• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering...

do it, i have never seen a xj lowered right, get some 3" leafs so spring under. tj coils, i wanna see it. i think a 2dr or a comanchie would look the best.

for the rear you may also want to try s10 lowering leafs for the rear...just fallow it the same as the bastard pack write up.

Well, after putting on my asbestos suit, here goes....

I see nothing wrong with lowering a XJ. I have a '98 2wd model that, although not lowered, is strictly a street driven daily driver. I would like to improve the way it drives and the power of the motor. I think progressive springs, poly bushings, etc will do this. Lowering the center of gravity couldn't hurt either, within reason. No, I don't have 22's or a TV in my XJ. It's pretty much stock, for now.

As far as lifting, offroad, etc. I have a '97 TJ for that. I see no reason to lift a 2wd XJ, unless you were going for the "pre-runner" look that is so popular these days. Again, i see nothing wrong with that either -- if that is what you want!

just my unsolicited .02

I have always thought a supercharged XJ (4.6L stroker or ?) with a HD version of the 242 would make an excellent Jeep competitor to the GM Syclone (Sp?) or even a rally competitor to the WRX (in the 2.5L class).

If Jeep had remained profitable and separate from Chrysler and DC I would have expected a similar drivetrain to show up in the XJ or ZJ body, much like the 360 ZJ and the current Hemi Grand (except AMC would exploit the available 2.5/4.0L tooling).

Have fun lifting or lowering, variety keeps the XJ product interesting.

Trailbst said:
Yeah, it's ok, but why hack up a 4x4 XJ. Find a 2wd XJ. They made them. Lower it. Slam it. Make it scrape.
I like going fast. I like watching other people go fast. I just don't like seeing off-road worthy 4x4s being lowered. Slam a S-10 Blazer or Pathfinder.

I love the XJ, that's why. Everything else has already been done a million times over. I don't want to pimp it out or anything like an MTV star. You're right though, maybe I should just get a 2WD.

db209_2000 said:
I love the XJ, that's why. Everything else has already been done a million times over. I don't want to pimp it out or anything like an MTV star. You're right though, maybe I should just get a 2WD.

You know, in the interests of speed, perf, etc...a 2wd is going to be better anyways, its simpler and lighter.

X2, keep a 242 for full time traction

Ok I'm not reading through all these haters' responses.

I saw some dude's site like 4 or 5 years ago about his lowered XJ. I was ready to flame him over it, when I realized, wow, this guy did a lot of really good work on his rig, and since he never takes it off-road, what need does he have for the ground clearance (his same rationale for deciding to lower it)?

Point being, if you have a concept of how to use the vehicle differently, go for it. That is, after all, what Jeeping is about, right? Being different, and doing things differently?

BTW, I've thought of this many times. I wanna build a street XJ with air bags, so I can raise it in the winter, and slam it the other 6 months of the year (yes, 6, I'm from Buffalo....) No idea what I'd do with the springs though, sorry :)

Good luck, and PLEASE don't rice it out........none of those gay f****** Altezza taillights.....

I always wanted to build a lowered XJ w/AWD and a turbo'd stroker or twin-turbo'd V8. I think it would be some sort of crazy fun to blow the doors off of everything around with a Jeep, especially the ricers with their cherry bomb mufflers (which I mostly blow off now with bolt-on mods).

Last edited:
I want to put 18x9s in the front and 18x10.5s in the rear of mine. No 20s. I think that would look nasty. I am going to try to mount up cobra r brembo brakes too. The nice thing is that the big wheels are cheap thanks to mustangs being so popular with the same bolt pattern and offset.

I still don't know if I want to lower mine. I think they are pretty low stock.

Do you guys think cut-out flares and some massive steam roller rubber would look good? I think it might. It would be different anyway.

done with the thread hijack:D

Lowering an XJ? Making a street rig? I don't see why not -and the low-end torque available would make it a damn good sleeper...

However, lower it with an idea in mind - not just 'how low can you go?' That looks ridiculous enough on everything else, and damnfoolish on the whole "compact truck" scene.

I could see a "concept" vehicle done well - you could make it look like it's still riding fairly stock, with a little work, until you get a closer look. If I had another rig and the time (and shop space,) I'd be willing to do something like that myself, just to be different. I'm already doing a restomod on an 89 Limited to make a more effective commuter for my wife, so that's probably a step in the same direction.

Again, I have no issue with "concept" lowered vehicles - just this childish lowering with nothing else planned gets me (and vehicles with cut springs should result in the owner being shot. Maybe shot dead. I'm sick of ricers that run over a nickel and bounce for a week...)

5-90

What a lot of folks are missing here is that you are modifying an xj for performance. Regardless of the end result, it's always nice to see a well done xj beat a competitor in any category. Keep on keepin' on.

ps. my 00 xj is (suspension) stock, with some bolt on motor mods. I have two friends who get pissed at me because i shit on their 5.9 durangos when green light comes on.

pps, my lifted 88 xj shits on a lot of cars too. It's a good feeling, and you'll enjoy it, I am sure. A lot of people reading this thread will agree.

Can we at least all agree, for what it is, the chero and 4.0 is no joke.

i wanted to have a street xj/mj to go with my waggy xj for off road. i would go 2-3 inches lower some poly bushings better sway bar kyb shocks and a 4.6 stroker , or s charge a 4l ho . 245-50-16 on 16x8 4 inch bs and for sure i would have to keep a 242 . for all wheel drive . nothin is better for the twisties then awd . i some nice tinted windows and a dynomax to finish it off . oh ya .....good luck on the build up

the_cheif said:
Can we at least all agree, for what it is, the chero and 4.0 is no joke.
Damn straight, when completely stock, I could burn my friend's Saab 900 off the line with room to spare, it would take him a while to catch up.

As for Low end torque, after lifted with 32's and no regearing, I impressed my friend in my passenger seat when I beat my other friend's Porsche 944 off the line for a while before he would come back and beat me.

I would love to have an XJ that could absolutely burn everyone away, like this kid the other day in a riced out jetta who tried to do a burnout in my school parking lot, but his car made a horrible noise and all you could smell was his clutch burning. All those "cool kids" who think their cars would absolutely destroy anything, would just get left behind in the dust, and I would make sure to have a giant sticker of a hand giving the finger on the back window for them to look at as I passed just so they could know how I felt.

waggy said:
some poly bushings better sway bar kyb shocks and a 4.6 stroker , or s charge a 4l ho . 245-50-16 on 16x8 4 inch bs and for sure i would have to keep a 242 . for all wheel drive . nothin is better for the twisties then awd . i some nice tinted windows and a dynomax to finish it off . oh ya .....good luck on the build up

my plan exactly. anybody want a straight swap for my 231?
be on the look out for used Moab wheels!

XJRocket said:
that is what i am going for:D

Let me know if you ever take your street Jeep to P.I.R or Woodburn drag strip. I don't live to far away and would be more than willing to come watch, take pics of, and root for the XJ against all the ricers. There is nothing I enjoy more than watching a lowered ricer get burned off the line by a Cherokee. :D

streetpirate said:
my plan exactly. anybody want a straight swap for my 231?
be on the look out for used Moab wheels!

If you weren't on the other side of the country, I just picked up a parts XJ with a 242.

Someone mentioned using S-10 springs. I wish I could remember the company name, they did it on one of the car shows, it was a bolt up 4-link air bag suspension for the rear of an S-10. That would be trick if you could make it work on a XJ.

My dad told me stories of hearing the Comanchee that AMC was building for the Salt Flats. Said it would free rev up near 8 or 9K RPMs. You could hear it in the shops.

I think it would be cool to have a sleeper. I wanted to build a 2wd Comanchee for a few years, for just that reason. All Jeep parts. Blow the doors off of the ricers.

Have fun with it. Post pics.

Erik

Back