• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm tire clearance?

xjJoel

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I am new to the board and I have a couple questions. I have prety well used up my CJ and I am excited about taking my XJ to the next level. I am considering using the Full Traction long arm kit. I currently have a Rubicon Express 3.5" kit on it now. The question I have concerns front tire clearance on the lower controll arms. I have a fair amount of tire rub now with 31" tires and the Rubicon lower controll arms. I would like to upgrade to 35" Boggers with the Full Traction long arm kit. The only concern I have is tire clearance to the lower controll arms. I already have the Super 30 kit with Scout inner C's and Chevy outers for the front axle and a 1987 Grand Wag rear Dana 44. Both have 4.88 gears and ARB's. I prefer the Boggers because of the steep muddy trails we have here in the midwest. Any input from those running the Full Traction long arm kit would be great.

You need new rims with less backspacing. If you're rubbing right now with 31s I bet you're using stock rims or aftermarkets with the stock 5.25" backspace. Look for something closer to 4" BS instead.

You are right, I am using the stock rims right now, the rims I have with the 6 bolt pattern are 15x10 with 3.5" or 4" back spacing (I will have to measure for sure). I don't have my front axle together yet but I suspect I will also gain some track width with the Chevy outers. I don't want to totally finish the front until I get the suspension so I can set the caster and pinion angle to the lift.

35' MTRs are fitting nicely on my 93 XJ with 4 1/2 in backspacing. I can get it to rub just a tiny bit on full lock when steering to the drivers side when flexing. I am not sure, but dosen't the full traction kit require exhaust modification(cutting at the headers)? I have heard that it does...maybe that is only on the TJ's or just a rumor.

I think the system that requires extensive exhaust modification is for the TJ. I have heard rumor of some contact with the upper controll arm and the S pipe on the passenger side on XJ's. What system are you running outfitterguy? I am open to other sytems as well. The pics I have seen of the Full Traction system look like they move the lower controll arms 1-2" closer to the tires.

I am running RE XJLA 7.5 on the front with the RE leaf pack in the rear. I have heard of people having minor rubbing issues with both the Full Traction and the Rubicon kit, a little tinkering and you can alleviate the prob. Have not heard much about rubbing issues on the Clayton so I have no opinion... I hear that the Clayton is weld on and my welding is not so pretty?

I'm running the Full-Traction kit with 35" BFG muds on 8" rims and 4" of backspacing. They rub alot. The tires have rubbed all of the powder coating off of the arms where they make contact. I would try rims with 3" or less backspacing. I don't know how your outter knuckle set-up will be since I'm running the stock D30 (HP44 in the works right now).

There are no exhaust modifications needed for the XJ's.

I've written a few threads/posts concerning this kit. Do a search for more info.

Back