• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lexus 1UZFE 4.0 V8 into a Jeep Cherokee.

Arthur242630

NAXJA Forum User
I am posting this question on many forums e.g. Toyota Hilux forum and a Land Rover forum. I am at this moment a little undicided as to which one I should do the conversion in at the momeent it's between the Hilux and the Cherokee I think the Cherokee has it in the Looks and comfort Dept and oh yes the weight Dept. So what I'm saying is I'm after advice, opinoins and just general thoughts on Shoe Horning a Lexus 1UZFE 4.0 V8 into the Cherokee, has it already been done? What problems might I face? Waht power can the standard running gear take? My plans for the engine are as follows when funds allow of course, Full forged rebuild, individual throttle bodies, and eventually an STS Remote twin turbo conversion. Plans for the Jeep, at the moment I'm a little confused as to whether I should give it a lift or lower it and fit low profile tires on it. Both would look so good it hurts my mind trying to decide which route to take does anyone have photos of both lift kitted and lowered? Any help, advice, opinions or just general thoughts greatly appreceated.

I would thing a V8 from a Grand would work better for you. The toyota (with its frame) could probably take the power better.

Arthur242630 said:
I am posting this question on many forums e.g. Toyota Hilux forum and a Land Rover forum. I am at this moment a little undicided as to which one I should do the conversion in at the momeent it's between the Hilux and the Cherokee I think the Cherokee has it in the Looks and comfort Dept and oh yes the weight Dept. So what I'm saying is I'm after advice, opinoins and just general thoughts on Shoe Horning a Lexus 1UZFE 4.0 V8 into the Cherokee, has it already been done? What problems might I face? Waht power can the standard running gear take? My plans for the engine are as follows when funds allow of course, Full forged rebuild, individual throttle bodies, and eventually an STS Remote twin turbo conversion. Plans for the Jeep, at the moment I'm a little confused as to whether I should give it a lift or lower it and fit low profile tires on it. Both would look so good it hurts my mind trying to decide which route to take does anyone have photos of both lift kitted and lowered? Any help, advice, opinions or just general thoughts greatly appreceated.
The AW4 is a toyota trans, so you might be able to get a bellhousing to mate to the lexus motor.
it's electronically shifted, you can look into changing this to manual with something like BrettM's shifter.
awshifting.com I think.
Lowering it probably isn't going to happen, as you wont have the clearance needed between the axle and the motor.

I dont think the other swap ever happened. The guy knew little to nothing about cars, it was just a crazy idea. I think it just kinda changed into a thread about everyones favorite engine swap

The first guy who got this idea started into the build, realized it was a colossal project (wiring and management-wise) and quit, near as I could find. I had this engine as well for a while and was considering the swap, but started looking at it and decided I'd be served better by parting out the car.

This is a project that if done right would give you a great smallblock v8 in your cherokee, but requires a LOT of creativity. Be ready to look at fuel delivery stuff, tranny mating issue (are you thinking of keeping it 4wd? If so, count the t/c as well) and let's not forget that if you do it right you'll also be looking at (basically) a new custom drivetrain.

I don't want to discourage you; this CAN be done, size wise it'd just barely fit in the cherokee's engine bay. If you're bound and determined to drop a v8 into one of these vehicles, the cherokee can hold some good ones, and the one you're looking at is a good choice. S/C it and you've got a heckuva setup. S/C and stroke it and now you've got more power than you'll ever need or use unless you're doing competitive stuff, or hauling tanks for a living.(exaggerating) But be ready for some very extensive, very trial-and-error projects. Platform specific, no one has done this that I could find, and I looked for months. A lot have begun it and abandoned it, but none completed the build.

Was I the guy who knew little to nothing about cars? *shrugs* yeah it was a crazy idea...the new ones usually are.

Edit: I should also add that the HP/torque curve is completely different than with the 4.0 I-6, and you should definitely take that into account. If you've ever driven this v8 you'll know it's powerband is way higher up into the RPM range than our I-6s.

Last edited:
not that kind of crazy idea. I like the idea of it. I remember that it took 2 pages of threads for t to come out that he had not even considered the idea of actually needing a new computer, wiring harness, ect. He was trying to use all stock sensors from a cherokee, and wanting to know how to make them fit a toyota block and still function correctly.

I think it can be done well, there are just better v8 swaps out there

ah, ok. Yeah. too bad too, for a while it seemed like he had progress. Then we realized he was dumb.

If the torque curve issue can be resolved, the smallblock aluminum v8 has a huge amount of potential, into the four-digit numbers. have fun making the drivetrain that'll take it. Or finding a useful application for it. For me, it was a momentary pipedream; then I came back down to reality.

I'm gonna stroke and supercharge my next XJ. (how's that for reality?) :^P

GM blower's not the best choice. They require a lot of rework to get the outlet hooked up- from the factory they're bolted atop a regular lower manifold. The Tbird SC blower on the other hand is setup for inlet and outlet pipes and gives a lot more options for mounting, not to mention it's a lot more compact.

I am actually kinda feeling the turbo more. I think ti will be easier to mount, since it is not my offroad truck it does nto matter as much where I put it

What is the curb weight of the cherokee? Also can i engage the four wheel drive on the road for faster acceleration like a typhoon?

Last edited:
A 2JZGTTE I believe is the engine designation for the Supra's motor, they are tremendously strong and it's a straight six 3.0L so I think it would fit better. Don't quote me on this because I don't know the deminsions of either. I know the Lexas SC300 and the Supra both came with them. They can make amazing amounts of power if that is what you are after, but they are pretty expensive. My brother is big into the import scene and knows a lot about them so I'll ask him.

not only that but I believe in the auto versions of those cars they were backed up to an AW4! And it is a slightly smaller motor. I would love to do this swap one day, the problem is coming up with the motor

As i've said previously that i have posted this question to quite a few potential work horses. Well i posted one on the suzuki vitara forum to see if i could shoe horn one in one of them. I was basicaly accused of destroying the environment and driving a gas guzzler. I couldn't believe it that question had been up there for almost 2 weeks and only got one reply and i got that.

DutchVDub said:
I would thing a V8 from a Grand would work better for you. The toyota (with its frame) could probably take the power better.
Why? The lexus doesn't have a frame. It seems to be fairly common practice around here to add frame stiffener, rock rails, and cages that can all add to the structural integrity, plus I just don't think its an issue.

Arthur242630 said:

I happen to have both parked outside right now, and I have been dreaming of it as well. I will take some measurements if the weather dries up a bit.

I know i've talked about this conversion. But what i've failed to consider or even ask is what is the standard engine in a cherokee like and capable of with further tuning? Please help and advise.

Back