• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought overhead computer console for my 00 XJ. Any tips?

The part number is between the screw holes.

standard.jpg

Well that's definately not what mine looks like at ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called jeeperz creeperz today and they are researching it to find out the problem. Does anyone have one of these laying around they'll sell me? I don't wanna order another one online without seeing a picture to verify!

Help!!!! I am in the middle of installing my console...everything was going smoothly up until it was time to install the new harness. The donor harness is the same year as mine but the problem I'm haaving is feeding the 3 plugs down trough the a-pillar and behind the glove box! There has got to be something easier to do. I've already removed one bolt that holds the glove box frame to the body right next to the fuse box...are there others? Please somebody who's done this before help me! Thanks in advance!

remove the glovebox door, remove a few screws from the plastics and pull them back a bit. Remove the three or four screws along the top of the lower half of the dash along with any screws holding it on at the bottom edge and pull it back as well. You should be able to simply drop the cable straight down.

...the problem I'm having is feeding the 3 plugs down trough the a-pillar and behind the glove box! ..... I've already removed one bolt that holds the glove box frame to the body right next to the fuse box.....

Grab the bottom of the dash and gently pull it toward the passenger seat. The bracket that the bolt goes through can then be slightly flexed to the right and wedged on the door frame. At this point you will have just enough room between the dash and the unibody to slip the wire plugs into place.

Grab the bottom of the dash and gently pull it toward the passenger seat. The bracket that the bolt goes through can then be slightly flexed to the right and wedged on the door frame. At this point you will have just enough room between the dash and the unibody to slip the wire plugs into place.

Ahhhh ok I will give that a shot tomorrow! I am losing daylight and getting tired! I spent wayyy too much time in the yard today and started on this project far too late in the day to finish...tomorrow is another day!!

Well that ain't happening lol! I pulled on the dash as hard as I possibly could and it wasn't anywhere near far enough to pry that bracket over onto the door frame! I'm no small guy either so it's like I'm weak! Any other suggestions other than pull all the plastic off?

I use that method to pull consoles at the junkyard all the time. The dash bracket/bolt 1.5" above the duct tape in the pic. In the pic the bolt is still installed, you will need to completely remove the bolt and then pull on the dash.

If that doesn't work for you, remove the bolt in the picture and remove the top trim from the dash, and remove the upper dash mounting bolts at the base of the windshield.

standard.jpg

Well I finally got it...pulling on the dash just wasn't getting it for
me so I pulled the a-pillar trim completely out then loosened the end cap trim piece and that allowed more than enough room...getting the a-pillar trim back in place was a little tricky but a lot easier than trying to pry on the dash. Everything works great!

Alex, your directions you emailed me were VERY helpful but I am SO glad I did not remove my grill for the temp sensor...all I had to do was crawl underneath and there it was!

Ok, so I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who has cut just a little too much of the headliner. I mean it's barely noticeable and can be covered I'm sure. Anybody done the same and covered it with some sort of molding or something else? Let's see please!

BTW, from what I've read the dome light bracket is supposed to have rivets in it from 98-01 and in 97 they had it screwed in....well I guess I got lucky because I had screws in my 98. Good thing too because if I was dumb enough to cut too much headliner, I probably would have drilled straight through the damn roof too! haha!

i went back and picked up the main wiring harness for the console, but when i went to install it they still didn't match the harnesses in my car under the glovebox. should i go back to the junkyard (far away) and get the other ones and splice them in, or should i just cut the harness off the wiring i removed, splice together the wires that are the same color, and then regularly splice the other wires to the left over corresponding wires? i noticed there were about 3 left over on the new wiring harness that aren't in my car. anyone have any knowledge of these? thanks!

i wrote the colors down but don't have them here...i'll edit later or update in this thread, but "i believe there was a gray wire, a dark blue, and a blue with white or light gray stripe. i looked in my haynes manual but it stinks and doesn't list those specific ones. just mentions orange and black and the pink and yellow power wires for the overhead lighting. thanks for any help.

Did you ever figure out what the extra wires were for? I am especially stumped by the extra grey one.

The thread is old. I know. Shoot me for using the search button. If I didn't I'd hear "use the search button"...lol

Anyway, I have a 1997 XJ. What years OHC can I get? 1997-? from ZJ correct? I need harness, plug and play? Temp sensor needs to be connected, correct? Everything else is there?

Last edited:
97+ XJ overhead console is the way to go.

Old thread, but I am trying to wire one of these up. This picture here is very helpful, but I can't tell the bottom pins.

picture

Here is what I gather:

Pin 1 - Black
Pin 2 - Pink
Pin 3 - N/A
Pin 4 - VT/LG
Pin 5 - VT/BR
Pin 6 - WT/BK
Pin 7 - Yellow
Pin 8 - N/A
Pin 9 - N/A
Pin 10 - BK/BL?
Pin 11 - WT/BK
Pin 12 - BK/LG

This is the connector that goes directly into the compass module from the headliner harness.

Once I get it working, I'll post pics, but if anyone has the answer in the meantime please let me know.

97-01 consoles are all be the same. If you get nothing, switch the two wht/blk wires around.

Ground = Black
Power B (+) = Pink
Ambient temp sensor (+) = Vio/Lt Grn
CCD Bus (+) = Vio/Brwn
Fused Igntn = Wht/Blk
Door Jamb switch = Yellow
Ambient Grnd = Blk/Lt Blu
CCD Bus (-) = Wht/Blk
Grnd = Blk/Lt Grn

Last edited:
Hello, I'm new here and I have been following these OHC installation and wiring threads on the forums for a while.

I'm in the midst of installing an OHC into my 2000 XJ. I won the thing on eBay, but it came with a harness from a 97. I have been following the wiring charts and advise that have been posted and have gotten almost all the wiring put into the 2000 end connector. The issue I have run into and have not seen anything discussing it is that the 97 harness has 2 extra wires (dark blue w/grey stripe and solid grey) that I'm unsure of what to do with.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what to do with these extra wires.

My XJ does have keyless entry, but I'm not sure if these wires have anything to do with that.

Thanks.

i have a 97/98 OHC console and harness going into an 01, anyone have what order the wires need to be transfered into the plug?all the old links and photos are dead ends. I'm been searching for days. Cheers

Back