• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

My office. Or bedroom. Not happy about the hours. A man with less patients would quit.

e9asyvu8.jpg

murusyva.jpg

Didn't sleep worth a shit, neighbors lesbian 35 year old daughter that still lives at home had band practice all night.

Need to have a talk with her dad, again. He doesn't want me to make their lives Hell, but I will.

I hope you write me messages on the ones coming to the fort.

mac 'HI' gyvr

suck it up buttercup

15.5 hours down...9.5 hours to go...

mac '25 hours of work' gyvr

Just finished up a motorcycle BRC(basic rider course) given by ABATE at the local Government center near me. If you pass then you get your Motorcycle endorsement on your license. I never had any experience with them until this weekend. Sure I've ridden a few scooters but never anything over 50cc. It was a long weekend and am glad to have passed the class. I have so much confidence to be able to handle one now.

There were even guys/gals who have been riding for yeeeeears and they were having difficulty maneuvering in some of the exercises. Those same folks say they had learned on their own and wish they had taken the class if it was available when the first started out.

Initially before the class I thought I wanted a full bagger Harley to cruise on. After the class I feel that maybe I should start out with a Sportster, Night-train or Deuce for a first bike. I feel I need something easier to handle.

Anyone that has experience I would like to hear what your opinions are on what you would have done same or differently when you first started riding.

My first motorcycle was a sporty. My bike now is a road king. There's no real difference in the skills required or the way the bike reacts to how to drive it. There are obvious considerations because of the weight, but I've seen guys on gold wings run through the basic and experienced course like they were riding a 250.

If you're comfortable in applying the basic skills in manipulating the bike, it won't take long for you to be comfortable on a dresser. They all have two wheels and a handlebar. I wish I would have gotten a bigger bike to start off with, because now I have one in the garage I don't ride.

We saw a guy on a Gold Wing with training wheels Saturday.
He was driving 35 MPH in the center of the road.
Whenever an oncoming vehicle approached he pulled way to the right and stopped.
This was on a busy state highway.
When we finally got to pass him I asked him if he would like a ride home because he was going to kill someone the way he was driving.
God have mercy on that guy!

My first bike

Likely my last.

Bought cheap when I didn't know if I'd enjoy a bike.

Sold cheap when I realized that I didn't have time to ride it and I was better on four than two.

mac 'man there's a lot of throw back in that photo' gyvr

I have taken a similar class and I have ridden five different bikes (borrowed or dealer demos), something I found out is Harley's are a lot more top heavy then most bikes. Sitting on a sporty versus a full bagger victory, the victory is a lot more balanced though they weigh the same. When I get a bike (new), I will buy a victory, they ride better.

I have taken a similar class and I have ridden five different bikes (borrowed or dealer demos), something I found out is Harley's are a lot more top heavy then most bikes. Sitting on a sporty versus a full bagger victory, the victory is a lot more balanced though they weigh the same. When I get a bike (new), I will buy a victory, they ride better.

Did you really just compare a sportster to a victory dresser? Methinks you might want to bow out of this one.

I am pretty sure he should just bow out period but what do I know.

looking for some suggestions for the more seasoned folks on here as i get ready to rebuild things on the crash bandicoot (possible new nickname for my jeep since it is now survived 5 accidents...only one sort of caused by me). here is what i'm still looking for:

long arms...but i think either hobag or rock krawler are going to be my route of choice

wj knuckle swap steering parts...make my own or is there a good option thats not stupid expensive?

rear seats...i want to be able to fit 2 passengers in the back, but i don't want to put the full xj seat in

most of the other things i have or know what i want to buy...i'm going to fix the rear main on the mj and re do the vacuum and a few parts of the wiring. then i will drive the mj and the wj all summer/fall while i work on the xj. hopefully the xj will be mostly finished by the time the snow flies so i can park the mj and get to work on doing everything i need to it...

we shall see :)

WJ knuckle swap parts...
stock calipers, caliper brackets, knuckles
JKS unit bearing spacer plates
WJ lower balljoints, WJ/XJ upper balljoints (they are the same part, which is why you'll see a million people insisting you need one or the other without any idea why the other person is right too)
99.5+ d30 unit bearings (some people will say certain years of TJ unit bearings and likewise will insist that they have to be TJ ones. Same story, they're the same freakin part, it's the year split that matters.)
Rotors: either explorer sportrac (iirc) or WJ ones redrilled. Depending on which route you go, you have to use spacers in certain spots to make them line up with the caliper bracket. I'd go with WJ rotors redrilled, iirc the center bore on them is the same as XJ ones so they are effectively hub centric not lug centric and getting the lug holes a little off won't hurt anything.

Steering and track bar...
WJ axles are wider so you can't just run the stock WJ rod.
IIRC the taper is the same on the TRE studs (verify this before installing!) so you can just use XJ steering and ignore the high steer arm, but that negates half the reason to go WJ.
If you are considering upgrading steering I would go with 1 ton or heim steering, you're going to have to fabricate it either way so just make it to fit.

Remember you'll have to relocate your track bar mount and adjust track bar length to avoid wonky bumpsteer issues when using the high steer arm on the WJ knuckle.

As usual our parts stores suck so I'm making my own fuel pressure gauge with a 100 psi gauge and hydraulic line/fittings. The 91-95 fuel rail port looks like -4 JIC?

I will have another bike soon. I want a fuel injected six speed glide or maybe even a street bob.

I was going to buy a sporty 1200 last month but that would have cut into crawl cash.

Something tells me I'll be buying a 04 (I think) F350 king ranch after crawl instead though.

Re: Re: Important

well since it took you three or four times to make a winterfest i wondered if you'd make the crawl on your first try.

its going to be a blast!

mac ':flipoff2:' gyvr

Hahahahaha! That is a very true statement.

I will have another bike soon. I want a fuel injected six speed glide or maybe even a street bob.

I was going to buy a sporty 1200 last month but that would have cut into crawl cash.

Something tells me I'll be buying a 04 (I think) F350 king ranch after crawl instead though.

6.0??!!!

That's one of my dream trucks. What color. I was looking on the local MS CL and found a sweet 04 ccsb king ranch all deleted with new injector with 133k miles 4x4 for 14k obo.

the value of the 6.0 has gone up with the age of the 7.3s and their rusting away...

mac '6.0h no' gyvr

Just finished up a motorcycle BRC(basic rider course) given by ABATE at the local Government center near me. If you pass then you get your Motorcycle endorsement on your license. I never had any experience with them until this weekend. Sure I've ridden a few scooters but never anything over 50cc. It was a long weekend and am glad to have passed the class. I have so much confidence to be able to handle one now.

There were even guys/gals who have been riding for yeeeeears and they were having difficulty maneuvering in some of the exercises. Those same folks say they had learned on their own and wish they had taken the class if it was available when the first started out.

Initially before the class I thought I wanted a full bagger Harley to cruise on. After the class I feel that maybe I should start out with a Sportster, Night-train or Deuce for a first bike. I feel I need something easier to handle.

Anyone that has experience I would like to hear what your opinions are on what you would have done same or differently when you first started riding.

Lots of thoughts on 1st bike size.
I started small and worked up, which was the DOT train of thought at the time (We used to have M licenses rated by CC brackets.).
What size was used in the class?

Bikes are meant to be bought and sold, so don't worry about buying a "Starter Bike", and selling it later. As long as you don't abuse the snot out of it, there will be a market. A 250-500 makes a nice starter bike as it gets you out there and has enough power to do hwy speeds if you want.
A 750 with an inline 4 and shaft drive makes a nice low maintenance cruiser bike. High vs Low CG is a preference thing and you'll have to ride a few bikes to determine your preference.

Get used to the experience and feel of the bike. Put on lots of miles. Wear appropriate clothing. Shorts and flipflops make for a bad experience if you have to lay it down; I have seen the results and they are not pretty.
I don't care what your State laws are, wear a brain bucket, and if it doesnt have a face shield, glasses or googles :)

-Ron

It's the maroon and tan two tone. I think it is a 6.0. 34,xxx miles.
If I can get a loan I'll be getting it super cheap. A elderly family member just found out he has some pretty serious health issues and needs it gone so his wife (who also has health issues) isn't stuck with it

Back