• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

internation scout axles

supercaution2000

NAXJA Forum User
ok so my friend has about 4 scouts just sitting around at his house that i can take parts from axles included, im aware thet atleast some of them have 44s but i dont know what geers and if its the front or rear, or even both, i would love some help on this question as to what kind of axles and what years have them and the gears, and possibly any other good stuff that scouts have

scout II axles are all dana 44s front and rear as far as i know, or at least the vast majority of them are.

the rear can be a good swap, but it is a couple inches narrower and has a larger 5 lug bolt pattern than your current axles, 5 on 5.5, both of which could be made up for by using spacer/adapters

also, it has a slightly offsett diff, only a couple inches, which some people see as a negative, but i like it for the fact that this makes both axleshafts the same length, so its only neccesary to carry one spare

fronts are a different story, they are good axles, the cj crowd loves them, but they are passenger drop, so without a lot of work are not much good for your xj

awspence said:
scout II axles are all dana 44s front and rear as far as i know, or at least the vast majority of them are.

the rear can be a good swap, but it is a couple inches narrower and has a larger 5 lug bolt pattern than your current axles, 5 on 5.5, both of which could be made up for by using spacer/adapters

also, it has a slightly offsett diff, only a couple inches, which some people see as a negative, but i like it for the fact that this makes both axleshafts the same length, so its only neccesary to carry one spare

fronts are a different story, they are good axles, the cj crowd loves them, but they are passenger drop, so without a lot of work are not much good for your xj

All true -- I ran a rear for a couple of years in my XJ before the 30 year old stock track-lok exploded. I did have minor vibes at highway speed from the offset, but nothing that really got your attention. The only other problem with the fronts not mentioned is that they have 0 caster until 1978, so the steering response sucks. The t-cases in those rigs will be either D20's or D300s. If one has a D300 and D44s (early scouts will have a D30 front), you could pick up the package and do a swap (turn those front knuckles though). Gearing will be either 3.54, 3.73 or 4.10. If it is 3.72 or 4.10 it will likely be with a tracklok, but from my experience stay the hell away from these older track-lok units -- you should see the quality (or lack) of the metal used in these things (it was painfully obvious when the carrier split in two...). Not only did I blow mine up, but a buddy did exactly the same in his binder a couple of years before...

thanks for the help guys and sorry for being a newb but how will i know what geers the axles have and are dana 300 t cases better then a stock one to my 87 xj, and what do track lok units do

supercaution2000 said:
thanks for the help guys and sorry for being a newb but how will i know what geers the axles have and are dana 300 t cases better then a stock one to my 87 xj, and what do track lok units do

Track-loks are limited slip differential units -- traction control, but not a locker. The axles may have a tab on them indicating the gear ratio (i.e 41 11 = 3.73). D300s are solid gear driven cases, but are passenger side drop (as is a front scout axle), so won't work in an XJ unless you buy an expensive flip kit or are running a pass. drop axle -- not necessarily better than the stock NP231 for most applications...

yeah i looked at them today and it confused me a bit to see the dif on the wrong side, so cancleing out the fronts i have 3 working d44 im just not sure if its worth it to get one for free and by new geers, or just buy a front and rear 44 off a old grand waggy for about 90 bucks each, and that brings up another thing, what geers do old waggys have?

Back