• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's talk D30 steering upgrades

Jeepin Jason said:
You can do it (inverted-T high-steer) on a D30 using WJ knuckles (have to get an export-spec knuckle for the driver's side). That's what the DEO kit is.

HS3%20.JPG

With any high-steer conversion though, you've got to do a custom trackbar setup to raise it as well. Some kits include parts to do this, some don't.

Thanks Jason, I forgot about that one...........:thumbup:

Jeepin Jason said:
You can do it (inverted-T high-steer) on a D30 using WJ knuckles (have to get an export-spec knuckle for the driver's side). That's what the DEO kit is.

HS3%20.JPG

With any high-steer conversion though, you've got to do a custom trackbar setup to raise it as well. Some kits include parts to do this, some don't.

Using the upper arms on WJ knuckles for true hi-steer works terrible due to the extreme reverse Ackerman. I ran this way for one trail & then went back to the standard WJ over the knuckle, cross-over setup.
I normally won't give up clearance for anything, but for all the tie rods I bent with my old WJ steering, it was better than running with reverse Ackerman.

Paul

mjma said:
thanx. do you have to run the v8 draglink too? so it's like the exact same length and uses the same TREs?

p.s. thanx for the locker!

you would not have to use the v-8 drag link, but if you dont the stock drag link is your weak link. i bent my stock tierod, so i bent it back and welded some 1" angle on the bottom of it, and the next time out i bent my drag link. thats why i just swaped in the entire V-8 stearing setup. i ran that for a while, and even bashed it on some rocks, and it held up fine.

p.s. thanx for the money!

Robert, Look for your PM!!

Guys,
Here is what I did to cure the problems with my FACTORY TJ (SAME for XJ, MJ) steering. The spacers Roberts asking about are FACTORY Jeep Jseries truck parts. Seems they had a set up VERY simular to the JCR kit.

I ended up with near perfect geometry, to boot!!

Here is some pics:

SteeringDriveside.jpg

Hereitis.jpg

RighttoLeftview.jpg

Lefttorightview.jpg

I haven't driven it much as yet, just got it yesterday and its really a trail rig. I'll drive it to work for a couple days and post up what I find, in a couple days.

I hope this helps!!

CW

Back