• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Monitor Help, PLEEEEASE!!!

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Help!! Before I go blind. ( get your mind out of the pubescent gutter ) Here is the problem.

Usually about twice a day my monitor hear at work is overcome with diagonal waves. Not talking tsunamis, but severe enough to surf on. To temporarily correct the problem, I change the display-timing mode for the video card. (Nvida GeForce 2 MX) Most of the times, going from fixed aspect ratio to auto detect, or visa versa clears things up. For a while. There are times when either discrete or coordinated mode is most effective.

Sometimes after changing the setting the large waves go away but then I get compact diagonals coming from the other direction or the feeling the screen is pulsating so rapidly that I’m not quite sure that it is.

Changing monitors does not help. The “IT” here says they have installed a filter (RF ?) on the power supply thinking the problem may be relater to equipment in the plant. I have also been told that they have tried swapping video cards as well, but as of late I have not had much trust in the Idiot Twits around here.

Anybody got any Ideas? Pouring my coffee into the monitor or CPU has not helped the machine as much as it has helped me.

Thanks,

Tim

I have a small fan that if it gets too close to the monitor will cause similar effects. Look for something with an electric motor nearby that goes on just before you notice the effect.

As a resident Idiot Twit myself, I know that most distortion on a monitor is caused by either a loose or damaged video cable.
* Next most likely cause = bad video (that's why they swapped it)
* Next most likely cause = bad video card (again, that's why they swapped it)
* Next most likely cause = outside interference (things that pull alot of amps on the same circuit, or even RF interference.)
* Next most likely cause = bad PC motherboard or power supply.
* Next most likly cause = Solar Flares
* and finally, the last possible cause = those drugs are kicking in!

Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. They are systematically going from the most likely to the least likely cause.
Oh, by the way, make sure you drink lots of water before your drug test :laugh3:

Another thing....probably not likely but my monitor does the same thing when my nextel is near it (on my belt sometimes). My other phone never did this but for some reason this phone puts out a lot of interference.

One thing it could be is MOIRE PATTERN which is a "minor warping of the shadow mask". Another is EMI or something generating a magnetic or electrical field. Do you have a florescent light near it, as the ballast can do it. BAD/Noisy AC can cause it. A ceramic filter, which wraps around the power cord AND another for the signal cable will help a lot. They are generally referred to as a choke.

Degaussing your screen may help as well. Most monitors have a built in feature to "demagnetize or degauss" the screen.

NOW.. some people are VERY sensitive to refresh rates. Especially women, who's cones in their eyes are more sensitive then a man's. Try higher refresh rates. 70hz or above usually get rid of that problem. I am able to run mine at 85hz with NO decernable flicker or moire.

Last edited:
Back