• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's 5.3/AW4 swap time for the road racer

You guys are giving me a broner with this. I'm working on a 4.8 swap in another project... more than once I've eyeballed the motor & looked back at my Jeep. Thanks for contributing to the knowledge base on this one!

GM LS/LQ based small blocks = winning! You never know, if everything works out you and the company that produces the LSx > AW4 adapter can make some MONEY! on the idea. That essentially, in theory, simplifies the GM LSx swap into an XJ with an AW4.

\You never know, if everything works out you and the company that produces the LSx > AW4 adapter can make some MONEY! on the idea.
We thought about the possible market while designing the adapter, but I don't think there are a lot of people who would be willing to have to shift their AW4 fully manually (like we do). I don't know if there's a way to get the AW4 TCU to talk to the GM ECM, but I suspect it would be worth more trouble than it's worth. The 4L60/70E is a pretty decent transmission, so for most people the easiest thing to do would be jut swap it in while the motor's being dropped in.

But, we will have the plans if somebody wanted to either do it themselves or buy the adapter from us. Not going to hold my breath. :)

-Matt

I am reasonably certain the AW4 TCU will shift fine by itself (ie without ccd bus to the ECU) as long as you give it the same sensor signals it started with - NSS, OSS, ISS (on 98 and later), brake light switch, and the only possibly problematic one, TPS.

Haven't tested it yet... I may have to give this a quick test when I get home.

The 4.6 32v engine from a lincoln mark VIII has an aluminum block. Usually, when cobra owners build there engines, they use this block since it's a light strong block. The Cobra 4.6 32v engines had a iron block, but the internals were stronger than the lincoln mark VIII engines. So basically, they use the bare lincoln block with the forged internals when they plan to boost it. Lincoln mark VIII's are heavier than the jeep cherokee, even though their engines are pretty light. If they can make a tank of a car haul a$$, even N/A with bolt-ons, a jeep cherokee with this engine would be a rocket. Even though, I'm not sure if you can make it work in a jeep cherokee, unless you get the wiring harness with ECU and make a custom k member. I'm a Ford guy, so I'm a bit biased. :)

Good luck with the 5.3 swap! Can't wait to see the results.

Hate to pull up an old post but n/a mod motors are the biggest waste of time and a 4v is like a mile wide. The 4.6 mod motor is a turd n/a hell even vorteched its still a dog.
Loving the 5.3 swap, LSx is the way to go, throw a used ms4 cam in if from ls1tech for like $300 and you'll be in the 400whp range.

IMG_1633_zps9fb28241.jpg

We thought about the possible market while designing the adapter, but I don't think there are a lot of people who would be willing to have to shift their AW4 fully manually (like we do). I don't know if there's a way to get the AW4 TCU to talk to the GM ECM, but I suspect it would be worth more trouble than it's worth. The 4L60/70E is a pretty decent transmission, so for most people the easiest thing to do would be jut swap it in while the motor's being dropped in.

But, we will have the plans if somebody wanted to either do it themselves or buy the adapter from us. Not going to hold my breath. :)

-Matt
I have no issues manually shifting an auto trans. Drove a mustang with a full manual trans brake C4 to work for a few yrs. Some people dont get pressing a button use reverse. LOL
Im watching this. Id like to have a LS juan in my xj.

I have no issues manually shifting an auto trans. Drove a Mustang with a full manual trans brake C4 to work for a few years. Some people don't get pressing a button to use reverse. LOL I'm watching this; I'd like to have an LS Juan in my XJ.
Good to know, because you're not the first person to express interest. We'll keep all the data and can replicate as needed.

-Matt

Fun fact: GM LS4 will bolt up to the stock Jeep AW4 transmission using a Isuzu Rodeo 3.2/3.5 bellhousing which has the GM 60 degree pattern the LS4 uses. Other 60 degree engine options are a supercharged 3800, Aurora V8, or Northstar. Just wanted to mention this for anyone following along looking for more options.

Can't wait to see this thing running.

Fun fact: GM LS4 will bolt up to the stock Jeep AW4 transmission using a Isuzu Rodeo 3.2/3.5 bellhousing which has the GM 60 degree pattern the LS4 uses. Other 60 degree engine options are a supercharged 3800, Aurora V8, or Northstar. Just wanted to mention this for anyone following along looking for more options.

Can't wait to see this thing running.
i thought it was the same thing with the jeep 2.8 and 2.5l aw4 bellhousings?

Other 60 degree engine options are a supercharged 3800, Aurora V8, or Northstar. Just wanted to mention this for anyone following along looking for more options.
I imagine the LS4 could be made to work, but would a Northstar or Shortstar fit width-wise? In any event, good info about the 60 degree/Isuzu connection, never thought to look at the sideways engine options.

-M

I'd be interested in a copy of your drawing for the adapter plate, if you have one (I'm trying to collect bell pattern data.)

I'd have said to keep the 4L60 - or find a 4L80 or 6L80 - but I saw the bit on the rules, so bum. The AW4 should hold up to the 5.3, I think the big problem is just going to be adapting it (bellhousing adapter plate and flexplate mods, mainly.)

Back