• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 4.0 cherokee

streetxj

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't posted anything before yesterday for about a year. I had a lot going on. I was going through the process of moving.

I think some of you remember that I'm driving a 2000 4x4 jeep cherokee with cali emissions and that I've made plans of giving it performance modifications.

Well, today I got a 4x2 2 door automatic 4.0 1996 jeep cherokee which is in awesome shape for 2500 bucks. :cheers: I don't have it yet, but my dad gave the owner a down payment and I think I'll be seeing it in person for the first time tomorrow afternoon. It already has a K&N filter.

Here are my plans with it:

Modifying the stock intake system (removing the part that narrows the air inlet)

63mm throttle body

4 hole fuel injectors

99 and newer intake manifold

After market header

Electric fan conversion (maybe a taurus fan)

Exhaust system (Aero turbine muffler, high flow cat 2 1/2 inch from header to muffler with 2 1/4 inch tail pipe to keep up the exhaust velocity or 2 1/4 inch all the way)

ECU/PCM performance tune

And installing the hood vents that I purchased from a naxja member. I'm not sure if it was from talyn or somebody else. It's been a while.

Before I do any of the modifications, I got to sell my 1993 mustang gt convertible. :rtm:

Some pics:

That LOVE sticker is the coming off... :D

download

download

download

download

download

download

download

download

download

download

download

download

download

It has 158,300 miles on it.

yeah they work now. a bit small but they're there. Looks like you have a nice clean XJ!

Thanks. :) Maybe if you click on them, they can get larger. They are photobucket pics. But, yeah, they are on the small side. The current owner took the pictures with his phone. This saturday, the vehicle title will be transfered and the owner/ex owner will be paid the rest of the money.

That's a beauty! Mine's a typical michigan jeep- right down to the in-floor ventilation system.

Thanks. :) Yeah, the salt they use up north on icy roads tend to eat up the metal over time. :( When you have a chance, you can rip out the carpet and basically gut the interior, except for anything that's not covering the floor of the vehicle and weld on patches of metal. You can even clean up the bottom part of the vehicle and spray on some sort of a coating to take care of the rust issue with the floor boards.

And installing the hood vents that I purchased from a naxja member. I'm not sure if it was from talyn or somebody else. It's been a while.

Dark red squarish vents? You're welcome, I think...

Looks like a great start! What injectors were you thinking of using? Also, APN headers are a decent bang for buck option.

Dark red squarish vents? You're welcome, I think...

Looks like a great start! What injectors were you thinking of using? Also, APN headers are a decent bang for buck option.

I know they are red, and I think they are sunbird vents. Yeah, I remember now that it was from you. Thanks. :)

For the injectors, I'm thinking about precision industries.

Can I use the 99-06 intake manifold with the apn header?
I've heard of some cases that the newer intake manifold needed to be grind in a couple of spots.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to replace the down pipe with one that doesn't have that infamous dent under the header. It is a 4x2, so I don't have to worry about front drive shaft clearance. I'm also going to use a 2.5 inch high flow cat and a flowmaster super 40 muffler or an aero 2525 muffler. Not sure which one to use. It's basically going to be 2 1/4 inch from header to cat, flare to 2.5 inch right before the cat and keep that diameter to the muffler and back down to 2 1/4 inch after the muffler.

I'm planning now to be ready when I have $$$ for the mods. :geek:

They did on my 97 2wd. I'd wager someone has already changed it on yours

I wouldn't doubt it. Looks like somebody worked on the exhaust system before. It has a 2 1/2 inch inlet/outlet catalytic converter. It's ribbed also so it might just be a stock replacement or even a magnaflow. I'll take a closer look when I have a chance. The stock muffler is new.

Nice XJ! The pictures you posted make it look like a brand new rig.

Thanks! :) That XJ actually looks brand new in and out in person. It even has the original warranty booklet and owners manual in a clear plastic bag.

The previous owner took really good care of it. Even the engine looks in better shape and has higher oil pressure than my mom's 56,000 mile cherokee. :D It currently has high mileage thin oil in it. I think it's pennzoil. The jiffy lube sticker shows that the next oil change is due at 161,000 miles. I'm thinking about using rotella T oil in it with the puralator pure one oil filter next time.

Back