• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maine Jeep Jamboree

That's the other problem with the USGS maps. They show the Jeep trails, but they don't show ownership thereof.

However -- getting back to the northern part of Maine, those logging roads are generally open. I believe there's a user fee for some of the roads or areas, but they are open. Probably not the most challenging wheeling in the universe, but I've heard that the older logging roads that haven't been used for several years can get "interesting." What makes it a potentially interesting venue is that you can set up a route and camp in a different place every night, without ever hitting pavement.

However, I'm going only on what I have read/heard. Do any of you Mainahs have more specific information?

Pretty much old roads if its not gated, posted, or obviously not a good place to wheel ie someones lawn/field, then its ok to use unless you are told otherwise by the owner, if there even is one. HOWEVER camping is a different story, many logging roads are closed to camping, mostly due to fire dangers. Also caution to those that want to try this, CB almost a necessity, when a loaded truck comes out they have the right of way. Period. All you can do is hit reverse as fast as you can and hopefully find a place to get out of his way. A quick call ahead usually prevents this.

The key to long distance wheeling for a lot of maine is by getting a group to approach a large land owner, usually a paper mill, and request permission to wheel on thier property. This opens up some gated areas if your lucky, and if not its just a more responsible way to work around the people working in the woods at the time. This could also lead to designated camping areas as well as long as a fire permit is applied for.

If its a matter of casual wheeling for a day, camping that evening, then maybe a half day of lite wheeling after that with no more than 2 miles of tar (not including beer runs) there are tons of places for that, im looking at setting up a little loop after mud season, if its still passible.

International Paper is the largest indiviual private land owner in Maine. there are a few clubs up there with agrrements with them for access. but conversely The Nature Conservancy(eco-nazi) is also in the top 5 private owners. what sets maine apart from other states in this region is that thee are some incredibly large plots of land with single ownership. so the opportunty is there to score access to a big area, but it also cuts down on the number of land owners you could approach in any particular area.

i've never been to Maine, and i look forward to the chance to do it soon.

The target group for the Jambos, are the folks that have recently bought a Jeep product, and would like to have a "different" type of vacation. Having done the Bethel Jambo in '98 with my 2 yr old Cherokee I can tell you this; They have a 101 course for the newbies,Yes they have different rated trails depending on the mods you have done, and the experience you may have. The land that they use is mostly private.Yes the cost may seem high, but you are well taken care of on the trail. The food is good to excellent, and depending on the accomadations you choose, it could end up running around 1 k total for the event. We went to Va for the Camp Jeep. NEVER AGAIN!!! Its like Disneyland for Jeeps. A great place for kids, and newbies. The trails were very short, and non- challenging. It maybe cheaper, but you get what you pay for!

HI-JACK for a minute !!
Maine is such a beautiful place. as a reference to the meet and great a few years ago. these pictures were takened last february in 2005 when i went camping at acadia national park on mount desert island same island as the famous city of bar harbor. it is a great place to spend a weekend and enjoy all that the maine coast has to offer. it would be a great place to have another meet and great and spend some good quality time. Actually TODAY i went to acadia and bar harbor and im exactly 100 miles away from my house at college to the town lines of bar harbor. right now the park is closed but will reopen in april for spring. it has gone through some renovations lately because even the winter camping in the camp ground was closed becuase they were making it better place.
charliemiscpics022.jpg

charliemiscpics018.jpg

charliemiscpics015.jpg

charliemiscpics012.jpg

charliemiscpics010.jpg

i will post up some pictures of seal harbor which i visited today and took a few pictures of the empty harbor this time of year, it was a great day trip. as to reference to the jamboree's i debated doing it this year and last but ended up saying NO. i might just do it next year to say ive done it and experienc at least once. im not nocking it till i actually do it. but im not real wild about the expense.

jeepmanxj94 said:
HI-JACK for a minute !!
Maine is such a beautiful place. as a reference to the meet and great a few years ago. these pictures were takened last february in 2005 when i went camping at acadia national park on mount desert island same island as the famous city of bar harbor. it is a great place to spend a weekend and enjoy all that the maine coast has to offer. it would be a great place to have another meet and great and spend some good quality time. Actually TODAY i went to acadia and bar harbor and im exactly 100 miles away from my house at college to the town lines of bar harbor. right now the park is closed but will reopen in april for spring. it has gone through some renovations lately because even the winter camping in the camp ground was closed becuase they were making it better place.
charliemiscpics022.jpg

charliemiscpics018.jpg

charliemiscpics015.jpg

charliemiscpics012.jpg

charliemiscpics010.jpg

i will post up some pictures of seal harbor which i visited today and took a few pictures of the empty harbor this time of year, it was a great day trip. as to reference to the jamboree's i debated doing it this year and last but ended up saying NO. i might just do it next year to say ive done it and experienc at least once. im not nocking it till i actually do it. but im not real wild about the expense.
Thanks for making me homesick. God my family and I can't wait to get back to Maine. No later than May we hope.

MDI has some good scenery, I usually do some work out on the island every year. Good times, and the private areas of the island I have seen, wow. I dont know about wheeling, but a good place to check out if thats not a concern. I plan on setting up some wheeling this summer for those that like the mountains and ponts and woods more, but if anything comes up along the coast also, im definately in.

I don't think there is any wheeling on Mount Desert Island. There certainly isn't any within Acadia National Park. When we had the chapter event there 2+ years ago, RJ arranged with a local who knows the area to lead the trail ride, which took place on the mainland a few miles east of Ellsworth.

That makes more sense to me than anything on the island, ive seen places that it would be possible, but mostly private land so its not happening.

The jamboree is actually in a good area for wheeling, im about a half hour west from bethel.

98XJSport said:
That makes more sense to me than anything on the island, ive seen places that it would be possible, but mostly private land so its not happening.

The jamboree is actually in a good area for wheeling, im about a half hour west from bethel.

The two trails I was on at last year's Jambo were great for wheeling. Had a nice combination of everything...mud, rocks, hills, water....just a great spot to wheel...Scenery was awesome too in the fall...It would be nice to hook up with WMMJ and join them on some wheeling trips, but as said before I don't know how open they are with "their" trails....

Totally agree though...that area is awesome for wheeling...

oh i KNOW there is no four wheeling on mdi but i was just displaying the beautiful scenery found up here in maine along the coast. im toally in for some good wheeling with anybody really as long as it is totally legal or we have complete permission to be there. there is a bunch of clubs but i reallly dont hear much about them in maine. i think if we were to get together sometime and hopefully get some other members opinions and see what naxja can do. im game for helping and putting some good time in researching. let me know if anybody has need for some help im in good range for covering augusta to bangor and belfast. but i just want to help.........!!!!! let me know...... and i dont want to step on anyone elses toes like what happened last time. just offering a hand in some help. besides sry this is way off track from the thread so i will stop. just my two cents.

Back