• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just having a little fun....ouch!

Goatman said:
I figure Sharkboy had something to do with it..........

Yeah...........there you go.

might be a stupid question goatman, but you DID use a rod for cast, didn't you? high nickel, about 3 bucks a peice- you don't want to buy a pound($$$) and you don't want to preheat it...it's cast.
my bad if you all know this stuff already.

xuv-this said:
might be a stupid question goatman, but you DID use a rod for cast, didn't you? high nickel, about 3 bucks a peice- you don't want to buy a pound($$$) and you don't want to preheat it...it's cast.
my bad if you all know this stuff already.

Preheating works like a champ on cast, burns a lot of stuff out of the pores that you normally can't get out. I've always pre-heated knuckles and center sections before welding to them, then give it a post heat to keep the parts cooling slowly. Never cracked a weld, and I've done plenty of welding to cast iron and cast steel........

CRASH said:
Preheating works like a champ on cast, burns a lot of stuff out of the pores that you normally can't get out. I've always pre-heated knuckles and center sections before welding to them, then give it a post heat to keep the parts cooling slowly. Never cracked a weld, and I've done plenty of welding to cast iron and cast steel........

I'd like to ditto this statement. xuv- wanna tell us where your info comes from?

you can heat it up in the cleaning stage, but i've been told by several welders that if you gotta pre heat it to weld it, you aren't running near enough amps. it makes the weld not want to stick well, and the cast around it will temper differently and crack under stress. i've just been led to the belief that it's a big no no. i've never tried to do it that way, and i don't plan to. :)

xuv-this said:
you can heat it up in the cleaning stage, but i've been told by several welders that if you gotta pre heat it to weld it, you aren't running near enough amps. it makes the weld not want to stick well, and the cast around it will temper differently and crack under stress. i've just been led to the belief that it's a big no no. i've never tried to do it that way, and i don't plan to. :)
Pre-Heating and slow controlled cooling is to relieve stress, and your welding friends are wrong.

I have a habit of taking advice from people who have personal experience, not from those who repeat something they've heard. I also was told by a good friend who was a certified heavy construction welder, and he told me the same thing, then those around here with experience confirmed it. I'll continue to pre-heat and post-heat when welding to cast.

I've found that recreational welding is similar to trail driving. At first you take your time and really think things through, and proceed slowly, then after you get more experience you tend to not be so deliberate and don't think as carefully, and speed things up a bit........which can get you in trouble both welding and driving difficult trail obstacles.

Goatman said:
I've found that recreational welding is similar to trail driving. At first you take your time and really think things through, and proceed slowly, then after you get more experience you tend to not be so deliberate and don't think as carefully, and speed things up a bit........which can get you in trouble both welding and driving difficult trail obstacles.

Amen & pass the gravy.

Goatman said:
I have a habit of taking advice from people who have personal experience, not from those who repeat something they've heard. I also was told by a good friend who was a certified heavy construction welder, and he told me the same thing, then those around here with experience confirmed it. I'll continue to pre-heat and post-heat when welding to cast.

the guy that i first bought cast rods from was a 60 year old mining equipment repairer. my old man can weld better than pretty much everybody here(no offense but you have to see his work). i'm not talking about jeep axles either. i'm talking about adding metal to machine into teeth for a gear inside a pto for restoring a 65ish year old oliver tractor that sees use. or modifing a cast motor mount for dropping a cat desiel into a old ford dumptruck. stuff like that. i guess i'm not saying that you all are wrong, but i know for damn sure that these people know what they're talking about. i'm not near that good, and probably never will be. heat probably works on a large scale, when enough power to otherwise weld would mean shutting down a city block and using a (probably nonexistant) rod that weighs like 40 lbs. just a guess but i bet they run a lot of beads on the same spot. i have seen people heat pretty big forged stuff that would otherwise not be possible to weld without some insane equipment. personally, i won't touch a stick to cast. but i do know that for the quality of some of the stuff i've seen, i would stick to using the method i have been shown to do it, if humanely possible:) .

ok. i asked my father about this a little while ago, and he said that for most of the stuff that people do on axles and such with dc, preheating is fine. the stuff he usually tinkers with is sometimes pretty tedious work. some time when my lazy butt gets around to figuring out how to work this darn digital camera stuff i will post pics of my project, and some of the stuff he's done.:)

xuv-this said:
my old man can weld better than pretty much everybody here(no offense but you have to see his work)...

no offense, but have you seen the work of everybody here to make this comparison?

true, i do not know what a lot of you have done. so i cannot call that a fair comparison. by the looks of that broken weld, i would guess dc was used and it looks like it was not hot enough, or at the best angle. that's just my .02 oh, and i do not mean to come across like a know it all, if i sounded that way.

xuv-this said:
oh, and i do not mean to come across like a know it all, if i sounded that way.
you did! and i hazard to guess, you Dont.:laugh3:

Back