• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

King of the Hammers! Who wants to go?!

Here is the official 2011 Griffin King of The Hammers Schedule:

- Sunday Feb 6th 2011 Event move in. Driver registration and check in, course map release pre-running starts.
Welcome party, and opening drivers meeting in the Hammertown Lounge

- Monday Feb 7th Pre-running continues, vendor show move in. Pre-run hospitality lunch on course, seminars begin.

- Tuesday Feb 8th Pre-running continues seminar schedule increases, last chance to register drivers vendor move in.

- Weds Feb 9th 4wheel parts Last Chance Qualifier, vendor show opens, vendor mixer

- Thursday Feb 10th Vendor show, UTV race, contingency line, pre-running closed, trail rides, Raceline show and shine, pit crew challenge. Most prepared club contest.

- Friday the 11th The 5th running of the Griffin King of the Hammers Approx 150 Mile 4wheel endurance race.

So... we cant do anything other than maybe look at some rigs until Wednesday, which is the LCQ. Which will be fun to watch. Thursday we will be able to ride some, but think about how many others will be trying to ride too. Do you really want to tow the rigs all the way there to ride for one day in bumper to bumper trail traffic? Personally, I don't. We need to stay and ride on saturday and sunday as well, and head home on Monday.

Talked to Tim tonight. Thanks for calling me bud.

Looks like the schedule posted above is the official one for our trip. Leave TN on the 7th, head back to TN on the 14th (arrive back on the 15th).

The guy on pirate sent me a PM tonight, he said he's about to go through a divorce so he can't promise that he could go and didn't want us counting on him. He did however offer us the trailer if we can't line another one up. However, I have learned to try not to rely on others so I will still be calling about the one I know of tomorrow.

Last edited:
This won't work for me... got some possible Family stuff I have to do on the 5th, plus I have already told Mark that we would be leaving on the 7th in the early morning, arriving there on the 8th in the evening, and heading home on the 14th, arriving back home on the 15th. I figured it would be better to ride AFTER the event, that way maybe it will be less crowded? Your thoughts?

By the way, is your phone broken, Tim? I have been trying to get ahold of you for about 5 days now to discuss this. The lack of communication between parties attending is starting to push my buttons. :explosion

I can most likely get a trailer but I have to make sure I can borrow it again.

I would be okay with this if we are leaving the 6th and getting there the 8th. Its 2100miles 30hrs @ 70mph and that's not stopping for fuel or food and breaking the law in construction zones (none of which is a good idea that fuel thing is a pesky one) not to mention any weather we can't see to drive in. And no we are not driving faster the fuel tab just starts getting bigger and safety becomes a large problem for me.

I want to get you guys and my truck there and back in one piece. If we can't do the 6th I would plan on getting there the 9th if we get there the 8th great but don't count on it, I've already made most of this trip once this year and if I got anything outta the 4300m I drove it was shit happens if you plan for it, it might not if you don't it prob will and with 10k lbs chasing you around error on the side of caution.

To be clear at this point any of the dates work for me my issue lies in the amount of ground you think you will cover in x time :) Also make sure you have a 400mile bladder :p that will be the avg range for a tank if i had to guess

If you think that's what we need to do Latney, we need to be there for the LCQ on Wednesday.

Its supposed to be a 30 hr trip, but unless we left at like 2 am on monday, we would still be pushed to get there at a decent time on tuesday night. The other thing to remember is that we will be gaining 3 hrs of time on the way out there, due to time change.

So maybe leave on Sunday afternoon instead of early Monday morning?

We probably need to plan on that three hours as contingency time. Just to err on the side of caution.

Plus, I've got a set of portable DVD players if you need to pass the time. We can get a new movie at the Redbox at every fuel up. :laugh:

Last edited:
I have a large bladder, six hours no problem.

Latney, I agree with you on the speed, my truck gets half the mpg at 80 that it gets at 65-70.
If you are agreeable to a driver change at every fuel up, we can spread out the seat time, I don't want you to think that we expect you to do all the driving.

As far as spare tires, the goose that Tyler uses is 8 lug, i'll pull the tires off my truck for spares.

Last edited:
i hope yall are planning on documenting this whole trip!

Hey Latney, I'm with Tim, I don't expect you to drive the whole way. I think we've all pulled big gooseneck trailers before so we need to split the time up if you're good with it.

i hope yall are planning on documenting this whole trip!

I've got two camera's I'll be taking with an extra card. I want lots a pictures!!!

I've got two camera's I'll be taking with an extra card. I want lots a pictures!!!
good cause i atleast know the ride over there could get interesting knowing yall:D

One of us needs a smart phone so we can call on the NAXJA faithfull for a hostile area evac, if we get into more trouble than we can handle ourselves.

Bring guns, bullets, and money.

Well.....maybe just money....

The only states that do not reconize a georgia firearms license on our path is New Mexico and Kalifornia. In NM you must carry openly, in CAL it must be unloaded and locked in your vehicle.

I need to see who reciprocates for a TN license.

Well, looks like I'm in the same boat as you Tim. NM and Cali.

Last edited:
Should be about the same as Georgia

I can take a PS2 (maybe a PS3 depending on Christmas) and a few games. I'd think the Dodge probably has enough room for us to play around some!

It wouldn't by chance already have a DVD player in it would it? Just curious b/c the Duramax does and a lot of new crew cabs come with them unless its a base model (which latney's isn't). Not saying we shouldn't take it if it doesn't, I'm just curious. haha.

Just so you guys know, it took us 36-ish hrs driving in shifts nonstop (only stopping for fuel) to get to Battle Mtn Nevada, that was with a dodge 2500, 30ft goose, and 1 jeep. There aint no way your making it in 30 hrs factoring in traffic, snow/ice, mountains. Just a thought, it'll be a bad azz trip for sure though. The drive itself will be a trip to remember.

Back