• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lexus 1UZFE 4.0 V8 into a Jeep Cherokee.

What I've read in various places:

- 1UZ will bolt to AW4 using Toyota bellhousing and some combination of flexplate, torque converter, etc.

- AW4 has a standalone control unit and is perfectly capable of shifting the trans without the engine control unit.

- 1UZ may require some inner fender modification to get the cylinder heads to clear.

- Wrecking yards in North America are "lousy" with $500 1UZ engines.

- This is a common swap into LandCruisers in New Zealand and Australia.

This bunch is contradictory and I've heard/read all of them:

- 1UZ control unit is capable of running the engine properly without the original Toyota sourced transmission.

- 1UZ will need the original transmission to work properly.

- 1UZ control unit needs to be reprogrammed and/or swapped for a 5 speed unit.

That's everything I've heard/read on the topic. Take it as dubious info and try to confirm what you can before spending big money.

I figure the 1UZ would be a great engine for an XJ. Smooth, efficient and long lasting. Not a lot of power over the 4.0 but enough to be noticeable and it is a much more modern engine. Likely runs a lot cleaner.

The other engine I'd look hard at would be a modern GM Vortec like the LY5 (5.3 liter) with it's auto transmission (4L60E). Self contained electronics for both units. Supposedly electronics are as easy as hooking up four power wires and finding somewhere to mount the control box.

HTH and report back if you do this - we'd all like to see it I'm sure!

Arthur242630 said:
I know i've talked about this conversion. But what i've failed to consider or even ask is what is the standard engine in a cherokee like and capable of with further tuning? Please help and advise.

Look up 4.7L strokers. The 4.0 has a lot of potential.

the 1uz has an enormous amount of potential...but the torque curve is it's biggest drawback. when you really get down to it though, the inline6 4.0 is IMHO the best engine for the cherokee's intended application. Stroke it and it's just taht much better!.

A 4.0 1uz engine has enough power to make a vehicle offroadable, but you'll be living in the higher rpms all the time. AND, though you could always make some changes to compression, my engine didn't like running on anything less than premium. Mid-grade was acceptable, just barely, but it idled poorly. Stroking it will make it truly offroadable, and you'll have an xj with a ridiculous top speed, comparatively.

how much are you willing to spend?

the I-6 stroked is the most cost-effective measure and delivers a lot of real-world power, lots of torque starting from the bottom up. Mechanically, it's simple to work on.

Swapping in a 1uz could wind up costing a lot, be very time consuming, and you'll in in virgin territory; that's good and bad. Then if you want it to be offroadable, you should at least stroke it somewhat, which is a lot more coin than the I-6.

Yay finally a thread about Toyota CARS! 2JZ-GE has been swaped into a XJ before. Their is one pic floating around the net of crappy quality. The 2JZ has more crank to head height then the 4.0L. The 1UZ is a large block of beauty. Fender trimming will be needed just by looking at it because that engine barely fits in the LS400 which is wider then out tiny XJs.

I think if you wanted power and a easy fit find a 7M-GE or GTE. 1986.5-1992 Supra(Turbo and N/A), 1989-1992 Cressida(N/A Only). They are easy to come buy since they blow head gaskets left and right because Toyota didnt torque the head down to 73ft/lbs. And the common person wont want to deal with the price or labor. Great engine though when rebuild and can make as much power as the 1JZ. If you want a smaller less power built motor then go 5M-GE but no one will touch in the toyota community because their is no aftermarket. My opinion on the 5M, keep the head and put it on a 7M-GTE block.

Also the 1UZ their are motor mounts made to swap it into the MX73 Cressida. MX73 and XJ engine bay are pretty close in size, you might be able to to use them. If you'd like a link Ill dig it up for you.

Back