• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering...

Whens someone going to post some Pics. I have my '89 trail rig and thinking of going low on a '01 that the inlaws are giving me. Thanks.

geez wish someone would drop an 01 off in my driveway! I'd definately have some fun with it! I love the idea of a lowered XJ. Have been playing with the idea for some time. As my jeep gets higher in the miles, i think more of getting a driver..and i just can't stay away from the thought of getting another XJ. I would love to get a 97+ because i like the smoother look for a street vehicle. Lower it 2-3" and put some 17 or 18s on there. Definately keep it AWD, that would be so much fun. my sister used to have a 90 limited with the 242 and i would smoke the mustang 4.6 (or 4.7?)s off the line with it all the time. could stick to the road thru the curves too. Some guys were mentioning the ZJ t-case, have you thought about a ZJ front axle too? Probably not worth it, but I know some of them have CV joints instead of U-joints so it would feel a little more like AWD than 4WD.
Excellent idea man, definately consider a turbo or supercharger. I have seen guys use A/C compressor replacement type superchargers which are much cheaper than say an Avenger. Garret makes a sweet turbo kit that routes the exhaust under the oil pan and over to the pass side front corner. Not sure if this is for the cherokee, but its for the 4.0 so im sure you could make it work. just depends how much $ u wanna spend and how fast you wanna go. Post some pics when you have progress!

so, to you guys lowering xj's anyone have a free rear leaf spring they wanna get rid of for shipping costs? i bent one last weekend.

xjnation said:
yep in the 80's the lowered jeep MJ's hurt everyone ones feelings.........toyota, dodge, ford, chevy, nissan.........the archer brothers only lost like one radce in 3 years of racing...........they took each other out by bump drafting.....some pretty good heritage for lowered jeeps

1988jeep.jpg

Xjnation, You may have saved me a lot of headaches I was planning on converting my 88 mj eliminator to 4x4 but I just enjoy driving it to work too much to take the time to make the conversion. even though I have a 97 tj and have now aquired my wife's 01xj sport. I have known about the archers for a wile now but I guess this thread has convinced me that my old MJ was a pretty tough street truck in the day and that I may get more enjoyment in going that route rather than having another 4x4. I'll be seelling the modded TJ soon so with that money I think i'd like to build up the Xj just to give it a little more personality and capability offroad, and just resto mod the old mj, keeping it a streeter but not sacrificing the " truck " utility of it.
So if I wanted to lower it just a few inches the simple answer to me would be tj coils and comparable lowering blocks in the back. replace the bushings and shocks , and call it done. I have some Moabs I was going to but on the XJ but this thread may have changed that plan too...Thanks Guys.
Rednblu.jpg

Last edited:
Heres a pic i photochopped of how i think a lowered XJ could look. I chopped the roof, which I think makes it look like a dodge magnum. kinda cool but a little too far i think. I put Mustang Cobra wheels on it, and lowered it probably 3" or so. Shaved the door handles and gas filler, Roll pan in the rear. It needs more photoshop work, but i wanted to put it up here since this thread has like no pics. The finished product will actually be non chop-topped, and layed back on the original picture background. I'll post it when that's done if there's any interest. enjoy

droppedchoppedxj.jpg

Back