• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interest for a drop-in headlight wiring harness upgrade

If you use stranded wire, the right size connectors for the wire, and the right position on the crimping tool you shouldn't have any problems. I haven't used solder simply because I've never needed to. I've had crimp connections for my trailer lights that have been tie-wrapped to the back bumper above the hitch for over 5 years and never had a problem with them. My entire "Fitchbox" is just crimped and I've haven't had any problems with it either. It's only been in about 4 months though.

From working 10+ years as a marine mechanic/electrican, I prefer crimp joints. Yea, solder joints has got it's advantages especially in regards to ill fitting wire and connectors and or poor quality tools;... ie, solder can fill the space between a connector and the wire that a crimper cannot crimp tight enough.

A good quality crimper not the $1.50 brand, good connectors and tight fitting multi-stranded wires properly assembled;...I have yet to see one pulled out.
Heat shrink is good although for the average auto it has more value in asthetics than in a practical application. It keeps water and moisture out.

I have crimped every wire size from a 24 AWG to the massive 4/0 AWG used on marine 1000 HP diesel and have never had a problem. I have seen other marine electricans solder all their joints. That is a very good practice and time consuming. No matter you choice for keeping the wires together, the long term results will be keeping water out. A good polyolefin (did I spell that correct?) base heat shrink is your best friend.

On my XJ, all my joints are crimped but only about 10% have heat shrink.

And now to answer the original post. I have long wanted to upgrade the headlamp wire harness but I am too lazy to build it myself. ( I will read through all the posts then get back to you) Yes, I need one.

Speaking of large gauge wires lol. what kind of crimper did you use for the 4/0? I used to work at a welding/fab shop and to crimp the stinger and ground cables we had this HUGE vice-like device that you had to hit with a nice sized sledge. One whack and it held tight as a glove. That was only 2/0 though.

Speaking of large gauge wires lol. what kind of crimper did you use for the 4/0? I used to work at a welding/fab shop and to crimp the stinger and ground cables we had this HUGE vice-like device that you had to hit with a nice sized sledge. One whack and it held tight as a glove. That was only 2/0 though.

In the shop there is a hydralic crimper. The portable one uses 110 volts AC. It is somewhat like midsize hammer drill except it do not have a chuck. Instead it have a special head and latch that hold the replaceable dies. When the triggeer is squeezed, the dies come together to make the crimp.

Those aren't for sale, per se- that's just one of several write-ups on how to make one. They are mostly the same- you use the stock wiring to switch relays that are wired to the lights and the battery.

Have any of the people offering to sell bothered to do as told and make a thread in their chapter/national for sale forums? Because honestly, member or not, I wouldn't really feel like buying from someone who can't follow the simple rules.

P.S. I also plan on waiting for 5-90 if he gets his up and going because I know his reputation and he's practically a freakin genius! ;) So I guess my opinion goes out the window...

Have any of the people offering to sell bothered to do as told and make a thread in their chapter/national for sale forums? Because honestly, member or not, I wouldn't really feel like buying from someone who can't follow the simple rules.

P.S. I also plan on waiting for 5-90 if he gets his up and going because I know his reputation and he's practically a freakin genius! ;) So I guess my opinion goes out the window...

No, and I'm wondering how well that's going to go over with certain folks.

I want one !
Just had a headlight go out tonight... bought H4 upgrades but who knows - maybe the wiring is next! Time to upgrade!

Back