• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Any of you heard of ENGO winches? Apparently they are pretty damn good and pretty damn cheap. I am thinking of trying one out.

FWIW i held out and waited for the m8000 to go on sale..... picked it up for 400 shipped from 4wp

short"go warn or go home"xjdoug

Couldn't say it any better, if you constantly need a winch, you are putting your self in conditions your rig was not built to do, period. That being said I have one on my CJ and never used it.

very rarely have i used our winch but the one time i did it was to dead pull a full body jeep up a hill, you never know what youll need it for and ive had other winches fail at very inopportune moments.... if you want to stay cheap ive seen the smittybilts worked hard and keep kicking...but then i did get my m8000 for four bills

FWIW i held out and waited for the m8000 to go on sale..... picked it up for 400 shipped from 4wp

The warn doesn't come with synthetic rope for $450.

There are things to skimp on, on a rig. The winch is not one of them.

I know that, been looking around and the JK guys(the ones who actually wheel) like them a lot. They also came in a close second to Warn in a Four Wheeler winch shootout.

Like Michael said, i will hardly ever use it. It will be on the jeep during winter months and some trail rides. Other than that it'll sit in my garage. You guys know i'm not about buying stuff that will fail on me very easily. I haven't found anything bad about them yet and a guy I know said one saved his butt and probably some bad damage to his JK.

Last edited:
I know that, been looking around and the JK guys(the ones who actually wheel) like them a lot. They also came in a close second to Warn in a Four Wheeler winch shootout.

Like Michael said, i will hardly ever use it. It will be on the jeep during winter months and some trail rides. Other than that it'll sit in my garage. You guys know i'm not about buying stuff that will fail on me very easily. I haven't found anything bad about them yet and a guy I know said one saved his butt and probably some bad damage to his JK.
I could find better things to spend $450 on Aaron, like a gun, lol. or a really nice hooker

I could find better things to spend $450 on Aaron, like a gun, lol. or a really nice hooker

Haha, I could use an AR and well a umm......nevermind! :D I'm gonna buy one and if I come across an M8000 for that cheap i'll probably buy it. I just want the added assurance of a winch for winter use and use down at our family farm in the woods.

Which winch are you looking at? I checked their site and some of their winches are series wound and others are permanent magnet. I just dragged my Harbor Freight 8000# winch out of the shed, it had quit working a long time ago. Solenoids checked out fine so I pulled the motor apart, one of the magnets had come unglued, bound up in the housing and broke apart. So now I know the next winch I buy will definitely be series wound.

For the next one I will probably get a cheaper model just to offset the cost of buying synthetic cable. No steel cable for me if I can avoid it.

Edit: moot point, all of the ENGO >8000# winches appear to be series wound.

Which winch are you looking at? I checked their site and some of their winches are series wound and others are permanent magnet. I just dragged my Harbor Freight 8000# winch out of the shed, it had quit working a long time ago. Solenoids checked out fine so I pulled the motor apart, one of the magnets had come unglued, bound up in the housing and broke apart. So now I know the next winch I buy will definitely be series wound.

For the next one I will probably get a cheaper model just to offset the cost of buying synthetic cable. No steel cable for me if I can avoid it.

Edit: moot point, all of the ENGO >8000# winches appear to be series wound.

I was looking at the E9000 model didn't see if it was series wound or not. After a quick google search it is series wound and its in the Four Wheeler with a familiar red rig on its lid where the driver was trying to decide which critter to eat for dinner. :D

Red Loctite is your friend.

Rev

yeah...i couldn't find any at the house so i just snugged them up for now. sometime this week i'll pull the inspection cover again and put some on them.

on a side note, the new to me ac compressor i got from a pick n pull this week blows the coldest a/c i've had in the xj for a long time. it also is the quietest. hopefully this one will last for a bit. the clutch still has paint on it which leads me to believe that it was replaced at one time on the donor xj. we shall see

From a quick google image search they look just like the Milemarker/TMax/Summit/Gorilla/Chicago Electric rebadged China winches.

FWIW the only problem I had with my TMax was the overcomplicated wireless solenoid box that failed twice. For as often as you will use it, a cheap winch *should* work fine. I have heard "Buy a cheap winch every couple years or buy a good one once." That being said, I doubt a Warn will find it's way into my ARB bumper.

There are things to skimp on, on a rig. The winch is not one of them.

I wheel with WARN

mac 'winchdepot.com' gyvr

So the gears got done on brendon's XJ on sunday. Me and Rosco helped cause the gear guy is a good buddy.

Seth (gear guy) and Rosco pulling a bearing on the pinion
ed73af2b.jpg

Rosco and I checking the pattern
dbeed46f.jpg

Took two times got a nice pattern
3691e0e8.jpg

Welded up the rear sterling while we were there. Can barely see it in the pic, but got a nice pattern on it as well.
96f53fc9.jpg

Brendon has a driveshaft that is too long...I'm dropping it off to be shortened.
d625e11e.jpg

Then...after all the work done on his XJ...and a few cups of woodchuck...we came up with the list to get his junk trail ready.
5bfeef7f.jpg

mac 'was a good afternoon/evening...been drinking since 6pm' gyvr

Got the broken hitch bolts drilled out of the ZJ this week. Paid the price for being lazy, but at least it's done. Hitch and Mopar gas tank skid going on this weekend. Need to find the pop in the front end too.

Done. It's not super beefy, but for $25 it'll work. One of the hitch bolts had already been broken off for who knows how long, hitch and skid are properly fastened with all 6 bolts now :D

Painted the bumper cover also. Black looks much better than faded out grey. (Not done in the pic)

Photo0085.jpg

yeah...i couldn't find any at the house so i just snugged them up for now. sometime this week i'll pull the inspection cover again and put some on them.

I set mine on the MJ to "bastard tight" (a little less than as tight as I could possibly get them with a 15mm gearwrench, threads lubed with used 5w30 and most certainly not loctited) and it easily held for another year worth of abusive driving. They were just as tight as the day I did it when I unscrewed em to separate the trans from the old motor.

So the gears got done on brendon's XJ on sunday. Me and Rosco helped cause the gear guy is a good buddy.

Seth (gear guy) and Rosco pulling a bearing on the pinion
ed73af2b.jpg

Rosco and I checking the pattern
dbeed46f.jpg

Took two times got a nice pattern
3691e0e8.jpg

Welded up the rear sterling while we were there. Can barely see it in the pic, but got a nice pattern on it as well.
96f53fc9.jpg

Brendon has a driveshaft that is too long...I'm dropping it off to be shortened.
d625e11e.jpg

Then...after all the work done on his XJ...and a few cups of woodchuck...we came up with the list to get his junk trail ready.
5bfeef7f.jpg

mac 'was a good afternoon/evening...been drinking since 6pm' gyvr

Thanks again guys! It looks great. Mac, thanks for taking the driveshaft to be shortened.

I appreciate the list as well! As you can tell I have some work to do lol

had to drive to Augusta IL yesterday. my wife's grandmother on her dads side died.

that was a hell of a drive, i didnt look at a map or look to see where i was headed, had no directions. we just decided to follow my BIL out there he got us there in just over 4 hrs. followed the wife's cousin home, the route he took was just about 5-1/2 hrs.

i really don't like not knowing where i am headed, turns out if i kept on 139 i woulda hit the cheese factory's town....

Went to Hannibal, MO on Saturday to see Tyler and pick up some parts from myself and some other peeps. Coming back the new-to-me truck began blowing smoke under the slightest load and it's not fast anymore. I've suspected my fuel pressure regulator has been going out but now I'm wondering if I have something else going on, maybe a boost leak. Don't want to fix it, but I don't want to pay for it either. Hoping one of these days I can get a truck that will go 1000 miles without needing some major repair.

Mac, it looks like the next race is August 25th, assuming that's the next time you'll be out to the Badlands? I can bring Dan's bumper out to you.

Sam/Rew, I'm out of town the next two weekends but if either of you want to come down I'll get you my address and let you know how to get into the garage. Being creative I think you could get it all into an XJ with the seat folded down. Remember you've got those axles now and that 36" tire for arthur (if you don't mind).

Brad. I may driving up I65 to Chicago from Indy next week on my way to a Chrysler warehouse. After that I am stopping at Mac's to pick up the jeep. Then back to Auburn Hills. If it's easier for the parties involved, I can pick up the bumper from you then deliver to either Mac or Dan if he wants to meet up in Michigan before August 17th.

Just an option. I should find out today if I will be heading to Chicago or not.

Back