• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Liberty is the Cherokee replacement

Yeah, the power output and RPM band on the 3.7 doesn't seem like a good fit for a 4000+ lb vehicle. I thought the 2.8 CRD diesel was a great idea in that thing, I don't know why they discontinued it / bumped it to a 3.0 in the Grand only.
The 8.25 with discs from factory is sexy - I had to build my own out of envy.

They discontinued the 2.8 liter CRD in the Liberty, because it could no longer meet EPA standards for the USA any longer after the introduction of ULSD. We had an '06 CRD for 2 years, and that thing was a nightmare. Chrysler's take on the EGR system ruined a great little motor, and caused them all kinds of grief in the warranty department. Also, the transmission torque converter was a POS and many of them required warranty replacement. Now couple that with the fact that diesel is running ~$1.00 more (showing no signs of changing either) and to me they aren't worth owning.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great little Jeep. It pulled our boat like it wasn't even back there. The fuel economy was a little disappointing, but the thing weighed nearly 4,500 pounds. We got around 18 MPG city and could get as high as 27 MPG highway but normally ran around 22 or 23 MPG.

We sold ours on eBay to a guy in Canada that was tickled to get it due to diesel in Canada still being cheaper. Plus the Canadian dollar is doing really well against ours. I was lucky to sell it period. We got $16,900 for it on eBay and a dealer offered us $13,500 in trade. The vehicle stickered for North of $30k. Talke about some serious depreciation after only 2 years. It looked brand new and was garaged kept, but was worth nothing after only 2 years.

It was definately one of the worse investments I ever made as far as a Jeep went.

I've driven one. I must say the handling is pretty crisp for an SUV. It just did not feel like i was driving a Jeep though, It seemed too car-like to me. It just doesn't have the uumph that a 4.0 has either. It felt like driving my brother's Civic.

The wife has an '06 Liberty Limited.
Its a nice ride for the STREET.
It will NEVER see a trail.
Here is the closest it will ever see to a trail....
The back yard.
137snicker.gif

06Liberty044.jpg

I like station wagons........
(another backyard shot)
100_1670.jpg

Yeah they suck. Can't do crap w/ them!
BF25.jpg

BullfrogNov099.jpg

KC2.jpg

Pre-sfa, the early days...
Downhillstep1.jpg

BBJBJJ4.jpg

BBJBJJ.jpg

TipOver.jpg

Easteregghill.jpg

fwiw (not much) I have hundreds more from trails that many thought a KJ couldn't do. IT got me started in this madness and I now have 2 KJ's, a XJ & TJ. Love them all!

Ehh - I test drove a KK and wasn't that impressed. The 3.7 just doesn't have the grunt - it has to spin 5k RPMs just to keep 75 miles an hour up an 8% grade at 9500 ft altitude...
Yeah, I'm demanding.
Looks like the KJ does more than people have given it credit for, though - especially in SFA trim.

Ehh - I test drove a KK and wasn't that impressed. The 3.7 just doesn't have the grunt - it has to spin 5k RPMs just to keep 75 miles an hour up an 8% grade at 9500 ft altitude...
Yeah, I'm demanding.
Looks like the KJ does more than people have given it credit for, though - especially in SFA trim.

As mentioned earlier, I paid 25K for my new '02 KJ Renegade. After market lift parts are few and limited to a few inches until you swap to solid axles.

In contast to this, I paid $4800 for my good condition '99 XJ. $5,000 of lift, tires, and off road hardware can get you a very good truck with much more capability than the KJ could think of, and still be 15-20K below the initial Liberty price.

I guess that is my largest problem with the first generation Liberty. I'd rather beat my cheap Jeep on the trail. I've done both, and regret ever spending the $$ on the Liberty. I can only imagine where I would be if I bought a used Cherokee back in 2002 and kept adding parts for the money I saved.

:doh:

Yeah, I'm demanding.

Funny thing is I have run almost all the same trails w/ both IFS and SFA and biggest difference is now it is easy, less challenging. (and less worry about a broken front diff now too)

So how much Was a new XJ in 2001? I paid $19,3K out the door on my 03 KJ Sport (one in pics) factory ordered, delivered Feb 03. I agree on the torque of the 3.7L compared to the tired old 4.0 in my XJ, that thing still pulls like a mtn goat! Oh well, the KJ is fun and capable and it got me into this hobby so I can't complain.

I would not mind a new styled liberty. They are a dodge nitro but the liberty looks a lot better. I also would not drive it in the woods.

The KJ's I've seen lifted and SFA'd look good but way out of my price range.
I love my XJ's even compared to other Jeeps. I've learned alot about them in the past few years.

The biggest reason I would get a KK is that I'm just plain sick of fixing little things on my XJ. The body electrical is a nightmare on this thing, 98 power everything. At least it gets me down the road, though...

all the newer boxier jeeps are cherokees, the 4 door jeeps are just cherokees that the doors come off of and the top comes off, some of us showed them the way when we cut our hinges and chopped the top, i think they owe us reperation.

all the newer boxier jeeps are cherokees, the 4 door jeeps are just cherokees that the doors come off of and the top comes off, some of us showed them the way when we cut our hinges and chopped the top, i think they owe us reperation.

You're forgetting the full frame that the Kee never had.

dang right flex, saying you need a frame to wheel is like saying you need a shirt to fry bacon, it might sting and burn in the beginning but sooner or later you get used to it

wouldn't be an easy swap, it would be IFS to solid axle...

Is that a solid axle conversion I see under that liberty?
Details on the conversion??

Yeah they suck. Can't do crap w/ them!
BF25.jpg

BullfrogNov099.jpg

KC2.jpg

Pre-sfa, the early days...
Downhillstep1.jpg

BBJBJJ4.jpg

BBJBJJ.jpg

TipOver.jpg

Easteregghill.jpg

fwiw (not much) I have hundreds more from trails that many thought a KJ couldn't do. IT got me started in this madness and I now have 2 KJ's, a XJ & TJ. Love them all!

wow, that thing looks pretty sick :D

Back