• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

I have nothing. Steering column is locked and have no key for this xj. Just looking to see if there is a way I can see it will run before I pull it all apart

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I have nothing. Steering column is locked and have no key for this xj. Just looking to see if there is a way I can see it will run before I pull it all apart

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

you can pull the lock cylinder without a key. Then you can just turn the ignition module that's behind it.

it's an interesting and fun adventure.
I did it in a parking lot on a 96.

otherwise, what cheezy said, if you don't care about salvaging the column.

Do a search for me asking for push button start all the wires are called out and what you need to do on a 98

you cant pull the cylinder without a key on a 97+ xj or grand...at least no way that i found in 4 days of trying. you can try any old jeep key you have in the similar year range and bumping the key with a hammer to see if you can get the cylinder to turn but its not likely going to work...easiest thing to do is to start with a medium drill bit and drill out the lock one step at at time. took me about 5 minutes to do the one on the wj before it would come out. you just have to be careful how deep you go. The metal isn't very hard, so it comes out easily.

I have yet to meet someone who has successfully gotten an igntion lock cylinder out of a 97+ without drilling it...

that being said...i made a key for my 98 that worked and it wasn't even close to the original. you could get lucky.

or you can also cut the wires and make it a push button...removing the cylinder was faster than taking the column apart

Just bought a ZJ.

2a7fab63a08ea5e2981c5afbc71b1a13.jpg

Going to be my DD.

Holy shit, too much seafood n beer. I'm afraid if I cough I'll shit myslef... again.

Back