• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Membership and Chapter Enhancement Program

Your first post in 2+ weeks (and 10th in 3 months) and you didn't even read the thread, Remi? :D Where the heck have you been? :search: Oh yeah... traveling! :wave1:

Yup.... first post in so many weeks so what? Btw, the explanation
I don't recall discussing these funds last year (that doesn't mean we didn't). We can surely take advantage of the opportunity this year.
falls short of an explanation. Saying we might or might not have discussed but I don't remember is not an appropriate response for an elected official IMHO.

I see couple things that I'm curious about:
1. Does the chapter hold minutes of sorts to keep track of open issues? If not, then it might be a good idea to start.
2. Does that chapter rep to national BOD participate on regular basis? If so then how did that get missed ? Again does the chapter rep (I"m saying rep because while it's usually the chapter president it doesn't have to be) to national BOD report to the chapter BOD?
3. The last item would be for the chapter rep to address with the national BOD and ask them why at the end of the year they haven't asked why the chapter hasn't asked for the funds? There should be a system of checks and balances where if chapter misses something the national BOD can remind them.....

Though I have served as chapter president for one year I am still new at this. I am learning more all of the time but still have plenty to learn. We are working on this for this year and when we have something to report we will post it up. BTW I do answer my PM's. Just sayin.

Though I have served as chapter president for one year I am still new at this. I am learning more all of the time but still have plenty to learn. We are working on this for this year and when we have something to report we will post it up. BTW I do answer my PM's. Just sayin.

Answer Remi's questions please

Not really new....I wrote checks for most chapters in 2012 to use it.

Your elected SoCal BOD is supposed to be doing this.....just couldn't stand by and watch nothing being done anymore. :wave1:

Answer Remi's questions please

I hate to do this, but Jesus Christ this thread is getting childish.

If this thread was the first time you reached out to John to discuss these available funds... then you are just as culpable for SoCalChapter missing out on these funds as John is. Frankly, even more-so IMO.

IMO, the right thing to do would have been to reach out to John, in private, a few months ago to remind or let him know of the availability of the funds. Not start a thread 2 weeks after the funds expired just to chastise John. Really, the last thing the forum needs is more petty drama.

If you did that back in 2012 then I am out of line and I apologize.

If you did not, then you and this whole thread are out of line.

Last edited:

If this thread was the first time you reached out to John to discuss these available funds... then you are just as culpable for SoCalChapter missing out on these funds as John is. Frankly, even more-so IMO.

IMO, the right thing to do would have been to reach out to John, in private, a few months ago to remind or let him know of the availability of the funds. Not start a thread 2 weeks after the funds expired just to chastise John. Really, the last thing the forum needs is more petty drama.

Thank you for this mike.

:thumbsup:

Avery, you really aren't helping.

Last edited:
Maybe.... though I seriously would like to see answers to my questions. And the reason they're public questions rather than PM's because it deals with chapter business and chapter operations/procedures are (or should be) a matter of public record to a degree.

That's why I asked what I asked. I'm curious to see if someone from chapter (as well as who tht someone is) participates on national BOD and if the chapter BOD is being kept abreast as to what national is doing. So far I got no answer about that....
Again, while you are partially correct about "it'd be nice if someone reached out in private few months ago to remind him" I am happy that this is public as John (and the SoCal BOD) is an elected official and if he's not doing his job I'd like to know about that. Also I believe the reference someplace was that ALL chapters but SoCal requested the funds... if that's the case, and if they did that without additional prompting, that's somewhat embarassing that we are the flakes...

Nope it isn't... how do we find out if our BOD is doing it's job???? The tone of it might be, but the topic isn't...

how do we find out if our BOD is doing it's job????

With grammatical errors like that you don't deserve to know! :twak:
(note sarcasm)

While I'm not officially on the BOD I will assure you, and all other members, that 2013 is going to be a much more productive year for the SoCal Chapter.

With grammatical errors like that you don't deserve to know! :twak:
(note sarcasm)

While I'm not officially on the BOD I will assure you, and all other members, that 2013 is going to be a much more productive year for the SoCal Chapter.

I wouldn't trust a jerk.

Maybe.... though I seriously would like to see answers to my questions. And the reason they're public questions rather than PM's because it deals with chapter business and chapter operations/procedures are (or should be) a matter of public record to a degree.

Completely.

That's why I asked what I asked. I'm curious to see if someone from chapter (as well as who tht someone is) participates on national BOD and if the chapter BOD is being kept abreast as to what national is doing. So far I got no answer about that....

I had to wait to get permission to answer this while John is trying to study his answers.....

NO. No one really participates from SoCal in the National BOD forum. Occasionally there will be a post or a question but from the context those statements are made, he is not keeping up with discussions.

Basically the SoCal chapter has no *real* representation on the National level.

Again, while you are partially correct about "it'd be nice if someone reached out in private few months ago to remind him" I am happy that this is public as John (and the SoCal BOD) is an elected official and if he's not doing his job I'd like to know about that. Also I believe the reference someplace was that ALL chapters but SoCal requested the funds... if that's the case, and if they did that without additional prompting, that's somewhat embarrassing that we are the flakes...

There have been 4 separate threads regarding chapters proposing uses of their MG&E funds in the last 13 months and countless talks about them in our monthly BOD meetings....this is information that is talked about frequently yet the SoCal BOD is unaware? This is only possible if one is not participating and keeping up.

Nope it isn't... how do we find out if our BOD is doing it's job???? The tone of it might be, but the topic isn't...

I nominated John for the position of President because I honestly believed he was universally liked and could do a good job at being the SoCal President. As far as I can tell, Geoff is running the chapter doing things and either John is too busy or can't get his things together.

I don't wish anyone to resign or feel that they are being picked on, I want change, I want leadership, I want chapter representation on the national level, I want more chapter organization. I don't think this is an unreasonable request for a member to ask.

I don't wish anyone to resign or feel that they are being picked on, I want change, I want leadership, I want chapter representation on the national level, I want more chapter organization. I don't think this is an unreasonable request for a member to ask.

see... now you're helping. :D

is there anything we as members can do to get this discussion going? should there be a thread in socal about what to do with this money in particular?

as far as the chapter representation goes:
possibly a thread in the socal section with updates from the local BOD about what is going on at the national level. that way socal members can look at that and ask questions of the local BOD. and poke them if we don't get regular updates?

just ideas.

is there anything we as members can do to get this discussion going? should there be a thread in socal about what to do with this money in particular?

That is a discussion for the SoCal BOD. Be assured that the MGE program is being discussed for the 2013 year by the BOD and advisers (which includes myself). It is possible that some form of the discussion may be brought to membership, if that happens it will be clearly posted in the forum.

possibly a thread in the socal section with updates from the local BOD about what is going on at the national level.

That is really something that should happen in the SoCal BOD forum. Items in BOD forums can be sensitive in nature. It is best for chapter BODs to be discreet with what information is shared with membership at large. Generally members should keep an eye on the national members forum and membership news forums for information on the goings on of the national BOD.

That is a discussion for the SoCal BOD. Be assured that the MGE program is being discussed for the 2013 year by the BOD and advisers (which includes myself). It is possible that some form of the discussion may be brought to membership, if that happens it will be clearly posted in the forum.

That is really something that should happen in the SoCal BOD forum. Items in BOD forums can be sensitive in nature. It is best for chapter BODs to be discreet with what information is shared with membership at large. Generally members should keep an eye on the national members forum and membership news forums for information on the goings on of the national BOD.

thanks for clarifying.

We (socal leadership) are working on making changes to ensure a better experience for our members in 2013. Many of the issues that have been brought up were already being addressed and will soon be resloved in a way that creates a better experience for our members. This work is done in the background so the average member is unaware of what is being done. When changes are finalized we make them known to membership. I would like to thank Gsequoia for offering his advice and stepping up to help us improve our club.

Again, while you are partially correct about "it'd be nice if someone reached out in private few months ago to remind him" I am happy that this is public as John (and the SoCal BOD) is an elected official and if he's not doing his job I'd like to know about that. Also I believe the reference someplace was that ALL chapters but SoCal requested the funds... if that's the case, and if they did that without additional prompting, that's somewhat embarassing that we are the flakes...

I agree, if the BOD is dropping the ball, it is fair game for dicussion in the forum.

And, I think all the questions you asked are reasonable.

However...

IMO, the OP would have done a MUCH greater service to the Chapter had he started a thread in October or November along the lines of "Hey SoCal Chapter, there are these funds, and I haven't got a request from So Cal" (or frankly, even better would have been a phone call to John in November to prompt him, and keep it out of the public forum).

This would have been a much more productive cousre of action then sitting on that knowledge until AFTER the funds are no longer available, and starting a "Hey SoCal Chapter, your President is dropping the ball" thread.

If the OP really cared about the SoCal chapter getting these funds, he would have initiated the dicussion when something could still be done. HE HAD THE CHANCE TO HELP and DIDN'T.

THAT is what I think is out of line. The OP had an opportunity to help out the chapter last year, but instead waited until it was too late, and then took that opportnity to scold the Chapter leadership.

Further, as far as I can tell, the OP is an active So Cal Chapter member, as well as holding some role at the national level. If so, then IMO, he had a RESPONSIBILITY to our chapter to help when something could have been done about it.

Last edited:

I agree. If it was known that SoCal hadn't taken advantage of the MGE funds, then perhaps as a benefit to the chapter, that should've been brought up when we still could've gotten hold of them. Sure, there wouldn't be the opportunity to rub anyone's nose in the screw up, but we would've benefited more from the funds than from a public shaming.

I agree. If it was known that SoCal hadn't taken advantage of the MGE funds, then perhaps as a benefit to the chapter, that should've been brought up when we still could've gotten hold of them. Sure, there wouldn't be the opportunity to rub anyone's nose in the screw up, but we would've benefited more from the funds than from a public shaming.

Not sure as to the why it wasn't brought up before and why now but what you're saying is that we need someone to watch he watchers? I am still waiting to see answers as to how things operate which I believe as a paying member of the club and SoCal chapter I had the right to ask....yet all I got here at first was a notepointing out when I had last logged in and posted.
bottom line is that we need to stop going after Avery for posting it in January. The people (person?) responsible haven't done their job last year and I would like to get some accounting as to how they operate so that I feel better about this coming year. Saying that they are working on a plan and will let us peons in on it when they're good and ready doesn't make me feel good about it.....

Back