• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

look into an Orion cooker/smoker.....1/3 the time and twice as juicy. I love mine. All the people I camp with have Traggers, they are nice, but mine is just as good if not juicier and takes up a lot less space and is only about $175 and is stainless.....no pellets to buy, no electricity to be ran.

http://www.theorioncooker.com/

That is neat. Pretty easy to use? I like my electric because I can set it and go to bed or work in the garage and not worry about it.

I have only had one full time job since I been working (1999 started part time many jobs, 2004 is when I started my current full time job) and my insurance started immediately also.

I actually only used my health insurance twice the first 10 years I had it ( once when I had to get stitches in my finger and once when I was coughing so bad I couldn't sleep at night). Then I married a nurse, then I was told I need to go to the doctor, dentist and eye doctor. Dentist was good except for one cavity. Eye doctor was fine. Family doctor was fine at first, then they finally got a high blood pressure reading that my wife was getting at home. I went on medicine for it. Then high cholesterol. Hoping within a few years I can lose weight and get off the medicine for both.

Also, today my little princess is a month old. Those first few weeks was probably the most stressful moments of my life. Especially the weekend she spent in the hospital with an IV, in an incubator and me being afraid to hold her. These last few weeks she was really turned the corner and for the first time, I don't worry she isn't getting enough to eat or anything.

just because :D

I like the Carolina style, but I also drink white vinegar and pickle juice, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

We like it and eat it all the time. It's just not Texas or Memphis. It's more like a marinade sauce than a bbq sauce.

But don't tell someone from Carolina. They get all butt hurt.

When I stayed in NC for the month I had the "best" they had to offer. It's good but not my kind of BBQ.

Memphis style is usually my go to. I like the dry rubs a lot but I like to mix it up every so often.
Who does Carolina style better? SC or NC? or is that a touchy question?
I've never dabbled in TX BBQ much

Kansas City.....

the place you sent flex and I was really good but not my style. Arthur Bryant's.

I think NC is more of a pepper apple cider vinegar mop and SC is a mustard sauce but I'm not too sure. I like both when I get away from the Memphis dry rubs

That is neat. Pretty easy to use? I like my electric because I can set it and go to bed or work in the garage and not worry about it.

It is super simple to use, you load the meat, light the charcoal and walk away. I use a digital thermometer and check it every so often, but the cooking guide that comes with is pretty much spot on for the times per #'s of meat. I have not had a bad meal off of mine in the 3 years I have owned it.

Speaking of Flex
cbb1056151ab8aa944a7e9570475ed02.jpg

The bench was mounted at Redbird.

mac 'seat time' gyvr

It is super simple to use, you load the meat, light the charcoal and walk away. I use a digital thermometer and check it every so often, but the cooking guide that comes with is pretty much spot on for the times per #'s of meat. I have not had a bad meal off of mine in the 3 years I have owned it.

For that price I think I'll have to get one. Do you get a good smoke flavor? I've seen guys use trash cans to do turkeys that cook it pretty much the same way and they swear by it.

I soak my wood chips in water and sometimes vinegar and it puts on a great smoke flavor n even get a good smoke ring on the meat. It's the way to go for an affordable option.

I have only had one full time job since I been working (1999 started part time many jobs, 2004 is when I started my current full time job) and my insurance started immediately also.

I actually only used my health insurance twice the first 10 years I had it ( once when I had to get stitches in my finger and once when I was coughing so bad I couldn't sleep at night). Then I married a nurse, then I was told I need to go to the doctor, dentist and eye doctor. Dentist was good except for one cavity. Eye doctor was fine. Family doctor was fine at first, then they finally got a high blood pressure reading that my wife was getting at home. I went on medicine for it. Then high cholesterol. Hoping within a few years I can lose weight and get off the medicine for both.

Also, today my little princess is a month old. Those first few weeks was probably the most stressful moments of my life. Especially the weekend she spent in the hospital with an IV, in an incubator and me being afraid to hold her. These last few weeks she was really turned the corner and for the first time, I don't worry she isn't getting enough to eat or anything.

:D

texas brisket is about the only thing I've done that's texas style bbq. different parts of tx have way different styles too though. I'd love to check out Franklins BBQ if I ever make it down there. They seem to be the staple in TX BBQ

I love watching franklin bbq on YouTube and he has a tv show also. But TX style is pretty much just salt and pepper. I mostly salt and pepper but i like adding in a few other seasons also.
If you get down there better be prepared to wait in line. From what I've heard, he cooks until he sells out and usually has a line out the door. Rarely makes it past lunch without sending hungry people home.

Kman-also I think some law was passed that the wait time is 60days max now.

My new job tolde 60 days but when I called 2 weeks in to check out my benefits it was active and useable.

I love watching franklin bbq on YouTube and he has a tv show also. But TX style is pretty much just salt and pepper. I mostly salt and pepper but i like adding in a few other seasons also.
If you get down there better be prepared to wait in line. From what I've heard, he cooks until he sells out and usually has a line out the door. Rarely makes it past lunch without sending hungry people home.

Kman-also I think some law was passed that the wait time is 60days max now.

My new job tolde 60 days but when I called 2 weeks in to check out my benefits it was active and useable.
Agreed. I grew up using minimal seasoning and letting the wood and smoke do the work. Salt and pepper and occasional season all.

Back