• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Re: Re: Important

lol.

even meticulously maintained ones seem to be ticking time bombs.
This.

Jeds friend has the cab off of his at least twice a year.

PowerstrokeHelp in GA does a bulletproof for like 10k with a lifetime (or 100k? Don't remember) warranty on the engine. If I bought one and had money laying around that's what I would do.

Does anybody know if there is a way to check to see if a np249 t-case is good without it being in the vehicle? Ours in our zj is shot and we are wanting to replace it with another one but want to make sure we get one that isn't toasted. I know we can swap in a 242 t-case and be done but we would like to keep it the 249 t-case.

Studs, head gaskets, egr delete. And enjoy.

This.

a couple guys at work are 6.0 freaks. they tell me the 7.3 is junk, and a 5.4 cant tow my jeep. i want a F250 but i don't think i need a diesel, i wont be towing to often. the more i look though the more i start liking the sound of the turbo...

Studs arent the cure all. I'm not sure what Phil has done to his truck but he has blown head gaskets even with studs.

The VGT turbo does sound awesome though.

7.3 is junk? Are these people ****ing retarded? They're not powerful, but they're far from junk.

Sounds like a good deal!

Studs, head gaskets, egr delete. And enjoy.

Sexiest sounding diesel there is!

You will have to do injectors, not if, when.

You don't need studs unless you want big power and a big power program. My truck has egr and my eot/ect differential is 11 degrees with 126k miles on it. If you change the coolant early to the MDT red, you won't gum up the cooler. Most shops will recommend replacing the cooler rather than deleting it.

FICM's go bad, be prepared for that if it hasn't been replaced. Early models ('03/'04) do have potential cylinder head issues and the HPOP lines will leak and leave you stranded. Those are big ticket ($1000+) repairs if not done under warranty.

When it works, it works well. Honestly, with mine sitting in the driveway needing injector(s), I would have done it all over again. It does what it was designed to do very well. It's comfortable, it's made 2 trips to Moab and plenty of other places towing the jeep and it gets pretty good mileage. But you have to be prepared for what if, even if you do all the things you're supposed to like I did.

So the cab has to come off to do gaskets and studs? Dang...

You can do the work with it in the engine compartment, but it will suck. The truck is designed to come apart like that. 6 bolts, radiator stuff, power steering stuff and other little things and the whole cab comes off the frame to give you access to the engine.

I've heard people say they can do heads in 10 hours if they've done it a few times.

Diesel is the same as gas for ~6 months out of the year, I'd much rather go that route to know that my truck won't struggle at all towing what I would tow with it. Besides Jason, the old Dodge needs to be put to pasture!

Flexd'dad won't give me the Cummins'XJ

They are starting to see problems with front cover erosion now too.
Must be a pretty damn powerful water pump.

Not sure if keeping up on DCA/SCA maintenance helps or not (actually I'm not sure if these trucks even require DCA/SCA)

Diesel is the same as gas for ~6 months out of the year, I'd much rather go that route to know that my truck won't struggle at all towing what I would tow with it. Besides Jason, the old Dodge needs to be put to pasture!

Flexd'dad won't give me the Cummins'XJ

Yep. The old dodge is the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat in. Plus it's a high mileage rust bucket. It's done me well and does what I need it to do though.

This.

a couple guys at work are 6.0 freaks. they tell me the 7.3 is junk, and a 5.4 cant tow my jeep. i want a F250 but i don't think i need a diesel, i wont be towing to often. the more i look though the more i start liking the sound of the turbo...

v10.

They are starting to see problems with front cover erosion now too.
Must be a pretty damn powerful water pump.

Not sure if keeping up on DCA/SCA maintenance helps or not (actually I'm not sure if these trucks even require DCA/SCA)

cause ford went stupid and used terrible coolant that navistar told them sucked.

Speaking of diesels, I really need to fix my air intrusion problem. Didn't have any issues before the turbo buy I had to reroute the return lines.

2014-06-09%2011.52.31_zps80uiee25.jpg

that's a big prop.

Re: Re: Important

This.

Buy my 2002 F 250.
It is the 7,3 anyone who tells you the 7.3 is junk is retarded. I will make you a heck of a deal.

Does anybody know if there is a way to check to see if a np249 t-case is good without it being in the vehicle? Ours in our zj is shot and we are wanting to replace it with another one but want to make sure we get one that isn't toasted. I know we can swap in a 242 t-case and be done but we would like to keep it the 249 t-case.

Why would you want to keep the 249?

Get a 242 out of a 98/99 XJ.

Direct, bolt in swap, no modifications except a slight adjustment to the tcase linkage...and I mean slight. You can even pull the VIC out and swap a wire so that it reads the correct position on the tcase.

2wd for the pavement, 4 full time for the snow/even rain, 4 high for the fun stuff, neutral and 4lo for the rocks.

I would do it again on her 5.9 in a heart beat. The hardest part was pulling the tcase at the junk yard by myself.

Key here is 98/99 XJ case, I suppose a 242 96-98 ZJ case would work, but those babies are rare.

Bring the case over some weekend that we can make work with some whiskey and I'll help you do it.

mac 'i'll do it again if I ever have another 5.9' gyvr

We have a spare 2000 XJ 242 t-case sitting at home. Suzi likes driving the grand during the winter and she really liked the way it handled the nasty weather with the awd and not having to pick which 4wd she needed to be in. I have looked around a little bit for used 249 but i think most of them are getting sold because they are bad. Would hate to swap a bad one with another bad one.

Will have to take you up on that offer for the help Matt. Last one i did in the xj landed square on my chest. Not a good feeling.

I am not positive that the 2000 case is a direct swap. There maybe different connections on it. The nice thing about the 242 is that you can put it in 4 auto and leave it there all winter if you'd like, just like the 249. That's what we did with the 5.9, so grace didn't have to pick and choose.

My buddy chuck helped me pull the 249 out of the 5.9 and put the 242 back in.

mac 'all 249s are junk :)' gyvr

Back