• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

I must admit that when the bobcat came off it was also my fault in the means of not using a heavy enough secondary chain in the mix of things. when the primary chain came loose the secondary chain was underated for the #'s it was used for..lesson learned..and a chain is not a chain is not a chain..just like everything, they have grades and limits..(I am sure most know that, but some out there do not).

Cheese "lucky no one was killed" Man

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/80/UltraPacks

That's what I picked up for tie-downs, and it should be more than sufficient for da Heep.

Chains would be fine for axle tie-down, I don't think I'd want to use them for a body connection on a lifted 4x4. The suspensions have too much flex in them for a binder, even a screw-type binder, to really tie them down well. All the farm equipment back home was always tied down with chains, and never had a problem.

Realistically, it's hard to go overboard when it comes to tie-downs. Unless you're using 40k rated logging chain to hold down a lawn mower.

yeah... I'm going to have to give those guys a call as soon as I get the head gasket replaced on the M54A2.

Another expense I forgot was involved in having a tow rig... damnit!

I think that most of the basic tie-down from Mac's are 10k rated.

I decided that I wanted separate axle loop, makes it easier to replace when they get sliced. I may just order some extra axle loops out of sheer paranoia.

I just use the yellow 10,000lbers. There WAY long, but I got them cheep and, I have used them for other things. I think they're 20'. I take the extra length and pull it tight and close it in the hatch or front doors.
I try to remember to spray them down with WD-40 after every use.(not the strap, just the ratchet part.)

I'd like to put a storage box on the trailer to keep all of it in.

by time I get to the Badlands Oct 2, I should have my trailer in better shape.

my last trip killed a wheel bearing. I will replace all four.
my one fender is still flopping around. Iwill have it weld to the trailer better.

I will put in tie down anchors on each side of the vehicle to settle my paranoia (thanks Jeff, it is spreading)

I also had a turn signal not working....and will check the brakes.

BOB

Ok, I decided that the MWC sticker was cool enough after all to go on the CJ, as long as it wasn't too prominent. First sticker I've put on it. Lousy pictures, it's almost dark here right now.

100_1094.jpg

100_1095.jpg

+1 for Mac's straps. When I first got my trailer I was pretty put out that I'd have to spend $150 for tie-downs (I thought offroading/towing was a cheap hobby!?), but pretty quickly figured out that it wasn't worth looking around for anything cheaper. Mine are 10k break I think (3.3k WLL).

I have to hit them with PB blaster periodically to keep them working nice; the weather has done a number on them. Haven't had them two years yet but I'll probably buy a new set in the spring to be on the safe side.

I went to TSC, they had axle loops with the metal ends and decent straps.

10K breaking strength, 3K WLL. They look just like the ones my brother bought from Summit.

I went to TSC, they had axle loops with the metal ends and decent straps.

10K breaking strength, 3K WLL. They look just like the ones my brother bought from Summit.

same here for the axle straps, mine even have a "sleeve" that is over the strap so it is extra thick and allows the strap to slide into place on the axle without snagging on anything. They were less then $20 each. I still go between chains and starps depending on where I am hauling to. Usually cross straps on the front axle and then chain up and over the rear diff. I also have a box on the front of the trailer that I have extra chain or straps in and misc tie downs and bungee straps (and maybe some smashed beer cans etc).

Cheese "chains, straps...did someone say whips?" Man

+1 for Mac's straps. When I first got my trailer I was pretty put out that I'd have to spend $150 for tie-downs (I thought offroading/towing was a cheap hobby!?), but pretty quickly figured out that it wasn't worth looking around for anything cheaper. Mine are 10k break I think (3.3k WLL).

I have to hit them with PB blaster periodically to keep them working nice; the weather has done a number on them. Haven't had them two years yet but I'll probably buy a new set in the spring to be on the safe side.

I hang mine up in the garage and hit them with some silicone each time.

BOB

same here for the axle straps, mine even have a "sleeve" that is over the strap so it is extra thick and allows the strap to slide into place on the axle without snagging on anything. They were less then $20 each. I still go between chains and starps depending on where I am hauling to. Usually cross straps on the front axle and then chain up and over the rear diff. I also have a box on the front of the trailer that I have extra chain or straps in and misc tie downs and bungee straps (and maybe some smashed beer cans etc).

Cheese "chains, straps...did someone say whips?" Man

yeah, the axle straps with the slidey sleeve were like $15, prety sure the axle straps with the metal ends were rated to 25K. I know the ratchet straps were 10K break.

I hang mine up in the garage and hit them with some silicone each time.

BOB

BOB, are you referring to the straps or those homeless hookers? :D

Cheese "street people need luvin' too!" Man

Roxtar's rig ate it on the highway, if I remember correctly. Though that was a different scenario slightly.

just got in from Arkansas, man its beautiful down there but the WJ don't like the hills

Back