• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Military Hummers Don't Make The Cut

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone read any articles lately in the newspapers? I was reading the San Antonio Express News yesterday, August 15th issue. Apparently, Humvees aren't able to handle the terrain in Afghanistan. The troops are now using donkeys to transport supplies up to remote areas. The article didn't mention exactly why the Humvees aren't making the cut. I'm just assuming it has to do with their width and independent suspension. I think it would be awesome if the military would build up some XJ's or MJ's. The government definately has the money to do it. I don't know much about the military, but i'd like to know if they offer any training for off road driving situations. Maybe the military needs a few good XJ/MJ's....

the HMMWV was designed to be able to do lots of things, a versatile chassis was needed to make them into different things. From what I've read they are great in open desert/dunes but rocks and narrow stuff they can't do as well as a SWB with solid front axel, also the military has a thing about ease of maintence, training mechanics on one motor for that vehicle not a bunch of different ones. That's why all HMMWV's still run the NA 6.2 Diesel and not a duramax with allison tranny. I'm pretty sure in any military service you will get at least some absic training in using this vehicle, my buddy that jsut went through the Marines said he spent a lot of time behind the wheel and operating the weapons, etc. If I've got it wrong feel free to correct me.

I heard they are having problems just because of the extreme conditions that they run in. Most getting stuck in sand, mud holes, etc. Also, the bigger trucks that are used to transport troops and bigger supplies seem to be breaking axles. Breaking military grade axles can be pretty extreme.

You hit it on the head, the Humvees in service now are basically the same ones that came into service in the beginning era. Just a few upgrades here and there. The ability to perform in the desert is not a question of Wheelbase, as much as it is traction. I'm sure that most places in the desert are untouched by nothing except tracked vehicles. IMO a poor little XJ would sink like a stone just like anything else in the loose and hot (as hell) sand. The NA 6.2 is used in many other Military vehicles as well, due to the number of trained mechanics available for them. I know that there are a short wheelbase HV on duty in some parts of the Middle East but they are in limited number because of the loss of space....correct me if I'm wrong

I read somewhere on CNN.com that it was just due to environmental conditions. Apparently a lot of the country is windy, which makes even basic maintinance a bitch as sand and dirt fly into the workspaces.

The Humvee started with the NA 6.2 but should've been upgraded to the 6.5 I think. You only get trained on what all the switches are for when you get trained on them. Unless of course you have a job in the infantry or something, they may give you more training then. But they don't train everyone.

I was in Afghanistan, and let me tell you....

Its a rock crawlers wet dream come true. That place has got to be the most rugged, rocky, extreme terrain place on earth. The first thing they do to HMMVV"s when they get there is put bias-ply 38.5 swampers on them. Its the only tire that can deal with the place.

They have what the locals call "100 days of wind" there. Starting about May thought August, they get these massive dust storms, blowing in at 40-60mph, that roll through about 3pm every day. You learn why the locals wear those rags around their head real quick, and start to do the same. Cleaning sand out of your ears, nose, eyes, hair, and mouth gets old.

I was at Bagram AF, about 27 miles NW of the capitol, Kabul. We were at 7000 ft elevation, surrounded by mountains from 12,000 to 15,000 ft high.

Afghanistan has been without major vehicle transportation for just about ever. The Taliban rebels stay in mountain villages that are only accessable by a single-track on foot (or donkey). So yea, you think a hummer, at 8ft wide, is going to go there? You need to travel the way they do, to go the places they go to.

xjcrawlr said:
Afghanistan has been without major vehicle transportation for just about ever. The Taliban rebels stay in mountain villages that are only accessable by a single-track on foot (or donkey). So yea, you think a hummer, at 8ft wide, is going to go there? You need to travel the way they do, to go the places they go to.

Got Death From Above?

myii_cover.jpg

Nothing is or will ever be built for every geographical terrain in the world, everything requires differt needs

ECKSJAY said:
Not while the bad guys have death from below. Isn't always feasible, unfortunately.

Maybe a Boeing St Louis product would be more appropriate than a Boeing Philadelphia one...

020507a_jdam_500.jpg

IH8RDS said:
Personally I would go for the salad. I'm not much on "physical" activities.

That's not what you said yesterday.

If you knew how spotty and unreliable the intel is there, you would have other ideas. The Taiban are extremely mobil, any intel 30 min old, is too old for tactical use.

Besides the F-15 is an air-to-air superiority fighter, not a stratigic bomber.

WTF do I know? I design support equipment. They all look the same to me.

Back