• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just looking for some input

4x4xj

NAXJA Forum User
alright my jeep has now around 5-5.5 inch of lift, i got 3.5" full lift kit and 2"pucks upfront and 2"blocks in rear. the blocks are old stock xj leafs cut at center and seem to holding up. its temp but really are working well. i run 33s and have d30/d35 with 3.55 also locked front and rear. did the old welding of spiders and used a old power door lock acuator (sp) to activate the front cad (vac lock) everything has worked for about 6 month and i wheel pretty dam hard, thick mud, rocks, i never look away from a trail. but here is my questions

im not gonna go larger then 6" lift i like the height now, and no larger then 33s

so should i get d44/d44 or should i just carry spares for d30/d35. its a trail only rig and never sees more then about 2 miles of pavment. plan on getting 5.5 or 6" springs and leafs and doing all the right steering mods. just asking if i should get new gears 4.88s or get d44s and gear and lock those? just asking to see if anyone runs 33 on d30/d35 locked and what they did to make them last or what i can do to make them last.

money is a issue, trying to build it for cheap but spend it in the right spots

i know i will get flamed for some stuff i got so flame away best advice is the hardest to take. thanks.

also what are some sites that sell cages i found some just looking for more. thanks.

4.88's is a little extreme for a D30, but we wheel hard out here in the PNW.

As long as you fully weld your u-joints in, you should be fine. I've never broken a D30 shaft and I beat the piss out of my Jeep. FiFo on this board was breaking 30 shafts left and right. I welded in his u-joints and he hasn't broken one since.

As for the cage A DIY job is the best, if you can find someone with a shop that is equipped (tubing bender, welder, cage building expierence) Otherwise there are several bolt in kits that work fine.

alright but they do sell 4.88 for d30 but thats the highest. i know i could go with 4.56 but since its a trail rig i want the extreme.

4x4xj said:
plus if the front breaks you always got the rear :)

any write ups on welding u-joints ?

But if you are on a trail that WILL require 4wd, look at getting winched out.

Its easy. Do small tacks, and let it cool before going any farther. Don't want to cook the insides too bad.

None that I have seen. Once you get the joint in the shaft (use lots of grease). I clean up the joints with a wire wheel and some solvent (brake parts cleaner) and fully weld those fawkers in there.

On my Jeep, they usually last me about a year before I have to replace them from the needle bearings wearing out. But I have yet to actually BREAK a u-joint.

If you need them welded in, you can always PM me. I'm in the everett area. I'll take care of it for a 6 pack of beer.

good man, only thing is my jeep is at my house in spokane, i only got an apartment here and they dont want it parked out front. i need to bring it over here though cant wheel much when the jeep is 280 miles away. thanks for the offer would of enjoyed the six pack(s) and the jeep talk.

Back