• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Speaking of trailer problems (few pages back)... I am about done with the brakes on mine. I can't get the RH drums to grab hard like the LH ones do. They are getting power; if I jack up the trailer and spin the tires by hand, I can grab the controller and stop them. But loaded up with a Jeep, trailer brakes just pull the whole thing hard to the right. They are "self-adjusting" (right..), I even tried to pull the drum and adjust manually but then I couldn't get the drum over the shoes.

Drove to the Badlands and back this weekend without trailer brakes, drove fine but not something I'll want to do when I drive 8 hours to Harlan.

Oh and while backing the trailer up the driveway I clipped the mailbox, scraped the fender on the Tahoe and ripped the crappy aluminum factory brush guard apart. Rough day, it's beer time...

Speaking of trailer problems (few pages back)... I am about done with the brakes on mine. I can't get the RH drums to grab hard like the LH ones do. They are getting power; if I jack up the trailer and spin the tires by hand, I can grab the controller and stop them. But loaded up with a Jeep, trailer brakes just pull the whole thing hard to the right. They are "self-adjusting" (right..), I even tried to pull the drum and adjust manually but then I couldn't get the drum over the shoes.
The brakes on my trailer are not self adjusting. I adjust them manually. When I do it, I take the plug off the access hole located on the inside of the mounting plate, and adjust them with the hub on the brakes. I adjust them to where there is some drag (and approx. the same amount of drag) on the hubs. I cannot tell you this is the "proper procedure", but it works for me. HTH ...

Les

The brakes on my trailer are not self adjusting. I adjust them manually. When I do it, I take the plug off the access hole located on the inside of the mounting plate, and adjust them with the hub on the brakes. I adjust them to where there is some drag (and approx. the same amount of drag) on the hubs. I cannot tell you this is the "proper procedure", but it works for me. HTH ...

Les

Yea, the trailer shop upsold me to the self-adjusting ones, and I bought them because I would rather work on my Jeep than constantly maintain trailer brakes. The damn self-adjusting arm blocks the star wheel from the access hole, so I can't manually adjust without taking it all apart. Wish now I would have just bought the normal ones. I hate hate hate drum brakes on anything, XJ is getting Explorer discs soon and the Tahoe will get a disc conversion after that...

Yea, the trailer shop upsold me to the self-adjusting ones ...

I'd give them a call about your problem ... maybe they can help.

Disc brakes are the way to go ... one of the best upgrades on an XJ is swapping out the rear drums for disc IMO.

Les

Why are my buddies checking out that mustang instead of my sweet XJ?

Looks good, i still have that skid plate sitting in my kitchen, i can probably qualify for the laziest jeeper

bought a JET metal band saw last week, best tool in the new shop that I have bought as of late. Next up I am going for a new drill press...at the rate I am saving cash from not eating or drinking anything good, I will have the $ in no time flat! :D

In addition to all my other trailer problems, I noticed my axles are bent, making the wheels off-camber so the tires don't wear right. So I ordered a set of axle beams online with 3-day shipping. It's been 10 days. I've e-mailed the place 3 times, but still haven't been charged or given a ship notice. Finally call them today, get transferred, listen to the phone ring for 3 minutes, then hang up and try again, get transferred two more times, to a guy who has to put me on hold for 5 minutes, only to come back and tell me my card was declined (not sure why). I asked them if their standard policy was just to ignore an order in that situation, or maybe get ahold of the customer and get things resolved to make a sale. He wasn't sure. Told him it didn't matter, that he could just throw that order away while I try to find another distributor.

So pissed off at the whole deal right now...

In addition to all my other trailer problems, I noticed my axles are bent, making the wheels off-camber so the tires don't wear right. So I ordered a set of axle beams online with 3-day shipping. It's been 10 days. I've e-mailed the place 3 times, but still haven't been charged or given a ship notice. Finally call them today, get transferred, listen to the phone ring for 3 minutes, then hang up and try again, get transferred two more times, to a guy who has to put me on hold for 5 minutes, only to come back and tell me my card was declined (not sure why). I asked them if their standard policy was just to ignore an order in that situation, or maybe get ahold of the customer and get things resolved to make a sale. He wasn't sure. Told him it didn't matter, that he could just throw that order away while I try to find another distributor.

So pissed off at the whole deal right now...
You might want to consider calling your CC company and ask about the decline. It may be that somebody fatfingered a key, in which case the CC company will tell you "No declines." Or, there really is a problem with your account. But you probably do want to know the real story.

You might want to consider calling your CC company and ask about the decline. It may be that somebody fatfingered a key, in which case the CC company will tell you "No declines." Or, there really is a problem with your account. But you probably do want to know the real story.

It's a debit card, I use it for everything, so I'm certain the card still works. I suppose maybe I mistyped the number or the expiration, but it seems unlikely since I order stuff online all the time.

Maybe they deal with a lot of sketchy customers who get their cards declined, I'm just pissed that they never thought to call me and let me know, if I had known 8 days ago I would have been glad to verify the info with them. So now I have 8 days to get axle beams before I go to Harlan. Nothing like waiting till the last minute...

(waiting for a "Post the card number and expiration date here and we'll check it for you" post) :D

You may be sure that the card still works....... but call Customer Service and *ASK*. If they never ran the right card number, you should be golden. If there is a decline on your account, now's the time to deal with it.

Either way..... yes, find another supplier.

You may be sure that the card still works....... but call Customer Service and *ASK*. If they never ran the right card number, you should be golden. If there is a decline on your account, now's the time to deal with it.

Either way..... yes, find another supplier.

I see what you're saying, that is a good idea... going to call the bank now and find out what happened.

etrailer.com or Northern Tool.

Heck, check Tractor Supply or Rural King, they both carry several axle beams.

I'll add "Big R" ... there is a store in Crawfordsville, so maybe there is one up in Lafayette. I was looking at their axles a couple months ago.

Les

Some axle beams have camber built into them, so when it's empty it might be riding on the outer ribs of the tires, but when it's loaded they will settle down and sit level.

I figure you already know that and they are not bent in a good way.:compwork:

I hate drum brakes too! but I just buy complete backing plates for my trailer.

I went a little crazy on one, I enlarged the adjuster hole so I could see. Everyone tells me that was a bad move, but it works fine.

Discovered over the weekend that my Tmax won't power in. It'll power out.......just not in. :mad:

Back