• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jump from 4:10's to 4:56's

I would prefer 4.56 on 33's, but I wouldn't spend the money to regear from 4.10's. I'm at 4.10's with 35's and its not bad enough to worry about right now. I'll be going to 5.13's when I do regear, as my jeep is pretty much an offroad only at this point.

what are you running in the tcase? if you havent gone to 4-1 in the tcase it could be a cheaper/better option

Cheaper probably, but my difs are both welded. Want to go to a selectable locker front, probably Detroit rear. That's why it will probably wait a while, cost will be high. Rear axle is a 30 spline 60, so I'll have to bore out the spindles and buy new shafts at the same time.

This gearing thing gets so heated sometimes.. I have a Jeep Comanche and for me I ran and still do run 4:10 gears .i ran 33" trxus mt tires and that was the perfect setup as far as im concerned . Plenty of power and very good mph ,as much as 19 on hwy with right conditions. So I have to back up the spongbob guy. His is correct and other statements about 4:10 to hi a gear for 33 ..well I totally disagree . Unless you go over 33" 4:10 is good match. 4:88 are just too much ,unless your not going to drive on hwy. change gears when you go 35 and above.

You are crazy.

I bought my Jeep with 32's on it, drove it for a few months, then went immediately to 4.56s. The gearing was perfect, felt like stock probably did. Tons of low end torque and plenty of pickup on the highway. I drove a LOT of highway miles with that setup (gf lived over an hour away) and I was routinely over 75mph.

I think the swap will be well worth it in power and gas mileage. Remember, mileage isn't about how fast your engine is spinning but the amount of load on it. Lower numerical gears means higher load because the engine lugs around at a lower rpm. Put it in it's sweet spot when cruising and your entire drivetrain will thank you.

Plus the 4.56/33 combo is going to be really nice offroad. I'm on 35's now and wish I had 4.88s or higher because it's a bit jumpy on the rocks.

and your inexperienced, on the trip back from Nacfest 2010 we had 2 xj's both on 35" Claws, one had 4.10's and the other had 4.56's, the mpg diffrence was less then 1mpg gps confirmed, as far as being jumpy on the rocks change your driving style i ran 3.55's on 33's and had no issues crawling on the rocks

Wow, didn't mean to start anything. I doubt that I will going bigger then 33's. to me 4:10s just seem too sluggish, I can get up and go but only by flooring it when I need to, I'd like a little more effortless mobility when driving back and forth to work.

You didn't start anything...it was a reasonable question. There's always one Internet tough guy who has to start crap:doh:

This gearing thing gets so heated sometimes.. I have a Jeep Comanche and for me I ran and still do run 4:10 gears .i ran 33" trxus mt tires and that was the perfect setup as far as im concerned . Plenty of power and very good mph ,as much as 19 on hwy with right conditions. So I have to back up the spongbob guy. His is correct and other statements about 4:10 to hi a gear for 33 ..well I totally disagree . Unless you go over 33" 4:10 is good match. 4:88 are just too much ,unless your not going to drive on hwy. change gears when you go 35 and above.
We could avoid the "heated" part if people could avoid turning it personal, and making inflammatory and disparaging remarks.

Just to clarify...I never said 4.10 was too high for 33" rubber... I did say I wish ours had 3.90 or 4.10 instead of the 4.56 we currently have. ;)

Last edited:
and your inexperienced, on the trip back from Nacfest 2010 we had 2 xj's both on 35" Claws, one had 4.10's and the other had 4.56's, the mpg diffrence was less then 1mpg gps confirmed, as far as being jumpy on the rocks change your driving style i ran 3.55's on 33's and had no issues crawling on the rocks

MPG could be based on a few more things than gears and tires. Plus I'd rather have a good driving experience than an extra mpg or two. 35s and 4.56s, I keep my Jeep in 3rd (auto) when I drive less than 50 mph around town or whatever. When I'm on the highway, the trans wants to downshift out of OD up the slightest hill. I'd imagine its even worse with 4.10s.

Seeing how good the driving was with 4.56s and 32s, I'd imagine its very similar with 33s.

As far as my driving style, having an auto, pretty sure there isn't a way to change my driving style in the rocks. Hit the gas, the jeep goes forward. Gearing tells it how much to go forward. When we're bouncing through certain rocky trails, its impossible to be delicate on the pedal. Been looking for a 4:1 TC to change that.

You didn't start anything...it was a reasonable question. There's always one Internet tough guy who has to start crap:doh:

The initial 'you are crazy' was joking based on my experience, same as saying "I don't agree with your opinion, here is my opinion". You just took it personally.

Just under 10% over geared (with an automatic)

This is 33's/4.56's (insert pic of speedo being abut 10 mph off)

Here is something i cut and pasted from the FAQ section :

Deciding what gear ratio to use when changing tire size is actually quite simple.
It's just a matter of mathematics.

Current tire size/new tire size =current gear ratio/new gear ratio

This simple formula will allow you to figure out what ratio will get you back to your current performance.
For instance, let's say you have stock 3.55 gears & stock tires and want to go to 33" tires.
Stock XJ tires are about 27" tall so:

27/33 = 3.55/new gear ratio

Cross multiplying (thought you'd never use algebra again?) gets you this:
33 X 3.55 = 27 X new gear ratio

117.15 = 27 X new gear ratio

117.15/27 = 4.34

IOW, 4.56 gears (the closest avail to 4.34) will give you slightly lower gearing than you had while stock.
From here it's up to you where to go.
If stock performance is fine stay with 4.56. If you want a little more low end grunt, go to 4.88. If you want to murder the rocks go to 5.13 or lower.
BTW, lower gears = higher numerically.

So You were right 4.56 is a Bit low .
But 4.10 is a bit high and While 4.56 is closer to the stock setup (by a very small amount) really its Right in the middle of the two ratio's .

Theres is no way i'd Spend $ and time going to 4.56 from 4.10. but Given the option up front id still go 4.56 .

Besides my jeep is fun to drive being geared a touch low

This discussion comes up like once a month on here, which gear ratio to use? . I say go as deep as the carrier lets you, gear once, because you will eventually go up in tire size, whether or not you think you wont. Its just the nature of the beast. And when you do, youll wish you had deeper gears. it happens all the time.

If youre already at 4.10, and you really really want to spend the cash to regear , Go to 4.88. But since you have already re geared, I agree with Vanimal and Id take that same money to regear and put it into a 4:1 kit or other jeep parts you need, and shop around for a good deal or get a good used case. theres much more bang for your buck at this point in time with a 4:1 kit, since you already regeared to a reasonable gear ratio.

At this point its all about opputunity cost, if you regear to 4.56/4.88, you cant go 4:1.
Or If you go regear, or 4:1 , you cant go on craigslist and get a hp44 or 60, and throw 5.13s-5.38s in there. If you do any of that, you cant use that same money to buy tube and build a cage.

4.10*4= 16.4
4.88*2.72=13.27
4.1*2.72= 11.15

If you want more freeway, go 4.88, if you want more crawl ratio on the trails, go 4:1.
If you want more beef up front, build a better front axle, or buy chromos for your axles or some 35s.

Deciding what gear ratio to use when changing tire size is actually quite simple.

This simple formula will allow you to figure out what ratio will get you back to your current performance.
For instance, let's say you have stock 3.55 gears & stock tires and want to go to 33" tires.

117.15/27 = 4.34

IOW, 4.56 gears (the closest avail to 4.34) will give you slightly lower gearing than you had while stock.
If stock performance is fine stay with 4.56. If you want a little more low end grunt, go to 4.88. If you want to murder the rocks go to 5.13 or lower.

But 4.10 is a bit high and While 4.56 is closer to the stock setup (by a very small amount) really its Right in the middle of the two ratio's .

Theres is no way i'd Spend $ and time going to 4.56 from 4.10. but Given the option up front id still go 4.56 .

True enough...except when you plug in the actual OEM tire size of 28" (the height of a 225 tire, which was the most common tire available on XJ's from the factory), you come up with a reccomended ratio of 4.18:1. I guarantee that my speedo would read accurate rather than 10% under if I went to 4.10 :rtm:

I do agree that if off roading is higher in importance than daily driving/fuel mileage/vibe control, going deeper is smarter...especially when you decide those 35's are something you gotta have.

Have you confirmed that TC lockup is functioning? I have 4.10s with 31's (true 31" tires) and without TC lockup I sit at 2500rpm @ 72. With TC lockup ( I have a manual lockup switch), I'm at about 2150rpm.

Yes, the troque converter locks just fine.

I bought the XJ in 2003 with 225X70X15 tires with the OEM 3.55 gears I have struggled to understand why the RPM is about 100 more than it should be. I now run 4.10 gears and 30X9.5 15 and the RPM is till about 100 above. Sometimes I wonder if the AW4 overdrive ratio is different.

Regarding fuel mileage, I took it up the highway a few weeks ago from Jacksonville FL to St.Marys GA with cruise set at 75 MPH both going North and returning South to Jacksonville and got about 21 MPG. I gave up worying about the missing 100 RPM since 2004 and enjoy the XJ. I still prefer the XJ on the highway than my DD a 1992 toyota pickup or my girl's Elantra which gives 30+ MPG on the highway.

The tires on the XJ now 30" not 31 like you. That should account for about 120 RPM difference,....I think, plus the missing 100+/-.

Are you going solely by the tach, or have you confirmed the actual rpm with a scope or scan tool? Either way I do not believe that extra 100rpm is much of a bother.

You know what always gets me? When people write stuff like 4:10 or 4:56 or 5;13 or 5-38 or something. It's 4.10, or 4.10:1, or 4.1 driveshaft revolutions to 1 axle revolution, it's a gear ratio and the colon or period isn't just decoration.

I know, stupid nitpick, but 4:10 would be 0.4 driveshaft revolutions to 1 tire revolution, that's ridiculously tall. 4:56 or 4:88 is even more comical (1:14 ratio or 1:22 ratio respectively.) There's math behind this, not just choosing a symbol you like the look of.

I would never pay to go from 4.10 to 4.56. From 4.10 to 4.88 I would. There is just not enough difference between 4.10 and 4.56 to justify the cost IMO.

117.15/27 = 4.34

so if I wanted 33", I should go 4.10? Or 4.56 for extra ump?

Honestly, a change is a change. If it helps you on the street or on the trail enough, it's worth it. Even going from 4.10 to 4.56 will change your driveability.

Mustang guys make small changes to their gear ratio all the time, based on their power level. I know that's only one axle, but the same reasoning applies.

I will be going to 4.88s on 35's. I ran 4.10s on 33's for a long time then upped tires to 35's still on the 4.10s. 4.56 is not enough for me. It's not about street-ability anymore though. This jeep has always been a dog. The 4.10s have never been enough.

Sidenote: Bobnoxious, you really overreacted on page 1, and it really made you look like an ass. I once used a vendor that didn't consider my opinion to be relevant... once...

Back