• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interest in a Renix Reader?

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I have cracked encoding of the output data stream on the Renix ECUs. I have been thinking of building a Raspberry Pi based reader with a 3.5" color touch screen device you could mount in the cab. You could then display any of the readings. For instance you could show an analog type tach display, or any of the other available data in real time and switch back and forth. You could even set alarms that would flash the screen colors for things such as an O2 that is out of range. It could even show you if the ECU was in open or closed loop mode.

Before I spend a ton of time polishing the user interface, are there any people out there who might be interested. My hope is to keep it well under $100.

A follow on product would have a 7" touch screen and have GPS and moving topo map display.

Sounds interesting! A pipe dream would be to have it compatible with most any tablet. :)

It can be done, but it gets a bit more complicated. My approach is a standalone controller with touch screen display. You could either hard mount it or use it hand held. I could most likely configure it so you could access it through your tablet, but why?

I have a hand-me-down 7" tablet from Junior. It runs "Ice Cream Sandwich," It has a GPS, can download assorted maps, and record video, for now...

I have been making a dash mount bracket for this tablet. Once I drill holes in the dash, they cannot be un-drilled. It seems the tablet & software can be replaced, easily enough...

My simple mind seeks adaptability, over dedicated hardware and software.

My approach is a standalone controller with touch screen display. You could either hard mount it or use it hand held.
I could do a hand held for "well under $100."

I did similar with my 06 Harley using my arduino board. Wrote all the interpretation code to be stored on the arduino board to be accessed in a human readable format so anyone with the spec could put a UI on top of it. Added a GPS receiver so I could get velocity, altitude and coordinates realtime so I could plot the data and also integrate with mapping software. Had a win10 tablet lying around so I did the UI there and used the mapping api from MSDN to give me routes and show my location on the screen.
Was a fun project but when we were finally selected for adoptive parents, I killed the project. There are enough commercial products out there that do about 80% of what I want it wasn't a big deal and not enough people were interested to keep it going. Something to think about if you have reservations about spending gobs of time on something that may never get used publicly.

I would be very interested in such a device. Keep us apprised. As you know a Renix scanner is very expensive when you can find one so this would be a God send.

What's the BUS type for the renix systems? There are a bunch of arduino/pi/atiny open source projects out there that already do this that you may be able to leverage for the gauge clusters and data displays.

I am using a compiler and LabVIEW to generate native code. No problem with generating nice user interfaces. I do this type of stuff for a living and have 20+ years experience with LabVIEW.

You have my attention ... And quite possibly my money.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Ooooh what kind of data have you managed to get identified?

Also you might want to check out this micropc to reduce cost vs raspberry they are shipping out right now despite saying preorder. Just check with them on turn around time.

https://www.getchip.com/pages/chip

Back