• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Made a new CB antenna mount today.

mopar mud

NAXJA Forum User
Used one of my old Rear sway bar mounts and got a little creative.
Let me know what you guys think or if you see any flaws.

DSCF1001.jpg

DSCF1003.jpg

-Justin

excelent idea for the mount. dont care to much for the location though. IMO.

Evan463 said:
excelent idea for the mount. dont care to much for the location though. IMO.

x2

Andy in Pa. said:
first place that gets rubbed on a tree.

those were my thoughts. hopefully it won't get ripped off on him, cuz that could be nasty to patch, but i think i would have put mine on the lower part of the hatch, maybe even secure the top of it as well so it doesn't move around and slap the body.... looks like the antenna is shorter than the hatch.

clever mount, but I'd move it to the hatch, same level, just get it out of the way of trees!!

great idea on the mount. move it to either your bumpers or hatch asap, i wish that tree never ripped up my cbmount and took the quarter/hatch/taillight along with it

I see a HUGE friggin flaw....
can we say short to ground?
the body is ground and the antenna and spring are not,,,at all,,,bad stuff

mjma said:
clever mount, but I'd move it to the hatch, same level, just get it out of the way of trees!!

His hatch is fiberglass - I wouldn't want to put that kind of stress on fiberglass.

Rob Mayercik said:
His hatch is fiberglass - I wouldn't want to put that kind of stress on fiberglass.

Mine is mounted to the hatch, has been that way for years. No problems with mounting it to the fiberglass. I did have another problem though. You have to use a CB antenna that is ungrounded w/special coax, like for an RV. I learned this lesson the hard way a few months ago when I broke my original antenna. I tried using a regular antenna and could not get it to work. I even tried running a ground wire for it and it still didn't work. I went to an RV store (Camping World) and got an RV CB antenna (ungrounded version w/special coax) and it works fine now.

A.

Andy in Pa. said:
Mine is mounted to the hatch, has been that way for years. No problems with mounting it to the fiberglass. I did have another problem though. You have to use a CB antenna that is ungrounded w/special coax, like for an RV. I learned this lesson the hard way a few months ago when I broke my original antenna. I tried using a regular antenna and could not get it to work. I even tried running a ground wire for it and it still didn't work. I went to an RV store (Camping World) and got an RV CB antenna (ungrounded version w/special coax) and it works fine now.

A.

I knew about the NGP (no ground plane) antenna issue, but I've never looked closely at that end of the Barnabus Wrex to notice the antenna on the hatch. I'm surprised you haven't cracked it when the antenna catches on a branch or something. I'll have to take a closer look at NACFest.

you will have to show me exactly how you made it, i have a 4' boat CB antenna i would like to use, but not sure what to do for a mount. (its me from midcoast)

Time to resurrect the thread.
I also see the antenna is shorted when the spring touchs the bracket.
I'm moving a CB from my pickup to my XJ.
I seem to break antennas and springs with low hanging branches, so I like the side mount idea. I was going to mount up high with the spare tire on the roof.
677My_rig_too-med.JPG

NMO mount antennas are better than a mag mount wilson.
Thru hole design, never lost an antenna, yet easily unscrew for parking garages.
NMO_with_coax.jpg

Back