• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

King of the Hammers! Who wants to go?!

I stand corrected, I thought it was a flat out ban on any regular capacity (I don't consider them hi-cap until you get to thirty rounds or more) magazines that hold more than ten brought in to the state and not intended for LEO use.
Good to know.

Ok so I will know better Mon/Tues but I think I'm good to go money wise.

Gaining 3 hrs don't mean much when driving that far, flying yes. My plan was to use I40 but we will need to keep up with how the pass is doing before we head out fall back would be I10 but it takes us much more south. When I find out Mon/Tues how well I'm doing I will take a look @ chains for the RAM as a just in case factor. I plan to have my fuel and water cans back in the bed so that gives us 10g of water and fuel just in case.
The RAM does not have rear seat DVD as we have no kids and the $1200 was spent on bigger alternator, better all-season tires, skid plates, and heated seats front and back :) it does have 12v power in back and 2 up front along with 110v outlet in the dash. I'll put my CB back in maybe even get with stump to figure out a better way to mount it.

As far as driving I'm good till fort smith,AR then we can swap I'll stay in the copilot seat to make sure whoever is good with all whizbang buttons in the RAM. The earlier we leave the less stressed out we will be trying to get there but please bear in mind crappy weather will ground us the fastest and Feb is still snow/ice season on that cost and @ that elevation. I would rather leave out late Sat night if we can swing it in case we need to reroute due to weather @ high elevation.

Logistics wise what is the plan? My thoughts where get Tim's rig up to the shop before we need to leave so you can get both rigs on the goose before I get there, I can pick Tim up and head up there hook up the goose get Tyler then head up and get Mark along the way so he just needs someone to get him to a off-ramp on I24 then on up to I40 then we can make go no gos at Oklahoma City and Albuquerque if we need to head south and pick up I20 to I10 or I25 to I10 to bypass any weather issues @ 7000ft.

While we are there are you guys planning on sleeping in tents? If so i may need to borrow floor space to crash as the tent I have wouldn't allow us to pull the goose :)

Also need to get the RAM in for service as she's about to hit 20k so oil filter, oil, fuel filter, might as well rotate tires and there is a recall on some HVAC stuff.

I hope everyone is ready for a great ride!

I have a big tent with a hella heater for the cold. I only have two sleeping bags, so we will need some bedding.

I also have everything we will need for food prep.

Logistics. I will take my rig and gear up to Tyler's shop, load up the goose, and await the mighty Dodge. Pick up Mark along the way.

From Knox I guess we would run straight down I-40.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly...

I dont know if I could pull off leaving on Saturday or not but we will see. I wouldn't be against it though. If we get there a day early that gives us time to drive the rigs out to LA for some time. :D

I'm good to leave whenever you guys say. I'll get to the off ramp even if I have to walk from the house. :D

I have a tent as well and a couple sleeping bags. Just let me know what I will need to bring.

Are we gonna do the laundromat thing to save on carrying clothes? Is this business casual??:dunno::roflmao:

No laundrymat in the desert.

My plans are....... Wear untill funky.... place in tightly closed garbage bag. Handi wipe shower, put on clean clothes.

I figure fresh socks and boxers everyday. Jeans/ cargos maybe 3 pair. Sweatshirts/ teeshirts 4 or 5. One pair carhartts, heavy coat.

I can squeeze all that in one big duffle.

I can do funky...

I'm guessing all clothes and such will make the ride in Tim's jeep, to keep out of the elements?

ill warn you now all the reports i hear is its (insert preferred expletive here) freezing at night, its a desert, so it gets windy and literally freezing at night, thats why you see so many campers making the trip out there, just make sure you pack warm for the night and stake the house down good

I can do funky...

I'm guessing all clothes and such will make the ride in Tim's jeep, to keep out of the elements?

Sure. Or in totes in the bed of the Ram.

If everyone is aggreable to sharing a tent, mine will hold everyone. Chairs, coolers, tools, bedding, personal items, there will be alot of stuff, we will run out of room fast.

And I have a hella heater for the tent.

Checked out temperatures for yall, it's not that bad. Weather.com's averages for Barstow show through the end of january and the averages are highs in the mid 60s and lows mid 30s. Depending on the altitude you camp at, shouldn't get much below the 20s at night.

Y'all are more than welcome to use my washer and dryer, shower, floor, or garage.

I am only an hour away. I am going to try an make it out to the KOHs to watch.

BTW: we were out there a few weeks ago and it was only 24 degrees at night. I gets COLD out here at night. JV is sitting at about 2500 feet. They call it the high desert for that reason.

Y'all are more than welcome to use my washer and dryer, shower, floor, or garage.

I am only an hour away. I am going to try an make it out to the KOHs to watch.

BTW: we were out there a few weeks ago and it was only 24 degrees at night. I gets COLD out here at night. JV is sitting at about 2500 feet. They call it the high desert for that reason.

Hell yea! An hour is nothing. We may take you up on the offer for a shower and laundry.

Checks are in hand just need to make it to the bank :woohoo:

After my meeting tomorrow I will call to get a date for service on the RAM, get my filters and oil ordered and figure out a CB mount!

And just to double check this trailer is a goose-neck IE ball in bed of truck correct? Not a 5th wheel IE a shoe/pad in bed of the truck. Also most do but the neck needs to be adjustable should be 2 or 3 bolts to loosen up so it can slide up and down my truck sits a bit higher then most rigs that tow, my pos homebuilt goose has one but I figure I would ask now. Also wheel chocks are good to have if we need to unhook and leave it somewhere so we don't need to drag it all over town.

My gear will be stored in a 48g Rubbermaid ActionPacker Storage Box banging around in rear of RAM, it should have some extra room in it I have a 2nd one as well if we need more covered storage. I'm setting the RAM up much like I did for my 2 week trip out west if you didn't see it at the crawl here is an ok pic of it set up in NM. Tent is not going but the fuel/water cans are and the propane can go as well as the stove if you would like Tim just in case we can't have a fire there.
911591280_hUuwh-M.jpg

Fires are allowed. No pallets or wood with nails, NO glass containers that you can drink from...and they mean it... big fines if caught.

A propane tank and stove take up as much space as charcoal and my little grill, so it really does not matter to me which one we use.

A canopy would be a good idea, mine is junk.

And wood will be very scarce out there especially with the number of people going to KOH. I would suggest bringing your own wood if you want a fire, I know I will be.

We will just buy some somewhere,a few miles away. I'm sure it will get more scarce/expensive the closer we get to Hammertown. I don't want to carry the extra weight all the way from Atlanta... LOL! We are rapidly going to run out of room in the truck-trailer.

I have a 10' x10' easy up I can bring if we need it.

The Goose does have a regular 2 5/16" Ball and IIRC it is adjustable. It does also have a platform (or deck) above the hitch so we could strap wood onto that. Bear in mind, wood is free here except that it would be a little extra weight. In my mind I don't feel like the weight is that big of a deal... I feel like it would be cheaper in the long run to bring wood with us, as it will probably be rather expensive when we get there.

I am still trying to see if we can borrow that trailer again. I talked to Mark and they don't have it anymore, but one of his employees bought it. I am pretty good friends with they guy, so there might be a chance we can still get it, but he's out of town until Monday so I wont know until after that...

Last edited:
Back