• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lil' Boulder Alley

Dan Starc

NAXJA Forum User
Even though those who entered and escaped Boulder Alley called it a "nice" trail, I seem to recall some kind of damage to 10 out of 13 rigs that went in...that's a lot.
The Alley will bite back.
Dan Starc
NAXJA 676

Looked like there were some offshoots that could really bite back.

Dan, did you get your gps unit back?

Let's see...

Greg tore his steering ram off his axle.
Sean blew a hub(what's new? :D ).
Gary took out a window.
Andy broke his steering shaft.
I popped out a tire plug and had to replug it but I wouldn't call it "damage".
Who else?
And that was a nice little trail. :cool:

Jes

Something bit my steering hose......

then the next thing you know, tim flowers and I were trying to figure out which part of the other guys body we'd eat first if they died.....I forget what tim decided, but I was pretty sure I'd eat his ears first.....kinda like a chocolate bunny.

wierd trail.......

Sounds like a badass trail!

PS, Dan, youve got PM

This was good!
picture.JPG

Jes

doesn't it really suck that none of these pictures folks have been posting show the true scale and craziness of these obstacles????

why do they all look like schaffer trail?

Beezil said:
doesn't it really suck that none of these pictures folks have been posting show the true scale and craziness of these obstacles????

I was going to say after looking at that one picture... that doesn't look that bad :) But I rememberd how all the trail pics I take don't show it all either :(

Another perspective:

standard.jpg

and another:

standard.jpg

and another:

standard.jpg

A very nice half day trail......except when there are breakdowns. :) :)

Yeah OneTon, I got my GPS back, thanks!

HJeepXj, what do you mean PM?

Boulder Alley is short and weird, definitely could be run in under 1.5-2 hours in a small group, allowing for more runs afterwards. We have never been able to get out without some stops for trail repairs (never on my rig, heheh)...actually I sheared off my OEM radio antenna plowing through dried-up tree branches while clearing the path for the group...oh well...

FYI only two XJs had ever gone into BA before this run. And only about 20 people have ever seen it, and only 10 or so ever drove it. YES, there are some beautiful offshoots that we'll explore in April. There are two that we explored a bit in the past and called them Skull Canyon I and II, SK I being impassable at the top, and SK II has promises to allow us to connect back to a gravel road at the top. When we were scouting it one rig broke badly so we had to scratch the attempt. We'll be back...

Dan Starc
NAXJA

Hey Dan, we really appreciate you leading us on that trail, lots o' fun! Skull Canyon looked really good, definately doable after a little chainsaw work and figuring out the route out of the top. Those boulders and that waterfall look like great obstacles!
Another shot of the climb on BA...
picture.JPG

Jes

Beezil said:

AMEN!!

I nkow that I didn't run anything as crazy as most of you guys. But I DID have great fun and did some things that I felt were a "significant departure" than the 405 freeway here in SoCal.

Still, when I show people pics of Wipeout Hill, they go "uh ya, it looks kinda... um... did you have fun?"

Unless the Jeeps on it's lid with smoke coming out, they can't get the bun clenching anxiety of what, for regular driving, is standing your car on it's NOSE!!!! So I tells them - "Next time... Put you butt where your mouth is! You're welcome to ride along!!!"

bburge

Once again, the secret is in the people of Moab...

bburge said:

Still, when I show people pics of Wipeout Hill, they go "uh ya, it looks kinda... um... did you have fun?"

Unless the Jeeps on it's lid with smoke coming out, they can't get the bun clenching anxiety of what, for regular driving, is standing your car on it's NOSE
Did you get Mil in your photo of Wipe Out Hill? Any pic with Mil is SCARY... have a look!

standard.jpg

Or how about the mild mannered Cliffhanger trail. Insert Mil and it is also downright SCARY.
standard.jpg

:D

Alex,

Next time we're on a trip together I'm going to get you to ride shotgun so you can get some of your great photos of my jeep. I can't beleive your quality of photos. :D Way cool!

mark

Re: Once again, the secret is in the people of Moab...

Handlebars said:
Did you get Mil in your photo of Wipe Out Hill? Any pic with Mil is SCARY... have a look!

:D

As a matter of fact!!!!

IMG_0863.JPG

OMG!!!!! I'm scared to death!!!

IMG_0866.JPG

(I really was pretty haired out! ;) )

bburge

Tried to!! (I don't have those pics posted yet, but I'll have them up over the weekend...)

Abuot 2 hours SOUTH of Moab, (we took the Moab -> Flagstaff -> Pheonix -> LA route home) in the middle of numb-nutz nowhere, the half inch sidewall tear grew to about 4 or 5 inches! Basically, the entire hight of the sidewall!

So, we did the three way tire swap, 30" spare to the front, 31" front tire to the back with the locker. Took about 45 minutes from flat to back on the road. the only big deal was no spare for the remainder of the 400+ mile trip through nowhere's land...

bburge

Back