• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JEEP CHEROKEE DAILY DRIVER ROCKCRAWLER-VERY SICK MUST SEE-$20K+INVESTED

CharlieG

NAXJA Forum User
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170016948030

1d4ea7c5.jpg

2e669de2.jpg

$11,475
IN EASTERN PA

This Jeep has been my daily driver for the last 2 years, in which time it has received all of the modifications done to it. All parts are less than 2 years old and most are much newer. Nothing has been spared when it comes to making this Jeep drive and perform as it should. All maintenance and upkeep has been done religiously. The Jeep has been inspected this month by a very particular shop owner and it gets 13/17 MPG City/Highway! A stock 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon gets 15/19mpg!! If you were to keep a better eye on the RPM’s I am sure you would get 14/18. That’s not easy to pull off..

The Jeep has 161K on the chassis, 25K on the motor, 10K on the 2004 Wrangler Medium-Duty NV3550 5-speed transmission, 10K on the Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, and 50K on the transfer case. The tranny has a great 4.01:1 first gear and a 22% overdrive for the highway. Overall the Jeep has over a 53:1 Crawl Ratio. It will do 76MPH on the Highway at 2700RPM or 85MPH @ 3000RPM and I can’t say enough about the handling, it is very impressive but I will get into that in a bit.

The rear axle is one of very few XJ Dana 44’s and has been completely rebuilt. Everything was stripped down and replaced with new parts. All new bearings, seals, brakes, 4.88 Yukon gears and a Detroit Locker. Total in parts to complete the rear axle with the brakes is about $1600 without the $750 worth of work for the gear installation. The front axle is a High Pinion Dana 30 that has a vacuum disconnect eliminator with a one-piece shaft installed. All new bearings, seals, U-joints, 4.88 Yukon gears and a Detroit True-Trac up front. Total in parts with the HP30 and all components is about $1100 without the cost of gear install. All new gear lube in both axles as of 1 month ago..

Offroad Jeeps are always overheating! The cooling system was completely rebuilt also with $500 in parts. The system was first converted to the ‘92+ style closed cooling system which works much better. It got a new 3-core radiator with a lifetime warranty, a new aluminum water-pump with a lifetime warranty, a ‘98+ style 12-blade electric fan, a high-flow thermostat housing, and a high flow 185* thermostat. This Jeep will never overheat unless you’re doing something wrong. Hasn’t happened yet. All new stock parts like the PCV valve, overflow bottle and hoses too. And of coarse all new coolant with the parts..

The braking system has also been completely rebuilt and is up to par with the rest of the Jeep. It starts with a ’94+ style Dual Diaphragm Brake Booster connected to a ZJ Grand Cherokee Master Cylinder and Proportioning Valve. The ZJ parts came off one with 4-wheels disc brakes and these were needed for the Stainless Steel Brake Corp. Rear Disc Brake Conversion that was done to the Dana 44. It is complete with an E-brake. Too top it off the Jeep got Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines front and rear when the lift was installed. The brake fluid in its entirety is new as of 2 months ago.

The lift is an 8” Long-arm kit from Rusty’s Offroad, one of the most impressive aspects of the rig. This is where the handling comes into play. The Jeep got Bilstein 5150 nitrogen charged shocks with all new mounting points top and bottom, front and rear. At $100 a piece the shocks were worth every penny. With the longarms, nitro shocks, polyurethane swaybar bushings, JKS Quick Disconnect swaybar links and Radial IROKs the handling is extremely nice. Very little body roll and cornering is sharp. When the Dana 44 was installed the Jeep sat ¾” taller in the rear so a ¾” poly spacer was added to the front. The Jeep sits right around 8 ¾” of lift. All of the suspension bushings and parts are good, no problems. The lift kit came to about $2500.

The steering components are also right up to par with the rest of the Jeep. The system starts with a 3” drop pitman arm and connects to Rusty’s Wheel-to-Wheel tie-rod conversion and drag link setup. The tie-rod ends are very good and they do not burn themselves out. For structural support Rusty’s Heavy Duty Adjustable Trac-bar and frame mount were installed. This is one of the best units on the market with a simple leaf-spring style suspension joint in it. A heim joint isn’t needed here since the trac-bar only moves in one direction-up/down. Heim joints only wear out faster. In addition, Rusty’s steering box brace and frame strengthener brace were added.

The Jeep sits on (4) 36x13.50x15 Super Swamper Radial IROKs with 15x10 ProComp Black Label wheels and comes with a full-size IROK spare-brand new on a brand new ProComp wheel. The spare used to sit on a tire carrier on the rear bumper until the carrier’s hinge started to fail. The carrier will come with the Jeep and like I said, needs a new hinge and you’re good to go. The spare on the back adds a nice touch to the rig. With mounting, balancing, and shipping the tires/wheels came to about $1700.

The motor was rebuilt and also had all the problem spots fixed. A new rear-main seal, oil pan seal, and valve cover seal were installed. The motor does not leak. The motor also has new Rusty’s motor mounts installed and his tranny mount. The flywheel was resurfaced with the installation of the clutch. Jacob’s Ignition and wires have been installed and work great. Brand new plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, oil, etc etc.

The tranny install came to about $1300 in parts with the complete Wrangler transmission and clutch slave cylinder, AA Stainless Steel Clutch Line, new pilot bushing and new throw-out bearing. Actually not too bad, no need for a Conversion kit or special linkage. No labor cost included. I bought the tranny with 5K on it and I have put 5-6K on it. It has received new fluid again this month.

The transfer case was bought with about 45K on it and was used for the new 23 spline input shaft required for the tranny. It received a JB Conversions Heavy Duty Slip-Yoke Eliminator Kit. One of the best kits on the market, it is very beefy. The transfer case leaks fluid very slowly. I check the level every couple months and its right up there but you can see a drop on the bottom of the case after you run it for a while. No big deal. Sitting behind the t-case is a fairly new Tom Woods $300+ Custom C.V. rear drive shaft with 2” DOM tubing. No vibes on the shaft. Lifetime warranty on these I believe from manufacture defect and he will rebuild it, balance it, and ship it back to you for $60 if you ever destroy the tube.

The winch has been used sparingly and is 100%. The ARB IPF 968 lights are phenomenal. They are very bright and are wired into the high-beams. They light up the whole road and onto side-banks. Spotting deer is 10 times easier. There is an on/off too for using the high-beams without them. I have to say the lights, shocks and tachometer were some of the best investments.. An Optima Red Top Battery and a High Output 160A Alternator keep up with the lights and winch. Also has a $250 Alpine CD/MP3 headunit and speakers on the rear hatch (as well as in the front doors). Great to back up next to the campsite, pop open the rear hatch and let the Optima run your tunes overhead for as long as you like..

THIS CHEROKEE IS EXTREMELY CAPABLE. Every time I take it out, with rigs just as big, everyone is just about jaw dropped. Drop the tires down to 10psi and it will CLIMB. Never lost a bead running 10psi with these rims/tires but there is always that spare so you don’t have to worry..

Below is a parts list. I’m sure I’ve missed a few things, especially when it comes to the ‘other parts’ section. Feel free to phone me with any questions about the Jeep, location, pickup/delivery, parts, price etc. My name is Chuck and you can reach me @ 972-533-8540 after 4PM on weekdays or anytime on the weekends. The first set of pictures in the driveway are the most recent.

DRIVETRAIN
4.0L I6 242 with 25K miles
2004 Wrangler Medium Duty NV3550 5-Speed Transmission with 10K miles
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
‘04 Wrangler External Clutch Slave Cylinder
Advance Adapters Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line
NP231 Transfer Case with 2.42:1 Low Range and 50K miles
JB Conversions Heavy Duty Slip-Yoke Eliminator Kit
Tom Woods Custom C.V. Rear Drive Shaft

Jeep Cherokee Dana 44 Rear Axle
· 4.88:1 Yukon Gears
· Detroit Locker

Jeep Cherokee High Pinion Dana 30 Front Axle
· 4.88:1 Reverse Cut Yukon Gears
· Detroit True-Trac Clutchless Limited Slip
· Vacuum Disconnect Eliminator with One-Piece Shaft

STEERING
Rusty’s Offroad Heavy Duty Tie Rod Conversion
Rusty’s Offroad Heavy Duty Adjustable Trac-bar & Frame Mount
Rusty’s Offroad Steering Stabilizer Kit
Rusty’s Offroad Steering Box Brace
Rusty’s Offroad Frame Strengthener Brace
3” Drop Pitman Arm

SUSPENSION
Rusty’s Offroad 8” Long Arm Suspension
· Front 8.5”-9” Lift Coils
· 0.75” Poly Coil Spacers
· Rear 6.5” Leaf Springs
· 1.75” Extended Greasable Shackles

Bilstein 5150 Remote Reservoir Nitrogen Charged Shocks Front & Rear
JKS Bar-Pin Eliminators Front & Rear
JKS Front Upper Shock Mount Conversion
JKS Quicker Disconnects
DayStar Poly Sway Bar Bushings
Rusty’s Offroad 3” Extended Front Bump Stops
Rusty’s Offroad 2.5” Extended Rear Bump Stops
D.P. Offroad Adjustable Bump Stop U-Bolt Plates

WHEELS & TIRES
(5) 36x13.50x15 Super Swamper IROK Radial Tires
15x10 Pro Comp Black Label Rims with Chrome Valve Stems

COOLING
‘92+ Closed Cooling System Conversion
‘98+ Cherokee 12-Blade Electric Fan
3-Core Radiator
High-Flow Thermostat Housing
High-Flow 185* Thermostat
Aluminum Water-Pump

BRAKING
‘94+ Dual Diaphragm Brake Booster
Grand Cherokee (4-wheel disc) Proportioning Valve
Grand Cherokee (4-wheel disc) Master Cylinder
Stainless Steel Brake Corp. Rear Disc Brake Conversion with E-brake
Extended Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines Front & Rear

PERFORMANCE
Safari Snorkel
Jacob’s Ignition & Wires
Dynomax Super-Turbo Aluminized Cat-Back Exhaust
Rusty’s Motor Mounts & Transmission Mount
Optima Red-Top Battery
High Output 160A Alternator

EXTERIOR
Rusty’s Offroad Front Winch Bumper
Ramsey REP8000 Winch with Roller Fairlead
ARB IPF 968 Lights
Custom Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, Tow Hitch, D-Ring Shackles
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Con-Ferr Roof Rack
48” High Lift Jack with Security Rack Mount & Daystar Isolator
Factory Moonroof
Coated Underbody and Fender-wells

INTERIOR
Alpine 52Wx4 CD/MP3 Head Unit
4 5¼” Speakers
2 5/8” 6000RPM Auto-Gauge Mini Tachometer
Compressed Air Unit @ Rear Hatch

OTHER NEW PARTS
Windshield
Rear Axle Wheel Bearings/Seals
Rear Axle Carrier Bearings/Seals
Rear Axle Brake Lines
Front Axle Hubs
Front Axle Carrier Bearings/Seals
All Front Axle Ball Joints
Front Axle U-Joints
Front Brake Pads & Rotors
Rear Brake Pads & Rotors
Resurfaced Flywheel
Pilot Bushing
Throw-out Bearing
Rear Main Seal
Oil Pan Seal
Valve Cover Seal
Spark Plugs
Air Filter
Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
ALL Suspension Bushings
Sway Bar Bushing
All Tie-Rods
Turn Signal Switch
Cooling System Parts
ALLL Fluids
& More

Last edited:
Very nice Jeep, but man it sure looks by your price quote they charge an arm and a leg for axle work in PA.

Nice rig! To bad you have to part with it. You done a good job building it up. IMHO you'll be lucky to get half of what you got into it. If you into offroading it might be cheaper to keep her than start over. Reminds me of my ex!

As for the shock being upside down I don't see it that way. The second pic down from the top of the post clearly shows the shock installed exactly like mine are. Right side up! The last pic is not so clear as you only can see the shock body and not the rod sticking out above.

TheWarWagon said:
That thing got Boyesen Reed Valves in it? A little moto humor for ya. Ridiculously clean jeep.

If you're gonna build a big motor spring the extra cash for the v-force :D

XJCreeper said:
As for the shock being upside down I don't see it that way. The second pic down from the top of the post clearly shows the shock installed exactly like mine are. Right side up! The last pic is not so clear as you only can see the shock body and not the rod sticking out above.

they are bilstein 5150's, regular hydro shocks go piston arm up but bilsteins are a nitro charged reservoir shock they are supposed to be mounted body up so the reservoir is on top

Just wondering how hard it was to sqeeze that safari snorkel over the cutouts. I am in the same boat and want to add the snorkel but was told by a local shop it wouldn't fit as the flares intruded on the space the air intake normally exits for the ARB kit. Really happy to see someone proved them wrong! Where's my catalog?! ha ha ha PA BOYS KNOW HOW TO BUILD SOME JEEPS

Back