• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

making a 2 door cherokee into a camper?

AJTorris

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone seen this done before? I was wondering how hard it would be to do? I plan to make a plat form that is even with the cargo area and then make a structure in the back that the hatch will open and that will be the kitchen area.

I think the proportions are going to be all wrong.

Where do you plan to cut it?

Cutting at the firewall will put way too much weight on the tongue.
Cutting at the B pillar won't be enough, plus it'd be way too short to be very useful.

Robert

i plan on cutting it at the fire wall. I plan on putting a water storage tank and cabinet in the back from axle line to the hatch to add more weight to the back.

Maybe. I suspect you'd have to add a platform to the back to balance it out.

But then why the twodoor? Bigger doors for easier access?

Robert

Also since im going to be making the floor flat i could always move the axle towards the front. Plate over the original spot and make the axle completly under the jeep and put the leaf springs under the uniframe.

all it is is a shell
DSCF4027-1.jpg

Hey are the mirrors still good? The wife hits things with hers(doing 60 mph in a wash sideways)Dam bushes jump out ...If the aren't ELEC an you plan to toss them i'll take them.

ok so i started drawing things up and came up with a few different ideas on this. I am going to make the roof have a pop up. Like the VW vans. There is a build up that a guy did on his rig where he had it pop up at an angle. I am going to make it pop straight up and have a platform that i am going to make to sleep up there. I figured if i do "roll cage" type set up i could use that as the platform. Then i could do a "couch" a little farther back then the factory back seat and that will fold out to another bed. (Its me, my wife, my 3 year old and a 1 year old that will be camping in this).

Where the dash was i could do a small TV with a dvd player for the kids to help keep them entertained while camping.

Then off the back of it I could get one of the SUV tents for the Dining area.

Sounds cool, I really want to do something similar. Removing the wheel wells is going to be some pretty extensive body work though.
When I do it, my water tank will replace the fuel tank and my kitchen area will be the front of the trailer. Going to be really expensive though since I plan on removing all traces of the front doors and have sheet metal worked in back to the back doors so it looks smooth the whole way.

Last edited:
I started a project just like yours and decided to only have access to it from the rear hatch, and a flip open front access. I cut down halfway through the doors of a 2 door. the tongue weight was negligible it was well balanced, i could shove a couple 2X4 through the frame rails and move it around like a giant wheelbarrow
100_1659.jpg

100_1661.jpg

Well i may just end up keeping the passenger door. Or may not. I really like the SUV tents and having that as the kitchen area but i think i would like to have access from the inside straight to the tent. So i may do something else for the kitchen area.

Steve, did you swap to a beam axle, or keep the diff? In my mental build, I wonder about the weight savings vs. having a complete spare axle available if needed.

Go with a standard trailer axle... a diff. is heavy & will hang up easy... I always thought (still do) a similarly equipped diff. under a trailer would be cool, but after seeing how precious weight savings are & the size of the diff. hanging down the trailer axle out weighs the diff.

DAMN !! I need to get back to work on my MJ bed trailer...

Curt

Steve, did you swap to a beam axle, or keep the diff?

I've read (on the inner-net, so it must be true) that it may be illegal to run a diff under a trailer. You have to swap in a solid beam.

Can't remember where I read it, or why that might be, but I guess you could check with your local DMV before you try to register it as a trailer...

Robert

I've read (on the inner-net, so it must be true) that it may be illegal to run a diff under a trailer. You have to swap in a solid beam.

Can't remember where I read it, or why that might be, but I guess you could check with your local DMV before you try to register it as a trailer...

Robert

that varies according to local laws and customs. I had plans to use a torsion, but was going to run the axle until i had the funds. I never did go very far with the whole plan. I had fantasies about using the diff input to drive an alternator/generator to charge up a bank of batteries in the trailer. That coupled with an inverter to drive all my creature comforts...

Back