• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

242 is the bomb. Jennies stayed in 4 full time for 5 months straight. it even behaved itself with rear locker.

Seriously considering putting the extra 242 in the Mj behind AX-15. Cause awesome.

Buy my 2002 F 250.
It is the 7,3 anyone who tells you the 7.3 is junk is retarded. I will make you a heck of a deal.

Ive thought about it. it would have to be a retarded deal though, you can get what you're asking all day long.

i know the 7.3's are not junk. these guys are weird one lost his ass on a shit box 7.3 and they both damned them in their minds. they both drive 6.0's, everything they talk about is 6.0 related, they want to mod their 6.0's and they spend shit loads of money trying to keep their 6.0's alive. if they had the chance they would probably S the D of the 6.0 inventor.

A nice truck just rolled in on trade here. im gonna drive it home and show the ole lady tonight.

Lots of thoughts on 1st bike size.
I started small and worked up, which was the DOT train of thought at the time (We used to have M licenses rated by CC brackets.).
What size was used in the class?

Bikes are meant to be bought and sold, so don't worry about buying a "Starter Bike", and selling it later. As long as you don't abuse the snot out of it, there will be a market. A 250-500 makes a nice starter bike as it gets you out there and has enough power to do hwy speeds if you want.
A 750 with an inline 4 and shaft drive makes a nice low maintenance cruiser bike. High vs Low CG is a preference thing and you'll have to ride a few bikes to determine your preference.

Get used to the experience and feel of the bike. Put on lots of miles. Wear appropriate clothing. Shorts and flipflops make for a bad experience if you have to lay it down; I have seen the results and they are not pretty.
I don't care what your State laws are, wear a brain bucket, and if it doesnt have a face shield, glasses or googles :)

-Ron
The bikes we were learning on were 125's and 250's. Don't think I want something that small.

Oh believe me they absolutely push protective gear. Many of the instructors have had some kind of incident that pushes them to encourage us to wear bright colors on the gear.

I plan on riding quite a few bikes from different companies to see which I feel more comfortable on. Seeing as I'm not in a hurry to get one.

Why would you want to keep the 249?

Get a 242 out of a 98/99 XJ.

Direct, bolt in swap, no modifications except a slight adjustment to the tcase linkage...and I mean slight. You can even pull the VIC out and swap a wire so that it reads the correct position on the tcase.

2wd for the pavement, 4 full time for the snow/even rain, 4 high for the fun stuff, neutral and 4lo for the rocks.

I would do it again on her 5.9 in a heart beat. The hardest part was pulling the tcase at the junk yard by myself.

Key here is 98/99 XJ case, I suppose a 242 96-98 ZJ case would work, but those babies are rare.

Bring the case over some weekend that we can make work with some whiskey and I'll help you do it.

mac 'i'll do it again if I ever have another 5.9' gyvr

Is the 96 XJ 242 different than the 98/99? I was planning on putting a 242 in Heidi's 5.9 and have a great line on a 96. I thought they were all the same after 95?

I think they changed with the gauge cluster.

come end of this month I'll have a 01 242 to swap with your 96 one if that makes it mo better. I need the early fixed shaft one for the truck so I can stuff in the speedo cable.

According to Ken our resident swapologist, it'll work in a grand, Jason.

According to Ken our resident swapologist, it'll work in a grand, Jason.

slow down there... it'll work in an XJ for sure.

I can't guarantee jack shit about fitment behind ZJ autos, especially early builds. People do it though, so it has to work somehow, but read up on it before tearing a DD'd ZJ apart on my advise, basically.

Some weirdo early ZJs with like a goofy A500se tranny or something (I don't remember, I just know it made my life hell one evening in early 2012) have a strange pilot tip on the output shaft of the trans that slots into a special bushing in the input gear of the tcase. And IIRC some ZJs require a mid-length input gear. I don't know the specifics, even Novak's page is pretty fuzzy on it and when they talked to a New Venture Gear tech about it he said it was frickin retarded and that they were trying to cut down on the variation in input gear types because it was too confusing.

Well.... my fuel pump is sick but I guess pressure isn't my problem.
ryvy9u5u.jpg

I figured something in the tailhousing might be different.

right now it has the ax-15 and tcase from a 96. Fixed output shaft, but it's 231.

I need a 242 that works behind a 46RE...

well I have some experience with this.

it's gonna depend on what shaft your trans had. As ken alluded to some had a wierd pilot shaft. I can say with certainty that you cannot put one of those on an Aw4.

not sure how it would go the other way, but it wouldn't be right. Can you take the input gear out of your 249 and put it in 242?

the planets and such may very well be the same. Worst case you figure oput which one you need and then order a brandy new input gear for 242.

Yes you can swap the input gears out of your 249 and put it into a 242. Only thing you have to watch out for is the gear cut change in 1995. Find a 242 from a Jeep after 96 and swap inputs and you will be good to go. Was gonna go that route on my last zj before I sold it

Starting to look for a new trailer. Stepping up to a 10 or 14K 20ft 102"w. Debating on ether a PJ B6 or sticking with H&H and getting the 8.5HD extrawide(102"w). Both are drive over fenders and 8Lug, same axles and priced similarly. I've heard good and bad about both company's quality the last few years.

AND I still have no word on what the Insurance will do.

Back