• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interest for a drop-in headlight wiring harness upgrade

I already checked with 5-90 and he told me I was welcome to sell this, and that a little competition was healthy. He's also still working on the prototype.

If your product is as good and as simple to install as the one Big Off Road sales it will be a good product. I have had BOR installed for over 2 years and love it.

mac

I already checked with 5-90 and he told me I was welcome to sell this, and that a little competition was healthy. He's also still working on the prototype.
I didn't know FitchVA was making these, but I tried to make sure I asked the major people. The only fog light "glitch" I'm aware of is that they might not turn off when you turn your high beams on.

I would be interested too!!

I'll buy a set, preferably once you become a sponsor

The only problem with Big Offroad is that several people are having difficulty finding out exactly what guage wire and what relays are used in his set. His site only shows a picture w/o description. I know that 5-90 was working a kit as well.
I like to see specifics and a few pictures so I know exactly what I am buying. If you become a member or sponsor, put me on the list and let me know when it is in production.

This isn't going to be a big enough operation for me to become a sponsor, but I am becoming a member ASAP. I wasn't expecting to have this many people interested, but sit tight and I'll get everyone taken care of.

The only problem with Big Offroad is that several people are having difficulty finding out exactly what guage wire and what relays are used in his set. His site only shows a picture w/o description. I know that 5-90 was working a kit as well.
I like to see specifics and a few pictures so I know exactly what I am buying. If you become a member or sponsor, put me on the list and let me know when it is in production.

I got an email from Troy at BOR to the effect that he'd check with their supplier and let me know what gauge they use, but it will be some time yet (he's in Moab for the week). There are folks on here using the harness, and I was hoping one of them would chime in.

I was a little annoyed that he wouldn't give me any specifics, but since he's agreed to, I wanted to post that.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping that someone that was running a set would give more details as well. Macs97XJ says he's happy with it and I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about the Big Offroad kit so that carries some weight.

If you get any more info, please post as I will be keeping an eye out.
Thanks

I don't know about the BOR kit, but mine uses 10 GA wire, a 40 amp relay for the low beams and a 40 amp relay for the high beams. Everything's crimped and heatshrunk, and I can make it completely watertight if need be.

Hmmm, fogs would be tough because my Jeep doesn't have fogs. If I can find someone who'll let me tinker with theirs I will though.

By crimped and heatshrunk, you mean soldered as well right? :)
In my experience I've found that soldered joints don't last as long as crimped joints. Granted, in an XJ it won't make a difference, but I've found soldered joints deteriorating when crimped joints showed no wear. If someone wants soldered joints I can do it, but I prefer straight crimping.

In my experience I've found that soldered joints don't last as long as crimped joints. Granted, in an XJ it won't make a difference, but I've found soldered joints deteriorating when crimped joints showed no wear. If someone wants soldered joints I can do it, but I prefer straight crimping.

How can you say straight crimping is stronger than solder? I'm an electronics tech by profession and have seen many wires get pulled from a crimp connection with ease and only way soldered ones would come out is if the wire was physically broken. And just so it's out there for everyone to know I'm planning on doing the same thing but right now I'm researching the fog light and daytime running light issue these harnesses have to find a fix for that.

Back