• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Just got off the phone with winchdepot.com. Sure is nice to get a brand new winch for under $100.00. :D I bought a 10,000 smittybuilt last year and the automatic load hold gave up the ghost at Winterfest. So I pay to ship it to them, they pay to ship it to me, and I pay $50.00 for a lifetime warranty on the new winch. I like that.

not bad.

I got my lightly used smittybuilt xrc8 for 100 bucks off a friend, in pieces. It needed to be reassembled. Between that and my front porch (I mean, bumper) I have 200 bucks into front recovery points and a working winch.

Wooo hoooo

just got a big ole 6.8 engine off a fed ex truck, we have this little makeshift hand forklift. i got the motor down off the truck and moving in the shop when i hit a bump and the tinny wheels on this forklift got stuck knocking the motor off of the forks in slow mo this thing went over on to its side

In other news...
should i buy a ZJ that i dont need? 95ish with the v8

If the motor runs well and the tranny isn't shot and it's a good price, buy it. I never used to think there would be that much of a difference and then I did a brake job for a friend of a friend on a 95 V8 ZJ. Good lord that thing hauls ass.

Then put a manual of some sort behind it and stuff it in the XJ. People have put NV3550s and AX15s behind them from what I've read... bellhousings pulled out of various Dodge (some Dakotas and some Ram 1500s) pickups will mate the two up. Apparently the NV3550 from Dodges has a built-in bellhousing but hey, you could always swap the tranny too and they match up well with NP231s (NP231D?) I guess.

Then put a manual of some sort behind it and stuff it in the XJ. People have put NV3550s and AX15s behind them from what I've read... bellhousings pulled out of various Dodge (some Dakotas and some Ram 1500s) pickups will mate the two up. Apparently the NV3550 from Dodges has a built-in bellhousing but hey, you could always swap the tranny too and they match up well with NP231s (NP231D?) I guess.

AX15 bellhousing from a Dakota will mate up to the Magnum engines (3.9, 5.2 and 5.9). However, the starter is on the driver's side, whereas in the ZJs the starter pocket is on the passenger's side, regardless of whether it has the I6 or the V8. They do this on the V8s to make room for the exhaust on the driver's side. To date I only think I've read of one or two ZJs with V8s and manual swaps. What you're suggesting though (swapping it into an XJ) might be easier, surprisingly the XJs seem to have a lot more room under the hood than ZJs. Probably obvious by this point that I did some investigation into a manual swap at one point...

Some 10 years ago, I actually wheeled down at the Badlands with a ZJ and an AX15. IIRC, a 5spd was only available in 93 in a ZJ, and he got one of the few factory shipped ZJs that way. I don't remember what engine he had, though.

Some 10 years ago, I actually wheeled down at the Badlands with a ZJ and an AX15. IIRC, a 5spd was only available in 93 in a ZJ, and he got one of the few factory shipped ZJs that way. I don't remember what engine he had, though.

Awesome! Rare combination. You're absolutely right, they were only available in '93. And they were only available with the 4.0L.

AX15 bellhousing from a Dakota will mate up to the Magnum engines (3.9, 5.2 and 5.9). However, the starter is on the driver's side, whereas in the ZJs the starter pocket is on the passenger's side, regardless of whether it has the I6 or the V8. They do this on the V8s to make room for the exhaust on the driver's side. To date I only think I've read of one or two ZJs with V8s and manual swaps. What you're suggesting though (swapping it into an XJ) might be easier, surprisingly the XJs seem to have a lot more room under the hood than ZJs. Probably obvious by this point that I did some investigation into a manual swap at one point...
nope, I hadn't guessed that at all... :D

Yeah, the AX15 and the AW4 were available for a short period in 93, same as the Grand Wagoneer package was available then. After that they did away with all the cool stuff and started putting chrysler slushbox turds in the ZJs.

I'd absolutely love to put a 5.9 in the MJ but I have the parts for a 4.0/AX15/NP231/8.25/d30 install right now, so that's happening first.

I puked 4 times between 9pm and 2am last night...

mac 'only time i normally puke is alcohol related' gyvr

hoping I'm not coming down with the same thing, a lot of my co-workers are. I woke up today feeling like I drank battery acid.

Probably the massive quantity of peanut butter I consumed last night though. I like peanut butter and if I'm working on something and have a jar of it around, I snack on it without really thinking about it and then most of it is gone... oof.

Ex had a 93 4.0 ZJ with a 5 speed.... And some crazy lifter tick when hot!

were you drinking?

unfortunately no...i tried going to work...ended up leaving after two hours...

hoping I'm not coming down with the same thing, a lot of my co-workers are. I woke up today feeling like I drank battery acid.

Probably the massive quantity of peanut butter I consumed last night though. I like peanut butter and if I'm working on something and have a jar of it around, I snack on it without really thinking about it and then most of it is gone... oof.

I had black coming out both en....nevermind :) it was gross...

I'm not even going to touch the peanut butter...

I'm going to try semi-solid foods this evening...

mac 'my dog likes peanut butter' gyvr

In about a year, I will be working in a new building.......about dang time.

unfortunately no...i tried going to work...ended up leaving after two hours...

I had black coming out both en....nevermind :) it was gross...

I'm not even going to touch the peanut butter...

I'm going to try semi-solid foods this evening...

mac 'my dog likes peanut butter' gyvr

feel better mac. I had it immediately after WF, it sucks. I had super sweats tuesday night.

If the motor runs well and the tranny isn't shot and it's a good price, buy it. I never used to think there would be that much of a difference and then I did a brake job for a friend of a friend on a 95 V8 ZJ. Good lord that thing hauls ass.

has done a 3-wheel peel in his V-8 ZJ

of course that could be part of the reason the TC is crapped out.

Back