• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering...

i would also re gear it just for fun , nothing to steep maybe 3.73 , a locker in the back might still be a good idea also

waggy said:
i would also re gear it just for fun , nothing to steep maybe 3.73 , a locker in the back might still be a good idea also
no locker wold hae negative effects on handling but the np 249 from a grand cherokee would be the ticket a true high speed TC

just wondering, why would the 249 be better in this application than a 242? are they lighter? less moving parts?

249 = 4hi or 4lo selections only, always full time

doesnt running in full time all the time lower your mileage? i would think you would want 2wd unless you needed the traction ie: smokin off the line or twisty country roads.

the 242 is stillnot supposed to be used at highway speeds for long distances.........the 249 is designed for al whee drive.........if you are gonna build it to be fast on street who actually cares about 1 mpg?

5-90 said:
Lowering an XJ? Making a street rig? I don't see why not -and the low-end torque available would make it a damn good sleeper...

However, lower it with an idea in mind - not just 'how low can you go?' That looks ridiculous enough on everything else, and damnfoolish on the whole "compact truck" scene.

I could see a "concept" vehicle done well - you could make it look like it's still riding fairly stock, with a little work, until you get a closer look. If I had another rig and the time (and shop space,) I'd be willing to do something like that myself, just to be different. I'm already doing a restomod on an 89 Limited to make a more effective commuter for my wife, so that's probably a step in the same direction.

Again, I have no issue with "concept" lowered vehicles - just this childish lowering with nothing else planned gets me (and vehicles with cut springs should result in the owner being shot. Maybe shot dead. I'm sick of ricers that run over a nickel and bounce for a week...)

5-90

That's exactly the look I want to go for :flipoff: . I wish I had some space too though, and money, lol. All I want is a lower center of gravity to handle better. I have the Mopar accessory "Stratton Polished" 15x7 wheels for summer. Picked them up for $24.00 each when the XJ went out (one of the perks of working at a 5-Star dealer :) ). For now I'll just leave it stock height. Trying to save toward a first house and wedding. Hopefully I'll have a garage soon!

Gonna get a small website together tomorrow with pics and stuff.

"When it comes to being the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, its just a freight train coming your way." - James Hetfield

xjnation said:
the 242 is stillnot supposed to be used at highway speeds for long distances.........the 249 is designed for al whee drive.........if you are gonna build it to be fast on street who actually cares about 1 mpg?

Trust me, the 249 weighs a ton more than the 242. The hydraulic coupler in the 249 is at least 45-50lbs alone. But it is reccommended more than the 242 for long distance 4WDing. If it wasn't for the bolt pattern I would love to have the t-case out of an '05-up Grand with the 3.7. It's a one speed AWD t-case.

If you've got a train anytime soon, I've got a 242 lying about that isn't doing anything but waiting to be rebuilt. It's an early version, so you'd need an input gear as well.

Anyone running a parts train from there to the SF Bay Area anytime soon? If he doesn't have an exchange part, we'll negotiate...

5-90

Dvipercop said:
Let me know if you ever take your street Jeep to P.I.R or Woodburn drag strip. I don't live to far away and would be more than willing to come watch, take pics of, and root for the XJ against all the ricers. There is nothing I enjoy more than watching a lowered ricer get burned off the line by a Cherokee. :D

My goal is to have a my XJ kickin Ricer tail by June 1. When it is done I will practically be livin at PIR on wednesdays and Friday nights and occasional weekends at woodburn:D. I will definitely give all the Jeepers in the area a heads up cause I am gonna need a cheering section. I am gonna track thrash the hell out of my blower kit before I pawn one off on anybody else. as a bonus, maybe it will work as a little local advertising.

Engaging the 4wd shouldn't affect mileage, at least not significantly, assuming your tires are all similar diameter. The entire front assembly is constantly engaged, so it constantly spins, regardless of whether you have the 4wd engaged or not.

Iif all I were doing is drag racing in 2wd, ie, not using full-time like on turns and whatnot, I'd get a beefy single-gear TC. You don't need full-time until the front and rear axles start turning at different rates.

I would love to build myself a lowered/street XJ to tow around my lifted/built XJ :)

:flipoff: Confucious say, "Such is Jeep Nirvana." :flipoff:

i would love to trade are you going to be up in toronto anytime soon ?
streetpirate said:
my plan exactly. anybody want a straight swap for my 231?
be on the look out for used Moab wheels!

dont think so
local u-pull it said $100 for a t-case. there is at least two there, possibly with less than 140k miles. even came behind '87-'90 4.0 aw4's. migt be another one in there too.
is there a certan year to look for? or is there a better bolt on swap?

I went the "streeter" route a few years ago ('99) on my '98 Classic. I didn't do much wheeling, and it had a 60 mile drive to work. I did not lower, but used Bilstein shocks, and put on an 18x8 with 265/60/HR18. Wheels were TSW Trackers (no longer made), tires were Bridgestone Dueler HTS. It did rub slightly if there was alot of weight in the back, but only on the rear bumper end caps. It handled quite well ....for a Cherokee.

Scan0001.jpg

XJClassic said:
I went the "streeter" route a few years ago ('99) on my '98 Classic. I didn't do much wheeling, and it had a 60 mile drive to work. I did not lower, but used Bilstein shocks, and put on an 18x8 with 265/60/HR18. Wheels were TSW Trackers (no longer made), tires were Bridgestone Dueler HTS. It did rub slightly if there was alot of weight in the back, but only on the rear bumper end caps. It handled quite well ....for a Cherokee.

Scan0001.jpg
Do you know what the offset was on those wheels?

this is the street and performance board , I can see where you would get better times by getting lower to the ground. mod away and post pictures !!

What if I were to pull a leaf out of the rear? would that drop it a little?

rredalty said:
What if I were to pull a leaf out of the rear? would that drop it a little?
Sure would, but then you'd be changing the spring rate sompletely Not to mention that you would weaken the stiffness of the pack, likely you'd get axle wrap. You also would limit your load capacity significantly. Bottom line, I wouldn't do it.

Back