• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering...

db209_2000

NAXJA Forum User
My '98 is a total pavement pounder. I like the way it handles curves so well now that I don't want to jack it up and lose stability. Have any of you tried lowering an XJ? Any thoughts on how to do it? Coils are easily swapped out, but leafs, hmmm.

I hope to have my own little site up soon.

"When it comes to being the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, it's just a freight train coming your way." - James Hetfield

Haha, o man, if this is anything like I have seen on car domain, I can't wait to see the replies that this thread is going to get

man, isnt it ok to love xj's without having want to wheel it?

im not a huge tuner fan. im a mopar muscle car guy at heart.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062119 my baby :)

dont like most of the rides on car domain, all pimped' with the wrong kind of dubs
i like the idea of bushwacker flares and 295/50's on an xj. you can make them burley and fast without the gaudy mtv shit.

man, i hate so say it (this is my first time) but search the forums! its in there! trust me
on this one. those are the threads i usually start! (not too many replies usually)

In this forum what you are asking is perfectly acceptable, screw the haters.

I would change springs in front, and go spring under in back. Watch the driveshaft lengths, make sure they are not to long, might also want shorter lower control arms depending on how much you slam it.

Keep us posted.

Rev

i may be wrong but what about tj coils up front that would lower the front

streetpirate said:
man, isnt it ok to love xj's without having want to wheel it?

Yeah, it's ok, but why hack up a 4x4 XJ. Find a 2wd XJ. They made them. Lower it. Slam it. Make it scrape.

But why lower a 4x4? Is it a full-time transfer case? Maybe then I could see why, but I still wouldn't like it!

Why take away a vehicle from those of us who want to wheel it? Find a 2wd. Then you could probably contact Rancho, who makes a lowering kit for the 2wd Comanchee and see how you could make it work for the Cherokee.

I like going fast. I like watching other people go fast. I just don't like seeing off-road worthy 4x4s being lowered. Slam a S-10 Blazer or Pathfinder.

My $.03

Trailbst said:
Yeah, it's ok, but why hack up a 4x4 XJ. Find a 2wd XJ. They made them. Lower it. Slam it. Make it scrape.

But why lower a 4x4? Is it a full-time transfer case? Maybe then I could see why, but I still wouldn't like it!

Why take away a vehicle from those of us who want to wheel it? Find a 2wd. Then you could probably contact Rancho, who makes a lowering kit for the 2wd Comanchee and see how you could make it work for the Cherokee.

I like going fast. I like watching other people go fast. I just don't like seeing off-road worthy 4x4s being lowered. Slam a S-10 Blazer or Pathfinder.

My $.03

x2

Trailbst said:

My $.03
where did he say his is 4wd?

even if it's a 4x4, he's doing the wheelers a favor. once it's lowered it definitely won't be going offroad, then in 5 years when he sells it, it will have been babied and ready to be made into a wheeler.

I say go for it. Modify it however you like. One way of customizing a Jeep is as good as another. Just don't put any of that "Pimp my Ride" bu!!$hit on it. :D My xj is a total street machine too. I have a trail-only bronco, and I needed to replace my Mustang Cobra with something that was more useable in the foul weather we get here and could haul a coulpe of mountain bikes. I have AWD, and utility. And when I get done with the blower install, I will have the power too. I have thought about lowering mine too, but I came to the conclusion that it was low enough at stock height. I say go for it. and post pics when you are done!

Of course Part of my enthusiasm can be attributed to my sick obsession with the Syclone/Typhoon twins. There is just something cool about an SUV that can kill Corvettes.:D

Last edited:
I did one awhile back did spring under axl in the back and cut TJ coils in the front......dropped it 4". used urethane swaybar bushings . went with 242 transfercase for high speed on road 4 wheel drive and installed HD rear swaybar from sway away. tires where pirelli P7's on 16" x 8" rims.......had to cut down front bump stops and make a new drag link with bend in it to miss the oil pan at suspension compression. uni frame rail was about 6" off the ground

test drove on switchback from flagstaff to sedona.......very quick through the corners. sorry donthave pics lost em all when my ol puter crashed

xjnation said:
I did one awhile back did spring under axl in the back and cut TJ coils in the front......dropped it 4". used urethane swaybar bushings . went with 242 transfercase for high speed on road 4 wheel drive and installed HD rear swaybar from sway away. tires where pirelli P7's on 16" x 8" rims.......had to cut down front bump stops and make a new drag link with bend in it to miss the oil pan at suspension compression. uni frame rail was about 6" off the ground

test drove on switchback from flagstaff to sedona.......very quick through the corners. sorry donthave pics lost em all when my ol puter crashed
with some nice shocks and good bumpstops sounds like it could be a really fun rally "car"

BrettM said:
with some nice shocks and good bumpstops sounds like it could be a really fun rally "car"

I used koni adjustables and yes on the trip back up the switch backs a camero was behind me and could not keep up.........when I got to the top I stopped to let the brakes cool and he stopped and patted me on the back and said "holy S**T what the hell you got there! I had no chance of keeping up on the corners, the back end would kick out and you stuck like glue...and you where carrying the inside rear tire off the ground on most corners.......shook his head and walked around it and left giggling.......I have been thinking of building a 4cyl MJ the same way....aka archer brothers racing

lowering a jeep hurts my jeeps feelings! but if you want it go for it... only lowered xj's i have seen are spl and sound off competition vehicles...most folk here are not going down that route but hey free country :us:

aparke4 said:
lowering a jeep hurts my jeeps feelings! but if you want it go for it... only lowered xj's i have seen are spl and sound off competition vehicles...most folk here are not going down that route but hey free country :us:

yep in the 80's the lowered jeep MJ's hurt everyone ones feelings.........toyota, dodge, ford, chevy, nissan.........the archer brothers only lost like one radce in 3 years of racing...........they took each other out by bump drafting.....some pretty good heritage for lowered jeeps

1988jeep.jpg

Last edited:
Ya I'm interested to see what those who have the lowered or street-moded XJ's look like. By my first comment, I only ment that I knew there would be people ready to drop everything and b*tch the person out for lowering it. I think that they are pretty nice, as long as they are kept clean and no huge dubs or stupid stuff like that. I saw one older XJ that looked like it was falling apart with huge crome rims on it, my friend and I both agreed that the rims had to cost more than the jeep did, and it looked like a total P.O.S. Theres a nice blue street XJ on car domain somewhere, I wouldn't mind owning a street xj sometimes.

XJRocket said:
Are 2wd XJs IFS or solid axle?
im pretty sure its solid axle

Back