• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab 2012

Re: Maob 2012

thanks for the link iceman. I have no idea what to expect from moab, as ive only been though on the bike.

I'm in again for this year. Getting things ready to go already. Staying at Canyon Lands in a cabin. Plan on running Hells Revenge, Pritchett Canyon, Kane Creek, Tripple Trail, and a couple others but we will see how the schedule works.

how much,are those cabinsthis year? last time we were there they were.40.

52ish a night

Those boogers filled up fast. I started calling around in October and canyonlands was no longer taking cabin calls. Holy hell. I was the second cabin call for slickrock. But they don't open up the reservations till November

Pretty much, if you want to go to EJS now, your options are camping, or $500/night houses

Iceman, I used that list last year. I tried searching for this years list with no luck. Thanks for the link it's very appreciated!

our plan was to camp anyway. just curious what they cost this year. I think we stayed in the "saloon" cabin last we were there.

our trip is more of a exploring/ camp trip. hoping to camp out in the rocks.

our plan was to camp anyway. just curious what they cost this year. I think we stayed in the "saloon" cabin last we were there.

our trip is more of a exploring/ camp trip. hoping to camp out in the rocks.

I shake, rattled, rolled,popped banged squeeked and wobbled all the way there last year, broke down 300 times, and got tow strapped in the last 50 miles. Just to set up a tent and spend the first day fighting repairs

I averaged $100/day in repairs and delt with the same story getting home.

This year, A cummins and a trailer are taking me to a cabin. And bringing the finances to have a shop do any work that could make me dirty!

2013 is the 30th Anniversary for the XJ. NAXJA Fall Fling is going to be the place to be. I think that's going to be my goal for next year.

52ish a night

Those boogers filled up fast. I started calling around in October and canyonlands was no longer taking cabin calls. Holy hell. I was the second cabin call for slickrock. But they don't open up the reservations till November

Pretty much, if you want to go to EJS now, your options are camping, or $500/night houses

Iceman, I used that list last year. I tried searching for this years list with no luck. Thanks for the link it's very appreciated!

Alright, so NWC house for Fall Fling.

I'm in

I shake, rattled, rolled,popped banged squeeked and wobbled all the way there last year, broke down 300 times, and got tow strapped in the last 50 miles. Just to set up a tent and spend the first day fighting repairs

I averaged $100/day in repairs and delt with the same story getting home.

This year, A cummins and a trailer are taking me to a cabin. And bringing the finances to have a shop do any work that could make me dirty!

ill be trailering down too.i know my jeep would make it, but its that murphys law im worried about.

ill be trailering down too.i know my jeep would make it, but its that murphys law im worried about.

Yeah, my jeep went out of commission in feb, i took 2 months to bolt on 8 grand worth of Garbage, then loaded it up and left for moab, 1000 miles of a "shake down run" was enough.. I dont even like driving my jeep to TSF anymore.. Besides, the tow rig gets better mileage :firedevil

its funny what 1000 miles from home does to a jeep as apposed to 1000 miles of in town driving. its like it gets anxious so far from home.

Yeah, my jeep went out of commission in feb, i took 2 months to bolt on 8 grand worth of Garbage, then loaded it up and left for moab, 1000 miles of a "shake down run" was enough.. I dont even like driving my jeep to TSF anymore.. Besides, the tow rig gets better mileage :firedevil

Yours was the most entertaining trip report out of all of them. Theirs no way I would wheel my junk that far from home with out it being trailered. I only went over to Millican vally and towed my RV trailer when I still had it with my red xj to visit a friend. At the time I think it still only had 85 to 90k on it. We decided oh he'll lets take it on an expiation in the hills have a pick nic with the kids and he would show us around where his jeep club goes. Some how I ended up breaking my front Cardon joint and didn't relize it till I started home. I was loaded down baking down the hwy when the whole jeep started shaking violently and it let loose. Luckily all I had to do was pull over and remove the front drive shaft. I was only 250 miles from home I couldn't imagine 994 miles. That's one of the reasons you,don't see me at TSF anymore. I'm not driving the YJ any further then work till I can wheel and deal me a cheep trailer to RV car dolly.

Yours was the most entertaining trip report out of all of them. Theirs no way I would wheel my junk that far from home with out it being trailered. I only went over to Millican vally and towed my RV trailer when I still had it with my red xj to visit a friend. At the time I think it still only had 85 to 90k on it. We decided oh he'll lets take it on an expiation in the hills have a pick nic with the kids and he would show us around where his jeep club goes. Some how I ended up breaking my front Cardon joint and didn't relize it till I started home. I was loaded down baking down the hwy when the whole jeep started shaking violently and it let loose. Luckily all I had to do was pull over and remove the front drive shaft. I was only 250 miles from home I couldn't imagine 994 miles. That's one of the reasons you,don't see me at TSF anymore. I'm not driving the YJ any further then work till I can wheel and deal me a cheep trailer to RV car dolly.
It comes down to prioritys. Spending the time and money for streetability vs the stuff I want like Pretty lights and a new front locker

The jeep actually drives decent on the street now, I'm getting somewhere with trying to get it dialed in, but Its never going to feel as reliable as it once was.

Iceman: what day are you planning to leave?

First I thought we were leaving Wed 28th but our camping site doesn't start until the 30th so we are leaving late Thursday night probably around 8 or so. That way we miss traffic but we are towing in the dark to keep tires cool. I thought it would be better to let the kids sleep most of the way since there only 3 and 2 years old. How about you??

Also since I'm on here does anyone have a gooseneck trailer that has a 30ft deck on it. I also need it to have a payload of 10k. I would be willing to pay you if I could use it for our trip. The trailer I was planning on buying the owner came back with an outrageous price. He want's 5k for it and it need $1500 in part's to make it legal. So I'm now in the market and would prefer to rent one from someone rather than buy one to just sell it when I get back. If it's big enough I would be willing to haul your rig with our two to Moab and back for free. I will be towing it with a Dodge Dually with a 6spd tranny. Let me know if you have a lead on one.

Also I'm getting intouch with the Intermountian Chapter to see if anyone is going that group. There are a couple people going I thought maybe we could do a meet and greet one night. I like to meet people from all over to see there rigs and talk jeeps. Let me know if your interested and I will keep you informed

alot of things can change between now and departure date.. I could see myself leaving a night early and Following you down.

Also, Goodluck finding a trailer.. I've seen how hard it is to rent one or find one.. My advice would be start looking for a Plan B.. Just sayin!

FYI, you can usually get a hotel room a week or two before EJS. People call and reserve, then cancel. Sometimes you have to switch mid week, and the last weekend is harder then the begining of the week.

Just an update we are planning on running Goldenspike on Tuesday if you interested in running a trail with the RR4W. It cost $50 per trail but it's worth it. You get to go to the Quadratec BBQ for free dinner, you get a raffle ticket for the awsome raffle, and you get to support the RR4W in the quest to keep MOAB open to the public. They are a key factor in keeping it open and if you run out there I feel it's a good idea to support them. So our whole group is paying for one day to help support it. That is $450 in there pocket I think that is awsome. Let me know if you want to run with us and I can work something out with you to get you on the list.

Back