• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

What kinda mpg does your PS get?

Hauling my jeep if I stay at 65 I can get 14-15 MPG, unloaded and staying at 65-70. I have gotten from 17 to 21 MPG. I only got 21 once and thats when I bought it, The P.O. told me to keep the EGT's lower than 800, LOL. Later on I found out I could get up to 1200 or 1300 and it's never been the same since. I think I could average better MPG than I do but there is just something about a 5" exhuast that makes me use the skinny pedal alot more. :scottm:

and you probably know that 2004.5 was the split year they put the HO Cummins in.....

I'll talk to Heidi but I'm not sure what my credit union will think about that mileage with that price. I'll hit you up back channel tomorrow

Jason, buy it! Do it!

My dad's 06 has 100k without a single trans issue. It's an auto. Bone stock, gets 22mpg on the highway. From what I hear the 6speed auto in the 4th gen trucks is as strong as an Allison.

Flexd'try buying a Cummins here'XJ

I can't own a dodge.... Cummins or not. I agree with the old sentiment "buy a cummins only to watch the truck fall apart around the motor"

I could get away with a manual trans.... But a manual second gen truck is apparently worth 20k

I liked my cummins but it came wrapped in a dodge. Crappy interiors and everything that would fall apart around the motor, tranny needed solenoids at 100k. My 06 megacab never got that great of mileage. Even unloaded it was only 14 or 15...12 with the single place.

TRE's are just an annual expense around here. This is the newer model so it is not the LB7 injector eating model. I know guys that have 300K on their LLY's and never replaced injectors....it is a crap shoot. My luck it will nuke on the way home.

My buddy scooby had an 08, motor replaced at 80k under warranty, motor blew up again at 120k, traded it for a 13...all chevys.

2004.5 Dodge 3500, 208K, tranny rebuilt @ 20K ago with a billet TC and carbon clutches, front end gone through with new busings and TRE's where needed, new Timkin wheel bearings, 19.5's w/ newer virgin tread up front and 4 new rough tread recaps on back with 75% or more tread, Bradford Built skirted flatbed, FabFour front bumper/grill guard combo, K&N intake, full exhaust w/ mild straight muffler under body (good low tone, but not annoying) no tuner on it since me or the previous owner (a close friend of mine). 3 owners, out of Arkansas, no rust except around the doors on the flat bed due to shitty powdercoating on them, all power options. Will sell with the 19.5's on it, and they have a slight vibe due to the recaps I am told. I have a set of factory rims w/ new Yokohoma tires that I can trade out for the same price (they are a lot better road tire and quiet in comparison to the 19.5's). It is a good, soild truck, I just want a GM. Was offered $16,800 on trade, so wanting to stay around that figure.

IMG_20130318_113333_zps5ff4e5b6.jpg

A buddy of mine just bought an 04 (not sure on the .5 year) with 180k for $19,500...and financed it. Easy to work on, but holy crap I couldn't believe he paid that much...apparently that's what they sell for...

mac 'for a couple grand more I would've sold him my truck' gyvr

The v-10 in the RV pulls as hard as any of the three diesels that I've owned. Mileage to amount of weight appears to be about on par with the diesel trucks. Gas is 50 cents to a dollar cheaper than diesel. Maintenance on a gas motor is a LOT less than a diesel...

Modern gas motors last just as long as modern diesel motors.

I'm not sure at this point why I'd go back to a diesel...unless it was a pusher RV.

mac 'let you know in a couple years' gyvr

My 06 megacab never got that great of mileage. Even unloaded it was only 14 or 15...12 with the single place.

IIRC Tyler used to get 21 hwy with his 04 before he had hot sh*t injectors built for it....but that was unloaded with the smarty super econo tune a manual trans and driving like super grandma. we used to go between chattanooga and atlanta without the fuel needle leaving the F. he had lots of $$ in exhaust, programming, and fuel system parts too. his is a quad cab shortbed, probably lighter too

my big block gets 12mpg on cheaper fuel with no mods and a 7k buy in :D

short"not a diesel guy yet"xjdoug

I've heard that alot with SD's they have a bigger turbo and alot bigger injectors. Maybe that's why?

I don't really ever care about MPG, if I did I have the wrong hobby!!!

I stopped worrying about gas mileage when i realized i was basically buying liquid flammable dinosaur bones...

That because they don't make it far enough!!!!

The longest road trip my buddies cummins took in the 2 years he's owned it was across the state on the trailer behind my powerstroke to get the trans rebuilt:firedevil

Rule #1 is to never buy anything with a dodge auto trans in it.

I got 13 mpg to Moab and 11 mpg coming home. That had a lot to do with making up time on the 75 mph zones on the way home.

I consistently get 16 mpg daily, city/highway 20 miles to work. I have gotten 18.5 mpg unloaded on a 700 mile interstate trip, but the truck doesn't seem to care whether it's on the highway or it's driving to work, the mileage is about the same.

I call BS on anyone in a 8-10,000 lb diesel truck who says they consistently get 20+ mpg. I can make my truck get that kind of mileage if I drive 45 mph to work, but all those figures are just people blowing smoke. Compare apples to apples, the way you drive every day.

All cummins get 30 mpg towing 30k at 80 mph...

mac 'lie-o-meters' gyvr

My junk 6.9 got 18 mpg going 55 across the.UP with front hubs locked.
14 mpg at 65/70 from Iowa to up with locked hubs.
1.5 gal of oil from Sheffield to St Ignace.

That's with a c6 and 3.55 gears in a 29 year old truck with 1300lbs in the bed.
we will see if the new motor does any better.

I call BS on anyone in a 8-10,000 lb diesel truck who says they consistently get 20+ mpg. I can make my truck get that kind of mileage if I drive 45 mph to work, but all those figures are just people blowing smoke. Compare apples to apples, the way you drive every day.

I wouldn't believe it either if I wasn't the one who did the math :D

The catch is it really turned us into a not diesel truck. 6th gear, barely holding 65 and letting the whole world pass us. The super econo tune really castrates the almighty cummins.

cheese man, keep the dodge, buy the chevy, let them have babies and then you'll have a helluva truck!! :)

I really like the look of that dodge, our 2003 1500 dodge was a nice truck, had the 360 and tranny issues. the interior was that of a truck, but it functioned. for it being a 1500 it did us real well other than fuel mileage and the tranny, it did very well the time I brought it to wf, with a slide in and jeep behind. I was impressed.

picture.php

Back