted this up just to promote a good organization.

If they wanna see set up XJ's they should come up to Moab. :)

You and the Mayor need to set up a run in Truckhaven/Ocotillo/Anza Borrego

He is busy working on some thing he got... But i'll PM him when i get back...

I've only cut it in half & moved the rear to the front & the front to the rear... :wierd:

Doing the Expo this weekend & the following weekend the bed goes to a friends to get a tongue on it... then the fun begins...

I need to do a little work on the XJ so maybe mid Nov. or Dec. ???

Steve you coming out this way anytime soon ??

Curt

Here are some photos from the weekend. I met up with Scott and some friends and got to finally give my Jeep a good run. I have the cage and rock sliders to do before anything extreme but I can't wait for the next trip.

PA030041.jpg

Some of the group.

049.jpg

DSC03996.jpg

Scott playing on some rocks
055.jpg

PA040052.jpg

You can't take these Wrangler guys anywhere.

074.jpg

075.jpg

Redneck RTI Ramp...

PA040056.jpg

My friend wanted out! I wasn't finished yet

Glad you had fun... Your jeep looks great by the way...I didn't know you got the pics of my heep on the rocks...Thank you, new wall paper... HE HE..Trying to make the spook run this year.. It is in october, the dates are 23, 24, 25... Let me know if you want to go..

Here are some photos from the weekend. I met up with Scott and some friends and got to finally give my Jeep a good run. I have the cage and rock sliders to do before anything extreme but I can't wait for the next trip.

PA030041.jpg

Some of the group.

049.jpg

DSC03996.jpg

Scott playing on some rocks
055.jpg

PA040052.jpg

You can't take these Wrangler guys anywhere.

074.jpg

075.jpg

Redneck RTI Ramp...

PA040056.jpg

My friend wanted out! I wasn't finished yet

Time to re-torque EVERYTHING !!! It looks GOOOOOD !!!
One Q. What's up with the red on the front Dr. side fender... :laugh2:

See Ya !!!
I'll be home on Fri. & Mon.
Curt

When are you going to stop playing with trailers and go wheeling? As for the red on the fender, it is a racing stripe.

Soon I hope... I haven't done ANYTHING !!! trailer OR XJ wise... :banghead:
Been doing a lot of homework with the son though.... :paperwork
See Ya !

Curt

Back