• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Little Red

Only issue with that is that 134a is less efficient as a refrigerant and needs larger evap and condenser coils to work well. Supposedly 152 works about as well as 12.

true, but I live in the north, it's not like I'll be seeing 100* days on the regular. Hell, I might use AC maybe 20 days in a year.

I'll investigate the 152, but I'm really trying to keep this thing "normal" with common parts and such that I can get anywhere, anytime.
I'm done playing the custom game, one of those in the driveway is enough, and the 01 is it.

That's the great thing about it.

R152 procedure: install all factory r12 parts. Vac and dispose of any air or remaining stuff in the system. Fill with r152 and appropriate oil. Drive.

I think, but am not sure, that you can even mix it with r12 for recharge purposes.

The only different part is how much refrigerant you put in due to different molecular weight.

Yeah, I'm a chronic '5 over' speeder. Some call it speeding. I call it efficient.

If they call you a speeder from where you are they would hate me! My commute in SoCal puts me through the desert. If you aren't doing 90-95 in the fast lane, your getting tailgated by drivers. :confused1

you didn't even see underneath

3ygu8yge.jpg

You may have saved the lives of two people today thanks to this picture.

A motorcycle with passenger decided to turn right from the left lane coming off the highway right across the path of my Jeep. Thankfully having just replaced my brakes and adjusted my load sensor from this pic, I was able to stop in time

the other turned too. maybe is has LSD?

who knows and who cares. I'm never opening the D35 diff. It's gonna get chucked in the trash where a D35 belongs.

put 500 miles on it yesterday.
Sadly cap did not work out. Had an angled front and didn't fit against the cab.

Did get a clean dash and center console, and a door to practice body work on.
truck managed 25 mpg on 30, doing 63-65.

I've gotten 23 with an OBD1 rig, and 22 with an OBD2 right, both automatics.

Haven't broken 20 yet with the 98 since I swapped it to a manual, mostly because I like how it sounds when I downshift and boot it.

If you have the right size speedo gear and are under 14-15mpg with a stock motor there are really only two options... one, you have some sort of sensor/running issue, or two, I'm not sure how you have a license still.

I say that because I *average* 80 on my commute sometimes, and I have never once dropped below 14mpg, with a 250k tired motor and a number of vacuum leaks. I averaged 15mpg in my MJ on 33s when I was DDing it, and around 14-16 in the auto XJ with the same gears on 33s.

I average 15 when commuting my '96 on 30s (3.55), that's about 60/40 highway vs. city. Highway I'll usually get 16 - 17 at 75-80. 55 will get me 18-19 if I'm easy on it. I've only gotten 20+ on special stretches (downhill, tailwind, etc.)

Red Jeep (35s, 4.88s) highway at 70 gets about 12-13. If I set cruise at 55-60 I can generally pull about mid 15s.

I averaged 21.2 for a trip from phoenix to LA once in a stock 97 with 30 inch tires. Cruise at 75 with the ac on. :cool:

I averaged 21.2 for a trip from phoenix to LA once in a stock 97 with 30 inch tires. Cruise at 75 with the ac on. :cool:

that's about what the 01 manages with 245/75s.

I figure that this thing gets fantastic milage because Renix, 127K miles on the motor, and my driving habits.
30 is pretty much flat for that entire 200 miles. I wasn't in a hurry and traffic was light, so 63 MPH it was.
I rolled 184 miles (GPS) on 7.3 gallons of fuel.

put fuel in it yesterday.
rocking 20 combined. Accord only did 23. So this thing gives up 3 MPG in all regards to a 2000 Honda Accord. That's a trade off I'm willing to make.

Runs well, really need to gather the rest of parts for axle swap so I can fix the RMS leak. It's pretty substantial. I may pop a bearing cap or two and have look. I tihnk the oil pressure gauge is correct. It only shows about 22 PSI when it's hot at 1700 RPM cruising down the road. Idle that drops to about 15.
No knocking or anything like that though.
Should I toss an oil pump in it while the pan is off? It rolls right up to 60 PSI on a cold start and hovers around 40 on the road until it gets fully warmed up. I got the same numbers with 10w40 and 15w40 and different brand oil filters. I don't really want to put 20w50 in it.

You may have saved the lives of two people today thanks to this picture.

A motorcycle with passenger decided to turn right from the left lane coming off the highway right across the path of my Jeep. Thankfully having just replaced my brakes and adjusted my load sensor from this pic, I was able to stop in time

I looked under another stock MJ that was old man owned here in town and his propo valve was in the exact same position unloaded. So slightly above horizontal is where you want it.

Generally, 1psi per 100 rpm is considered safe. So your number don't suggest a need to do anything. If you're pulling the pan anyway for RMS, then might just throw a new pump in, but I doubt I'd bother pulling caps.

Back